1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intimidation of PACE critics or critics of other Psychosocial research

Discussion in 'MEpedia' started by Sly Saint, Feb 20, 2019.

1. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, as mentioned in the letter from the Countess of Mar on the first page of this thread, he invited her to lunch, which indeed sounds higher up the hierarchy than coffee, as befits a Countess - but, when she arrived he presented her with just a bottle of water and left her to buy her own lunch! Not sure what to make of that! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lisa108, MEMarge, inox and 2 others like this.
  2. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Talk about sending mixed messages :noteworthy: no worries, a nice dose of cbt can help with that..? :angelic: :rofl:

Lisa108, MEMarge and EzzieD like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not a fan of participation trophies, not even a bit. I am even less of a fan of sabotage trophies. HIV deniers do bring a lot of contribution to the AIDS debate. It is completely wrong and therefore not constructive debate, just like Wessely's weird obsessive beliefs.

Lisa108 and MEMarge like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is worth recording the date (and time if available) for everything recorded in this thread.

Inara and MEMarge like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would mean the Countess of Mar was at the bottom of the hierarchy (Edit : In SW's view), based on the treatment she got from SW. Didn't he invite her for lunch a few years ago then didn't actually offer her any food or drink, bought his own lunch, and she had to order and pay for her own glass of water and a sandwich? Or did I just dream that?

Edit : I didn't dream it, but I got the details about who provided what a bit wrong :

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...r-to-professor-simon-wessely-4-december-2012/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    ladycatlover likes this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't help but wonder if lunch = water then what does coffee = ?

Presumably something less useful and cheaper than tap water.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe means "you can go f' coffee" ...

Wonko likes this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The psychology of this is probably quite complex. One can reasonably presume (in the way that psychologists tend to) that subconscious factors, transference, peer pressure and that other word I can never remember are deeply involved.

It may not be so much hierarchy as conflicted emotions relating to social class and sexism. In my case the offer of a beer between chaps, when the assumption is that the other chap will agree once he has had a nice beer, seems fairly straightforward male bonding behaviour.

A coffee is a suitable suggestion for a female colleague, to avoid any suggestion of a chat up.

But buying lunch for a Lady of the Realm or peeress might be a bit tricky. It might be construed as improper inducement of a member of the Upper House. Think of all those expenses scandals. There might also be a wallet conflict. Margaret might have ordered a half dozen oysters followed by chateaubriand and zabaglione. Perhaps someone just bottled out, so to speak.

It is always important to take a sympathetic view of people's motives, especially in psychiatry.

Trish, Arnie Pye, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  9. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we are overthinking this and he is just running out of money spending from his entire salary on constant Freudian analysis to deal with the trauma of patients challenging his authority with facts?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A rather strange way to drink it!

NelliePledge and TiredSam like this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, he's very qualified... :)

Ed.jpg Ed2.jpg

[If you're wondering about "Dr." Ed's bushy white hair, I'm pretty sure it's a reference to Sam Jaffe's portrayal of "Dr. Zorba" on the "Ben Casey" TV series in the early 1960's.

Snow Leopard, Starlight and Wonko like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lisa108, MEMarge, Lidia and 3 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Sonia Poulton, journalist in the UK"
    I watched one of her documentaries on Youtube yesterday ("Madeleine McCann: Public Relations and Saving Reputations"). Powerful stuff; many comparisons, particularly towards the end, with the 'ME story' in terms of powerful people, controlling the media and public narrative and vilifying those who question it.
    Maybe good Youtube documentaries are the way around lack of proper media exposure in the UK?

Inara, NelliePledge, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I've just watched that. In it she recommends Richard D Halls's analysis of Clarence Mitchell, which I've also just watched, along with some other stuff by Richard D Hall. Based on that, I would say that Richard D Hall is without doubt a complete nutter conspiracy theorist (secret space program, protocols of zion, apollo landings, commentaries on various killings, statement analysis (pseudoscience), anything and everything really). By recommending him Sonia Poulton seriously undermines her own credibility, if her involvement with David Icke's internet TV station wasn't enough.

Oh well, what a shame.

SP recommends Richard Hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw8ednZYRbI

Richard Hall:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQwCjFkhLbdpsu1xUDm7oGA/videos

SP's involvement with David Icke's TV station:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People's_Voice_(internet_TV_station)

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"I was once falsely accused of ‘personally harassing’ Professor Wessely by a Wikipedia administrator, claiming Wessely had told him this himself. I take an opposing public position to Professor Wessely’s, both on a political and academic level. I have NEVER harassed Professor Wessely"
    Angela Kennedy

comment under this article:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/l...me-death-threats-for-scientists/#.XHkhkbijjCN

Lisa108, Inara, Cheshire and 6 others like this.
  17. Alvin

I assume someone is taking all the examples from this thread and putting them on MEPedia?

rvallee likes this.
  18. Alvin