1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

May 2019 - Awareness Week including Millions Missing

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Sly Saint, Feb 13, 2019.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That doesn't seem right. About 90% of ME funding was wasted on psychosocial fluff, so it doesn't count since they are studying psychogenic idiopathic chronic fatigue. The scale is way worse than that.

2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree it’s not helpful to use that time frame and include possibly PACE, FINE, GETSET and Magenta even research. £4/ patient per year if 200 000 patients figure are used is £800 000 a year for 9 years ... i wish are the words I’d use for that figure when it comes to biomedical research.

rvallee likes this.
  3. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Joh

This is amazing! I shared with the other volunteers and everyone though this is funny. Thanks for educating the German public, please consider team Gent from now on an honorary member of #MillionsMissing Germany. :)

MSEsperanza, Gecko, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

one of my favourite pics
    upload_2019-5-15_17-49-3.jpeg

where is everybody? surfing? or in the pub having a pastie?

NelliePledge, Gecko, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

An article in Unilad, of all places
    https://www.unilad.co.uk/featured/c...ing-truth-of-condition-its-not-just-laziness/

Facebook
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/posts/6213992505290423

petrichor, Gecko, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.meaction.net/2019/05/14/we-did-it-this-is-what-the-millionsmissing-look-like/

petrichor, Sasha, Gecko and 7 others like this.
  8. rvallee

That was a fair article. Although it shows we are still firmly on square zero. Could have been written nearly as is 30 years ago, just changing a few names and contemporaneous bits here and there.

But this article contained more actual journalism than the entire "our victims are criticizing us, woe is us" SMC media blitz, so kudos on out-scicomming the "Science" Media Center.

Gecko, MEMarge, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/SheffieldMEandFibromyalgiaGroup/videos/335496877112807/

Hutan, Comet, meg22 and 13 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/millionsmissingsouthampton/videos/537427903331298/

Comet, meg22, chicaguapa and 6 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a really superb and impressive video from Sheffield.

Gecko, Amw66, Comet and 8 others like this.
  13. Joh

@Andy has kindly already posted about this action. The fan club of Berlin football team Hertha BSC has shown its support for pwME in the Olympiastadion Berlin. I'm posting about it again, as they've now published an article in English and asked me to share.

The English statement can be found here (below the German version): http://www.gruppa-sued.de/wordpress/?p=2282

Edit: Please also consider leaving a comment (no log-in or mail/name necessary and your native language is fine), they'd love to hear from pwME worldwide. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    petrichor, Hutan, Comet and 13 others like this.
  14. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Were any U.K. “protests” visibly demanding research funds from our state funders? I’ve watched a few videos where the “general picture” or life stories etc are the focus to raise awareness, I’m just surprised that protests aren’t more part of this than raising awareness.

Moderator note: This post in full and the subsequent discussion have been moved to a new thread:
    UK: Should ME awareness week and advocacy focus more on the need for research funding?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2019
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Louise Haigh, MP for Sheffield Heeley
    https://www.louisehaigh.org.uk/news/2019/05/21/supporting-people-with-me/

ahimsa, MEMarge, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  16. rvallee

This is great.

Is there a way to reach her, preferably a constituent or a reliable expert, to correct the £4 per patient on research? The real number is a few pennies, and I think it's been zero for a while, when you exclude the funding wasted on psychosocial fluff. It doesn't count, it just doesn't. It has nothing to do with medicine at all and doesn't qualify as serious research under any stretch of the definition.

Because it only further highlights the gravity of the failure, that even a number that is obviously insultingly low is actually about 10x lower when you remove the useless junk it was wasted on. And those numbers can't even be confirmed because there never is a straight answer.

I think that the NIH funding of the LSTM is the only actual research funding in the UK in recent years and it's particularly insulting that it had to come from a foreign institution.

MEMarge likes this.
  17. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Summary in English of a MillionsMissing event in Stavanger, Norway.
    Two great talks were given by patient Kristine Ruud Berdal and professor in medicine Ola Didrik Saugstad.

Included are also video greetings from Prime Minister Erna Solberg, Jennifer Brea, Olav Mella/Øystein Fluge and Ron Davis.

JaneL, Sly Saint, andypants and 7 others like this.
  18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MillionsMissingStavanger did a fundraising for Fluge/Mella and their team as part of the event 12th of May.
    Today 157 317 NOK (18 497 USD, 14 534 GBP, 16 242 EUR) got transferred to the researchers.

Barry, MarcNotMark, obeat and 9 others like this.