Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't say I'm surprised. A chum of Wessely asks what it's about, gets lots of response, Wessely has a quiet word in his ear, he backs off. End of story.
    @Mike Godwin, I may have misunderstood. I hope I have. I frequently misunderstand tweets - you could say Twitter was designed for misunderstanding. Do join us if you want to discuss further.

Edit - looks like I was wrong - I apologise to @Mike Godwin. I really don't like Twitter for discussing anything substantial. Misunderstandings abound.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Barry, Simone, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  2. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think he's backed off, just a bit taken aback at the vehemence of the response from some.

SallyC, inox, Barry and 15 others like this.
  3. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would recommend to read the whole Twitter thread and completely agree with @Lucibee. This is so sad.

(ETA: Twitter)

inox, Barry, Simone and 6 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You may be right, @Lucibee. As I said, I often misunderstand tweets :)

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trying to exemplify humility ain't quite the same as being humble (especially if you lecture people on human nature along the way). Us professors and lawyers need to listen a bit more sometimes. These ordinary patient people know rather more what they are talking about than might appear from a cursory glance.

MEMarge, Inara, Barry and 9 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I'm unable to read the full exchange which led to this, so am not sure of the context or what it means exactly.

And when that presumption has been thoroughly rebutted and years have passed, do we still have to accept lessons in humility?

Inara, Luther Blissett, Barry and 6 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

I've just realised that if I click on the little bird I am able to read the whole exchange :).

8. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s sad to see.

Simone, alktipping and petrichor like this.
  9. TiredSam

It's twitter.

10. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Lucibee

I think what's happened here is that Claudia has mistook a reply to someone else as a reply to her. [edit: in some formats, Twitter "helpfully" misses out the convo between your first tweet and the latest one]. But I daren't say anything, because last time I did that I got beaten to a pulp by Angela!

[update: I've gone in...]

Simone, Woolie, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  12. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still sad to see.

Simone, petrichor and Joh like this.
  13. TiredSam

Well it sounds like they are all still engaging with each other, so maybe things aren't as bad as they appeared during that heated full and frank exchange.

Simone, alktipping, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  14. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Being bombarded with @ replies on something you know very little about is at best a bit perplexing on twitter and at worst very irritating. This may have been what has happened here. No grand conspiracy, just someone who got drawn into a debate that they knew very little about and bombarded with responses.

Simone, Woolie, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  15. Lucibee

Case in point, *this* just happened. Here's my tweet:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1007337609918640128

Here's how it displays in my feed:

twitter_convotruncating_1.png

Twitter has been optimised for conflict.

Inara, SallyC, inox and 16 others like this.
  16. Indigophoton

17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like the expression banality of evil.

https://aeon.co/ideas/what-did-hannah-arendt-really-mean-by-the-banality-of-evil

I still subscribe to the theory that the BPSers know exactly what they are doing and simply have no empathy or consider patients unworthy of anything but exploitation and mistreatment (in line with cruel austerity policies inflicted on the sick by the current UK government).

Maybe this banality of evil theory is a better fit though.

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like a couple of people misunderstood Godwin's tweets and were making unfair criticisms of what he'd said. Would be useful if people could avoid doing that, or apologised promptly when mistakes were made. [edit: especially as twitter does that truncating thing, and misses out tweets, it's important to check carefully for context before jumping in with criticisms].

I think twitter is terrible for discussing topics like PACE anyway. Only seen a couple of people use it to really change other people's views, and they seemed to do so by being very gentle and cautious.

MSEsperanza, inox, Skycloud and 13 others like this.
  19. Indigophoton

Except psychologists and psychiatrists should presumably be quite good at putting themselves in the other person's shoes, and at empathy. Where are they without theory of mind, after all?

Inara, Luther Blissett, Barry and 4 others like this.
  20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The other day Sharpe also tweeted something which suggested he is concerned with making sure that patients don't offload all responsibilities for getting better on the treating doctor. Which reveals a moralistic view of us patients.

So CBT/GET to him may be valuable because it separates patients into those deserving of help (those who push themselves) and those undeserving (those who give up). Whether it improves the patient's health would be irrelevant.

This is very much in line with the message that Wessely et al have been sending since the early days, namely that patients should be expected to undertake a course of CBT/GET before being given disability support.

Is CBT/GET born out of the prejudice of the common man and woman on the street that patients are lazy more than they are sick?

Or is this moralistic stance merely an excuse to make it harder for patients to obtain disability support? This is very plausible too. Those who are stereotyped as lazy and irrational are less protected from discrimination, and a clever and ruthless insurance company could promote this narrative through psychiatrists. Wessely et al do seem very concerned with influencing public health policy on ME/CFS.