Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. large donner

large donner Guest

Surely its just the same as badly trained faith healers and ones who know what they are doing, you know, like the ones who cure cancer.

Hutan, TiredSam, JemPD and 10 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed but thats the ticket

alktipping and Simone like this.
  3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I honestly would just nail him on that. Such and such have given me GET and I got worse, are they to blame or is the therapy itself to blame?

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This goes back to the point by Wessely et al in the 1989 paper when they said something to the effect that people have said that exercise may cause harm in some, that may be true but......

I have suggested elsewhere that that should have placed upon them a duty to ensure some safeguarding procedure was in place.

Simone, alktipping, Cheshire and 7 others like this.
  5. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Sly Saint, Cheshire and 10 others like this.
  6. Alvin

alktipping, Trish and NelliePledge like this.
  7. large donner

large donner Guest

Bull!!

It could have been so different already, not the same, if they had admitted the trial showed zero efficacy.

8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Trolling. And given his track record he's in no position to define what is logical and what isn't.

If the trial had never happened the denial of treatment & support would not have been the same. The precise purpose of the trial was to make it easier to enable such policies. Otherwise, why else give it to a bunch of brown-nosing clowns so willing to ignore and abuse logic and science to get the result wanted?

And when I say "get the results wanted", don't take it from me, but from our naughty nautical friend of the crew:

https://www.nationalelfservice.net/...syndrome-choppy-seas-but-a-prosperous-voyage/

And if that wasn't enough freudian slips from one who should know better, there's one more in the title of the piece (hint - it's the adjective in front of the word "voyage").

MEMarge, Simone, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If PACE is of no consequence, then how can he justify wasting so much money and time and advocacy and legal defence on it?

If it is of no consequence, then releasing all the (anonymised) data cannot possibly hurt his reputation.

If it is of no consequence, then he and his co-principal investigators on PACE should be facing fraud charges for the funds they falsely claimed were being spent on productive, indeed important, research.

Of no consequence. What a bunch of crap. :grumpy:

Seriously, Sharpe, is that the best you can come up with? :thumbsdown:

MEMarge, Simone, Hutan and 15 others like this.
  10. Alvin

Yes, he is keeping you off balance with bullshit

11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh great. SW's joining in now...

swessely_9jun2018.png

Surely that's just it? It hasn't changed clinical practice in the UK. It hasn't stopped #pwme being treated poorly by their GPs and other medical practitioners. It hasn't stopped people treating it as if it were psychological or "all in the mind", despite what Sharpe may say it says in the Lancet paper. It certainly hasn't led to more biomedical funding.

MEMarge, Simone, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the issue is that it didn't change clinical practice. NICE took the PACE authors' positive interpretation of the trial results at face value and chose not to review the NICE guidelines that recommended CBT and GET. A proper, rational reading of the PACE results would have led to CBT and GET being ditched.

So no, PACE didnt change clinical practice when it should have - it should have led to CBT and GET being stopped.

Wessely monumentally misses the point.

MEMarge, Simone, sea and 21 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

....and he does so deliberately.

MEMarge, alktipping, Lidia and 10 others like this.
  14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I certainly think that PACE led to more confident assertions to patients about the efficacy of CBT and GET, and their ability to get CFS sufferers 'back to normal'. Also, I think that the suffering and hardship inflicted upon patients who had the temerity to point out the problems with PACE, and then faced a barrage of dismissive prejudice, should be seen as pretty horrifying.

MEMarge, Simone, inox and 20 others like this.
  15. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What were the 'horrendous consequences' of the trial asks Sir Simon? Well, off the top of my head:

- acres of misleading media coverage of the trial (helpfully co-ordinated by his good friends at the Science Media Centre) that unfairly painted patients as lazy wasters who just needed to pull themselves together and go for a jog,
    - the ridiculous - and far more importantly, completely inaccurate - improvement and recovery figures that were subsequently promoted to medical professionals all over the world as a reason to prescribe CBT and GET,
    - NICE's use of the trial as part of their justification for not reviewing the ME/CFS guideline in 2011 (seven years later patients are consequently still waiting for this to happen),
    - the development of the 'dangerous activist ME/CFS patient' narrative which the PACE team cooked up when they realised that they didn't have any good answers to the criticisms that patients were making of their shoddy methodology and failure to grasp the basics of good trial design.

Feel free to throw any of this back at him @Lucibee.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    MEMarge, Simone, sea and 27 others like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It also have led to a reinforcement of bureaucratic and insurance practice ... denial of benefits until CBT/GET was used. PACE was part of the whole fiasco, which is in part why DWP funded it. That has spread to other countries, including Australia. It also changed medical culture, reinforcing the previous position. PACE slowed and railroaded change and rational medicine.

So PACE was not solely responsible, but that does not mean it had no impact.

If PACE had no impact surely they would not object to retracting it? [Satirical]

MEMarge, Simone, mango and 20 others like this.
  17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PACE led to a reinforcement of the bad way things were being done. Accurate reporting of the findings would have resulted in change, some of which we are seeing now (despite still being held back by the effects of PACE).

alktipping, EzzieD, Sean and 7 others like this.
  18. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

19. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Made the pursuit of biomedical research more difficult

Facilitated adoption of dubious methodology for other psych studies

Where children are concerned , the combination has enabled families to be split up and iat

MEMarge, sea, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Iatrogenic damage to be done
    Comorbid treatable conditions to be disregarded
    Other illnesses to be written off without investigation

MEMarge, sea, Hutan and 11 others like this.