1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME/CFS services in the United Kingdom

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Hutan, Nov 2, 2017.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Unless it is someone who is prepared to be an agent of change doing a bit of challenging the status quo from the inside.

Hutan, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that might be a bit like trying to abolish beer from inside a pub.

Ariel, Hutan, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

Fair point

Hutan, FMMM1, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  4. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    alktipping, Hutan, Sly Saint and 10 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

It depends on the group leaders. The pace lite message is subtle. I only fully understand some time afterwards that despite being aware of issues with GET I thought I was avoiding any pressure nevertheless I had increased activity rather than adopting exercise. Two aspects. One I had done some sorting cupboards in my house that needed doing but could have been started at another time. Second I had added the three hour group session onto my 15 working hours a week. After the first week I had to reduce work hours to accommodate the group session,

There was no benefit gained from the course that couldn’t have come from having a coffee once a month with a support group.

eta when I say some time later it was several months

eta2. It was like there was an assumption you should be doing more and a range of things. I was already working part time and doing all my own shopping cleaning etc......

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    alktipping, Hutan, Sly Saint and 12 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Replace a few words with stuff like Reiki or healing crystals or cosmic energy and this reads exactly like an advert for an alternative medicine cult.

This is not normal. Never let people tell you this is normal. This mind-body woo is absolutely not normal in a field of science. It's like a regression to before the 20th century, except somehow worse.

Ariel, alktipping, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  7. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll raise it, thanks for the tag, but honestly doubt it. Reports of positive experiences with GPs in Sheffield are few and far between.
    And tbh I think it's a weird role. I hear the lead therapist may be retiring some time too, which could lead to quite the change in the service. Let's hope the new NICE guidelines can do better at defining what a good service would look like.

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Sly Saint

another one based on the same report

Better relationships are key to improving ME patients’ experience of visiting their GP
    Researchers analysed results data from a survey of people with the condition
    full article here
    https://www.mmu.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/story/12677/

10. Sly Saint

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2020
    MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Speciality doctor - when you read further the role is for an assistant psychologist.

If you're an Assistant Psychologist why not refer to the role as such?

Is it because doctor sounds more sciency?

MEMarge, NelliePledge and Sly Saint like this.
  12. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think something is wrong with the advert.

Assistant psychologists in the UK are usually people with an undergraduate psychology degree who work to gain practical clinical experience under supervision, and hope eventually to be accepted onto a doctoral post-grad programme (very competitive entry) to become a Clinical Psychologist.

I think most qualified Clinical Psychologists in healthcare would have a doctoral psychology degree, but I would have expected their registration bodies would be the British Psychological Society and the Health Professions Council. They would not be registered with the GMC.

13. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's all good and well to be validated . . . but then what. You're still ill and the BPS therapy people do not have anything to offer in terms of recovery if this is all that is happening at clinics. As time goes by the newly ill will discover that it may not be enough to have gotten a 'feel good' moment out of the therapy but for now this is enough and standing up for the clinic as having provided a service they find useful will eventual (I am presuming here) pale somewhat as they realise that having a treatment option would be preferable.

But, and this is important. Even as these clinics adjust to the reality that they don't offer recovery their official stance is still that of a psychologically driven response to initial illness and there is not now nor ever will be a 'biological' treatment so there is no need to look for one. Newby's are likely not aware of the decades of private lobbying to ensure that the BPS clinics are the primary and / or only treatment modality that is relevant to this illness.

Newly diagnosed may be fine with this now but what about if they are still ill a decade from now. From that vantage point how complementary would they be toward the help they received at these clinics?

14. Sly Saint

this appears to only be one of the jobs on offer

https://findajob.dwp.gov.uk/details/4537042

Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Merged thread

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Encephalopathy (ME)-UCL

ie lie to patient

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/clinical-psychology/competency-maps/physical-health-conditions-competences/specific interventions/CBT for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome web.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
    Hutan, DigitalDrifter, chrisb and 6 others like this.
  16. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excuse me while I go and throw up ... :(

EzzieD and Arnie Pye like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. Do you know when this is from? How did you just come across it?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. Is this current or is this something from 10 years ago?

Hutan, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Think we have seen this before as part of the UCL paediatric service although this may be from the adult service at the Royal Free?

The current UCL paediatric ME/CFS page indicates a standard BPS approach with GET and psychology. It also talks of 'pacing yourself better' which is clearly a misuse of the term.

I don't see any real likelihood of this group's approach changing unless the NICE guidelines change.

20. Sly Saint