Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

".. interventions were built upon a behavioural/deconditioning model of CFS."

I agree that "model" is probably a misnomer, and as @Robert 1973 points out, a lot of the slipperiness is around the imprecise use of language. But I would think just "model" or "framework" as a shorthand term in informal public discourse is nonetheless preferable to "theory" or "theoretical framework". Inclusion of a modifier clarifying substance and precisely synonymous with "hypothetical" would be preferable, but I'm afraid I'm unable to offer a decent candidate.

2. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As Adrian said
    Perhaps he's currently sitting in a life boat hanging from the side of the ship with a supply of beer/wine/tea/coffee just for himself. (but it's bring your own lifeboat, as MS is finding out)

MEMarge, alktipping, JaimeS and 15 others like this.
  3. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One needs to distinguish between a clinical trial and treatment in clinical practice. I might be willing to subject myself to a treatment which I believe is ineffective and potentially harmful in a clinical trial if I felt it would help to advance the understanding of my condition. But I would not choose to try such a treatment in other circumstances.

In order for someone with a phobia to seek psychological treatment they presumably must first acknowledge that their fear is (or at least could be) irrational. Is there any evidence of people with phobias who refuse to accept the irrationality of their fear (even if they are unable to overcome it)? If someone were unable to acknowledge the irrationality of their phobia, might another diagnosis be appropriate?

4. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very badly!

MEMarge, alktipping, Barry and 3 others like this.
  5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that's a refreshingly straightforward answer.

MEMarge, alktipping, JaimeS and 10 others like this.
  7. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Lucibee

How long before he torpedoes the ship?

MEMarge, alktipping, JaimeS and 15 others like this.
  9. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think we are in fear of exercise, it's not the right word to use.

Fear involves a physiological response to a threat. With ME we avoid overexerting ourselves for rational reasons as Trish said, because we know it will have a deleterious affect, there is no physiological experience involved.

It is the BPS brigade who push the notion of fear avoidance, but we're not in fear, and I don't think we should use the F word, it is playing into their agenda of fear avoidance, it is rational avoidance with no physiological correlate.

"The unpleasant emotional state consisting of psychological and psychophysiological responses to a real external threat or danger. ... Fear is a nursing diagnosis accepted by the North American Nursing Diagnosis Association, who defined it as a response to a perceived threat that is consciously recognized as a danger."
    Fear | definition of fear by Medical dictionary
    https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/fear

Abstract
    Anxiety is a psychological, physiological, and behavioral state induced in animals and humans by a threat to well-being or survival, either actual or potential. It is characterized by increased arousal, expectancy, autonomic and neuroendocrine activation, and specific behavior patterns. The function of these changes is to facilitate coping with an adverse or unexpected situation.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181681/

10. Indigophoton

11. large donner

large donner Guest

Say what!!!!! :jawdrop:

MEMarge, JaimeS, Woolie and 15 others like this.
  12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But no explanation for his claim about the need for 'additional occupational support' here:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1005748795261554689

Also, there's been a failure to update this document since PACE showed CBT and GET failed to improve employment levels, so there's still a promotion of the notion that CBT/GET do aid return to work: "Occupational Aspects of the Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: a National Guideline"?

https://www.nhshealthatwork.co.uk/images/library/files/Clinical excellence/CFS_full_guideline.pdf

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    MEMarge, alktipping, JaimeS and 14 others like this.
  13. Lucibee

14. large donner

large donner Guest

15. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He is confusing PIP (a UK benefit to help cope with disability when one needs lots of care and has mobility problems - and which can be an in-work benefit) with ESA (which is an out of work due to ill health benefit... meant to replace some of the lost income, it is pitifully little). If someone doesn't understand basics of the UK benefits system, how can they make pronouncements on their research relating to it?

MEMarge, alktipping, Inara and 13 others like this.
  16. Lucibee

This from the Contributors section of White et al 2011:
    "The centre leaders were BA, TC, Eleanor Feldman, GM, MM, HO, Tim Peto, MS, PDW, DW, and Simon Wessely."

He is also listed as one of the SMC doctors.

He clearly has a very poor memory.

MEMarge, sea, alktipping and 25 others like this.
  17. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My reading is that he being subtly and elegantly diplomatic here. The man has some serious class.

alktipping, JaimeS, Sean and 12 others like this.
  18. Indigophoton

19. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL.

MEMarge, alktipping, JaimeS and 23 others like this.