1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, grim BBC series, about a unit uncovering police corruption, and, corruption in general.

I've yet to see the final episode of this latest series, but typically there's some minor wins with a lot of collateral damage, and the institutionalised corruption grinds on. Those who stand against corruption get our admiration but, on average, don't fare terribly well. I'm left with the impression that perhaps they should have given up and gone to farm goats in a land with a bit more sunshine. Probably best you don't watch it @dave30th, lest you get the same impression. We need you fighting the good fight a bit longer.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Louie41, FMMM1, cfsandmore and 8 others like this.
  2. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ted Hastings is a bit of a cult hero for many, standing for truth, integrity, and the letter of the law. He's head of a fictional UK Police Anti-corruption unit called AC-12. I am a recent convert and now addict of the show which has just concluded its 6th series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_Duty

3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My youngest aged about 2 1/2 used to love his sister's hamster and go and push bits of lettuce thro the bars of the cage. Even after she nipped him one day, he still persisted!

For some reason watchdogs without teeth made me think of gummy bears.

Anyway, back to Cochrane...

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Louie41, FMMM1, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No more Line of Duty spoilers please! I've only just started watching.

Hutan, Louie41, JoanneS and 11 others like this.
  5. Caroline Struthers

I heard from COPE today, and, as expected, it's all magically "out of scope". At least Cochrane were bounced into putting the "do not use" notice on both records of the CBT review which I am sure they would not have done otherwise. I have attached the final response from COPE and my reply to it.

Attached Files:

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

COPE what a waste of space that is - definitely something the Science Select Committee should be looking at. If COPE can’t actually do anything it should be shut down and replaced by a regulator which can act.

7. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good idea. Will you write to them Caroline? Might be worth cc-ing Carol Monaghan and your MP too.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weird how accountability and oversight are out of everyone's scope. Even organizations whose very scope is oversight and accountability. Funny how that doesn't work. People had to decide to do those things. And yet those people can somehow claim they didn't.

I guess people just assume someone else must be doing it. But clearly it's just an honor code. Which breaks down completely when dishonorable people have the upper hand.

But this does confirm that there is genuinely no oversight or accountability in the system. Everything is just a suggestion unless someone decides otherwise, and it's all down to personal judgment and/or interests. If no one meets the intersection of interested and able to do something about it, there may as well be a rubber chicken in charge for all that it matters.

9. NelliePledge

@Caroline Struthers just tagging you as @Robert 1973 addressed this question to you

10. Caroline Struthers

Yes I will...will run the letter past you all first.

11. Caroline Struthers

12. NelliePledge

@Hilda Bastian now less than 3 weeks to the end of May is the progress report still likely to be this month?

13. Hilda Bastian

Hilda Bastian Guest Guest

Oh yes! I wouldn't have given a timeframe if I wasn't sure.

14. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s good to hear, although I am mindful that you told us in March that “it shouldn’t take anything like that long” when asked if it would be published by 21 April:

15. NelliePledge

And just clarifying that ‘giving a timeframe ’ in this case was saying yes to a question put to elicit a timeframe.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  16. Hilda Bastian

Hilda Bastian Guest Guest

Yes, I didn't think it would - but then I had to set aside finalizing the report for something else that came up with this project. That's all done, and the reporting process is on track.

17. Caroline Struthers

I attended most of the session with NICE at #Virtually Cochrane on 22nd April. https://uk.cochrane.org/our-work/events/virtually-cochrane-2021

I followed up NICE's response to a question about whether they give feedback to Cochrane when relevant Cochrane reviews cannot be used in guidelines. The moderator paraphrased the question and didn't mention the bit about the reviews being misleading and harmful. In my email (pasted below) I asked whether they also fed back to triallists and to their funders when studies reviewed by NICE were rated as of too low quality to support treatment recommendations. I think this is one service Cochrane and/or NICE could provide which would be a constructive way to improve future research, and, in the case of Cochrane, address the "garbage in garbage out" which afflicts many Cochrane reviews.

upload_2021-5-15_11-58-21.png
    My email to Clare Wohlgemuth is below

Sent: 14 May 2021 15:13
    Subject: Feedback to Cochrane from NICE Guideline Developers

Dear Clare (if I may)

I am writing to you in a personal capacity, not as a representative of my employer.

I recently attended Virtually Cochrane as a consumer advocate, including the session Collaboration,
    NICEly done (https://uk.cochrane.org/collaboration-nicely-done). I am following up on the answer you
    gave during the Q&A about giving feedback to Cochrane if their reviews can’t be used in a guideline.

For the recent draft NICE guideline for ME/CFS, the evidence review for non-pharmacological
    management, (https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-ng10091/documents/evidence-review-7), states
    that two reviews currently on the Cochrane Library could not be used. One Cochrane review of exercise
    interventions (Larun 2017) and one Cochrane review of cognitive behavioural therapy (Price 2008) did
    not include all critical outcomes specified in the NICE review protocol and included study populations
    where not all participants had ME/CFS. Please could you let me know if more detailed feedback was
    sent to Cochrane as per the guidance in the NICE Guideline Support Document which states the relevant
    Review Group, Network, and Toby Lasserson would be notified when this occurs. Please do pass this
    enquiry on to the appropriate person at NICE who can let me know.

Do NICE also give feedback to triallists if the trials are of too low quality to be used to support treatment
    recommendations? That would be a valuable public service both NICE and Cochrane could provide to
    help drive up research standards. It would be especially powerful if funders were made aware of cases
    when their funding had not produced good enough quality evidence to inform clinical guidelines.

I have also recently been made aware that both the Cochrane reviews mentioned above have been used
    in the NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary for tiredness in adults (https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/tiredness-
    fatigue-in-adults/), specifically to advise referral for exercise or CBT to management those who meet the
    diagnostic criteria for CFS (sic) (https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/tiredness-fatigue-in-
    adults/management/management/). This directly contradicts what is in the draft guideline for ME/CFS
    which recommends people with ME/CFS should not be offered any therapy based on physical activity or
    exercise as a treatment or cure, or any programme based on fixed incremental increases in physical
    activity or exercise, for example graded exercise therapy. It also recommends not offering CBT as a
    treatment or cure for ME/CFS. I have lodged this concern via your feedback system
    https://www.nice.org.uk/leave-feedback

Cochrane have recently added an editorial note to the CBT review
    (https://www.cochrane.org/CD001027/DEPRESSN_cognitive-behaviour-therapy-chronic-fatigue-
    syndrome) to say it should not be used for clinical decision making. However the review has already
    been used in four recent clinical guidelines, including the NICE Clinical Knowledge
    Summary. https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001027.pub2/related-
    content#guidelines_data. As far as I know, Cochrane have not contacted NICE or the other three
    guideline producers to alert them. Again, do pass this question onto Toby if appropriate, or I could
    contact him direct.

With best wishes

Caroline

sea, Sly Saint, Cheshire and 33 others like this.
  18. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great article in the Healthwatch Spring newsletter, by @Caroline Struthers

https://www.healthwatch-uk.org/publications/newsletter/newsletter-114/221-114-cbt-get.html

Ariel, Hutan, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The page says that the meeting will be co-chaired by Fiona Godlee. I hope your question(s) will be addressed directly rather than evasively.

Ariel, Michelle, Snow Leopard and 7 others like this.