Maeve Boothby O'Neill - articles about her life, death and inquest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by dave30th, Jan 27, 2023.

1. RainbowCloud

RainbowCloud Established Member

I’ve tried various searches on google and can’t find anything.

I imagine it wouldn’t be immediate but maybe there will be transcripts available from the inquest at some point?

Binkie4, Kitty, MrMagoo and 4 others like this.
  2. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The following quotes from the latest report in The Times seem to make it clear that doctors at the hospital didn’t think Maeve had a “medical problem” [my bold]:
    In light of this evidence it seems probable that Dr Warren did not believe that Maeve had a “medical problem” and that that was why he said that giving her a PEG would have “medicalised” her. My impression is that he didn’t intend to reveal that belief – perhaps because of legal advice – but it slipped out inadvertently.

[Edit: see SNT Gatchaman’s post directly below.]

Paywalled Times report: https://www.thetimes.com/uk/healthc...rrible-illness-that-divides-doctors-9mkzk7rxx

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024 at 12:26 PM
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So probably put on the spot and trying to back-track and cover.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Being economical with the truth is a well used tactic of the British Establishment

see Robert Armstrong UK Cabinet Secretary giving evidence in the spycatcher trial in 1986

tuppence, Lou B Lou, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Broadly, I wonder if a possible explanation might be the culture in which physicians are trained and work in? Where they are presented with the information that they need to do their jobs, so by implication they don't need to know more, and if they ever do, they will be given training courses about it.

Obviously we want a certain level of knowledge and competence in physicians, but possibly the system 'trains' them to not look further afield.

As to specifically ME/CFS physicians, a guess might be that they, consciously or not, would question why they would need to, given that the patients they see all have ME/CFS.

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sort of something like that, maybe, yes, @Andy, but:
    I was a physician. I worked in that culture. Talking to patients seemed an obvious thing to do. It seems weird not to. I am just intrigued by my colleagues behaviour.

But when you see a patient in clinic everything is focused on the immediate needs of that individual and coloured by hopes and fears and the dynamics of the interpersonal situation. For big questions about the experience of the illness and how people view treatment possibilities it seems obvious to take advantage of forums like this.

And anyone involved in ME/CFS is acutely aware of how desperately little we know and how much we need to pool thinking resources. And there isn't actually any training.

Starlight, Sean, FMMM1 and 9 others like this.
  7. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it worth getting chat gpt to do a combined summary of all of the quotes?

I gather not all inquests produce transcripts, and they are not shared with anyone and everyone.

Yann04, Kitty, MrMagoo and 2 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean the ones in the media articles or the ones on this thread?
    I think we need to be careful either way, as people are inevitably selectively quoting, quoting out of context and may accidentally misquote, and I think if you want to use material on this thread you'll need to get the poster's permission.

Starlight, Kitty, MrMagoo and 4 others like this.
  9. Trish

Starlight, Yann04, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  10. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yann04, Binkie4, Robert 1973 and 11 others like this.
  11. Trish

LJord, Lou B Lou, Starlight and 14 others like this.
  12. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems that worked -- see latest Times article / link posted immediately above.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024 at 10:44 AM
    Lou B Lou, Starlight, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  13. MSEsperanza

From the Times Article /July 26 2024 [link]

"Weir believed that intravenous nutrition was an option that could save her life. By September Boothby O’Neill was receptive but doctors balked. They worried it would be fatal because of risks including sepsis. It would keep her living, doctors said, but not alive: there would be little quality of life. She declined a fourth hospital admission, saying it was “too late” and would only prolong her agony, but that she would have accepted IV feeding had it been offered earlier. "

(bolding added)

It is not clear to me if Maeve still had accepted if offered to get IV feeding at home.

So does starting IV feeding / parenteral nutrition (PN) necessarily mean going to hospital?

I realize their were concerns about hygiene conditions but wondering if it made sense to ask PINNT, a support group for people living with artificial nutrition, to comment?

see:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024 at 11:05 AM
    Lou B Lou, Binkie4, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  14. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, parenteral nutrition is always initiated at the hospital because the patient must be monitored for infections, electrolyte imbalance and refeeding syndrome, all of which can be fatal. When a suitable feed formula (which is custom made / tailored to the patient’s needs as I understand it) is devised and that the patient is not showing signs of refeeding syndrome after a week or two, I believe that they can then continue parenteral nutrition at home, of course with close supervision.

Binkie4, Kitty, MrMagoo and 3 others like this.
  15. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed - and looks like there's a new article out which summarises the week well already

16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unforunately, no. I'm hoping next week they've figured out these tech issues.

Starlight, Binkie4, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  17. MSEsperanza

So the "if offered earlier" seems to be key?

Also wondering if in the UK getting a place at a Hospice was an option -- at an earlier stage for setting up tube feeding with the possibility to change to IV feeding when needed, or even at a later stage to supply with IV feeding -- just for the time needed to setup things and early monitoring?

Apologies for bad wording -- Would the equipment / staff at a Hospice be appropriate at least to initiate (1) tube feeding and (2) maybe even initiate PN?

I realize that the later just traveling to another place would have been too much at a certain stage, but still...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024 at 11:27 AM
    Lou B Lou, Binkie4, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think so, unless there are some that share a site and/or staff with a general hospital.

Hospices often receive some public funding via the NHS, but most are charities and rely on voluntary sources to cover a substantial part of their costs. They provide excellent nursing care, but most won't have the high-dependency or ICU facilities that might be needed if a patient developed sepsis.

19. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, thanks. Sorry, I overlooked that his “medicalised” comment was when he was reading from “what appeared to be minutes of a meeting” (according to Nightsong’s notes.)

There seems to be an inconsistency between records/recollections of what the hospital doctors were saying at the time and what they have said at the inquest about whether they believed ME is a “physical or psychological condition”. I’m not suggesting they have lied at the inquest but they appear to have tried to conceal what they believed. I would be surprised if the coroner hasn’t picked up on that.

Lou B Lou, Binkie4, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  20. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were several occasions on which witnesses were asked to read from contemporaneous notes, then tried to backtrack on the obvious implications of what they had written. The "manipulative" comment that Prague made in her notes, and her backtracking explanation of what she had meant by that when questioned about it was probably the most egregious example of this that I heard.

It seemed to me that the witnesses had been coached - for instance each of them describes their view of ME in unusually similar terms (usually something like "a complex condition of unknown aetiology"). You would have expected a much wider range of views to have been expressed otherwise.

Lou B Lou, Binkie4, EzzieD and 7 others like this.