1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long COVID Was a Preventable Tragedy. Some of Us Saw It Coming, Brian Vastag

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by John Mac, Sep 15, 2022.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure where to post this but it is mainly about ME/CFS

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220915/long-covid-preventable-tragedy-some-saw-it-coming

ahimsa, RedFox, Mithriel and 24 others like this.
  2. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right at the beginning of the outbreak I had a look through the 3 ME/CFS papers from China around the SARS outbreak. They had about 50% of all sufferers with lasting symptoms and long term it was 10%, there was no one recovered years later, they called it what it was from the outset they didn't make up a new name for it they recognised it and diagnosed it like a competent healthcare system should. Then once the Irish nurses report came out (July 2020 I think) that 40% of them were suffering symptoms past the initial acute infection I figured it was a slightly milder SARs and figured it would show the same rough 20% of long term sufferers would end up with ME/CFS. Looks a little high based on the practical rate in the UK of ~3% but then some studies are finding it to be about 8% so its unclear if the ONS is missing them (the NHS certainly isn't diagnosing them) or something else is going on. This isn't the first epidemic to cause ME/CFS patients and it certainly wont be the last.

An epidemic of any type produces a bunch of ME/CFS patients, simple EBV infections seem to. Its just that doctors and researchers have been ignoring them for decades.

John Mac, tmrw, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Very good article, I think. Thank you Brian Vastag.

Sean, RedFox, Mfairma and 12 others like this.