Maeve Boothby O'Neill - articles about her life, death and inquest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by dave30th, Jan 27, 2023.

1. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like swearing. I also like an analogy, quote etc. These Drs are putting me in mind of the saying “Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned”

Wyva, Trish, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The big book about the AIDS epidemic by my former SF Chronicle colleague, the late Randy Shilts, was called "And the Band Played On." Same idea.

Wyva, Trish, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  3. MrMagoo

Yes, as the Titanic sank.

Trish, Kitty, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  4. MrMagoo

Although it’s not entirely true that “nobody had an f-ing clue what to do about it” (a phrase the twitterverse is loving!) in fact both Drs Shenton and Weir knew what to do, but nobody could hear them because they had their fingers in their ears, and were singing “I don’t know anything about ME so I’ll just do what I feel is best”

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024 at 7:00 PM
    Wyva and Kitty like this.
  5. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Guardian:
    Maeve Boothby-O’Neill’s harrowing case highlights clashing NHS narratives on ME

by Alastair Miller

"Given this, it was perhaps sadly inevitable that some people would question whether ME/CFS was a “real disease” or was “all in the mind”. Indeed, the original description of ME at the Royal Free hospital in 1955 was attributed to mass hysteria. Some years later, it was disparagingly known as “yuppie flu”. Sadly, it is this conflict between those who think that ME/CFS is a purely psychological condition, with no biomedical basis, and those who believe it is a purely physical condition, with no psychological implications, that has dominated the narrative around this illness.

In mainstream ME/CFS clinics where I’ve worked in the NHS, the conversation is completely different. I know of no colleagues who hold the view that ME/CFS is “all in the mind”. It is just that we currently cannot yet identify a mechanism. Not surprisingly the highly unpleasant and debilitating symptoms are often exacerbated by associated depression and anxiety, and therefore many patients benefit from appropriate psychological interventions such as cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT).

It is also clear to doctors in the field that the individuals who recover best from ME/CFS are those who steer a “middle road” between excess physical activity and excess rest. Patients can’t exercise their way out of the illness but neither will total inactivity deliver recovery. The fact that we use CBT and other behavioural approaches in no way implies that we do not believe this is a physical condition. After all, we use CBT and rehabilitation to relieve symptoms in cancer, in rheumatoid arthritis and following heart attacks. Nobody has ever suggested that those conditions are “all in the mind”.

Ehh...

Robert 1973, Trish, MrMagoo and 3 others like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Evidence, please?

Evidence, please?

Oh, that's your evidence. Maybe you'd like to do a little reading before assuming an appeal to common sense will work.

:banghead:

Robert 1973, Trish, MrMagoo and 3 others like this.
  7. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Repeating that same argument over and over again doesn't make it more reasonable.

1. It doesn't change the evidence on CBT / behavioral interventions for ME/CFS (i.e. they don't work).

[*] BBC Radio 4 Today, 18.082021 (listen again online from 07.53); transript by @Lucibee posted here

8. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I was a betting man I would bet good money that this is based on a counterspin briefing from the "SMC".

It sounds just like Wessely arguing he is the victim of harassment, when debunked for selling snake oil. The SMC has been busy lately too, lobbying for fossil fuel I noticed.

A woman died of ME and mistreatment, not the first by any stretch, because medical attitudes towards ME dont engage with reality. That is why we are having an inquest, to find out what is wrong and what needs to change.

The SMC and people like them would rather blame patients for dying than face their responsibilities. They don't help the open minded inquiry of an inquest but they are exemplars of the kind of ignorance and prejudice which cause the mistreatment of ME patients by doctors.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And what, pray, does that quarter truth have to do with someone starving to death?
    Having said that there is too much clashing of narrative why keep doing the same thing?

MSEsperanza, Robert 1973 and MrMagoo like this.
  10. MrMagoo

Let’s all play nicely together!
    Now, little Johnny, you promise not to punch little Timmy in the face again? And Timmy, now Johnny has apologised, you promise to be his friend?”

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That article by Alastair Miller is inaccurate, deeply inappropriate in these circumstances and insulting to pwME. He should be ashamed of himself.

There is NO evidence to support this.

Robert 1973, MSEsperanza and MrMagoo like this.
  12. MrMagoo

Comments are open on that Guardian article.

Trish likes this.
  13. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, as he said: just biased reasoning from his and his friends' "clinical experience"

Robert 1973 and Trish like this.