Long COVID Was a Preventable Tragedy. Some of Us Saw It Coming, Brian Vastag

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by John Mac, Sep 15, 2022.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure where to post this but it is mainly about ME/CFS

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220915/long-covid-preventable-tragedy-some-saw-it-coming

ahimsa, RedFox, Mithriel and 24 others like this.
  2. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right at the beginning of the outbreak I had a look through the 3 ME/CFS papers from China around the SARS outbreak. They had about 50% of all sufferers with lasting symptoms and long term it was 10%, there was no one recovered years later, they called it what it was from the outset they didn't make up a new name for it they recognised it and diagnosed it like a competent healthcare system should. Then once the Irish nurses report came out (July 2020 I think) that 40% of them were suffering symptoms past the initial acute infection I figured it was a slightly milder SARs and figured it would show the same rough 20% of long term sufferers would end up with ME/CFS. Looks a little high based on the practical rate in the UK of ~3% but then some studies are finding it to be about 8% so its unclear if the ONS is missing them (the NHS certainly isn't diagnosing them) or something else is going on. This isn't the first epidemic to cause ME/CFS patients and it certainly wont be the last.

An epidemic of any type produces a bunch of ME/CFS patients, simple EBV infections seem to. Its just that doctors and researchers have been ignoring them for decades.

John Mac, tmrw, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Very good article, I think. Thank you Brian Vastag.

Sean, RedFox, Mfairma and 12 others like this.