1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Neurovascular injury with complement activation and inflammation in COVID-19, 2022, Lee ... Nath et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jul 6, 2022.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neurovascular injury with complement activation and inflammation in COVID-19
    Myoung-Hwa Lee, Daniel P. Perl, Joseph Steiner, Nicholas Pasternack, Wenxue Li, Dragan Maric, Farinaz Safavi, Iren Horkayne-Szakaly, Robert Jones, Michelle N. Stram, Joel T. Moncur, Marco Hefti, Rebecca D. Folkerth, Avindra Nath

The underlying mechanisms by which severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) leads to acute and long-term neurological manifestations remains obscure. We aimed to characterize the neuropathological changes in patients with coronavirus disease 2019 and determine the underlying pathophysiological mechanisms.

In this autopsy study of the brain, we characterized the vascular pathology, the neuroinflammatory changes and cellular and humoral immune responses by immunohistochemistry.

All patients died during the first wave of the pandemic from March to July 2020. All patients were adults who died after a short duration of the infection, some had died suddenly with minimal respiratory involvement. Infection with SARS-CoV-2 was confirmed on ante-mortem or post-mortem testing. Descriptive analysis of the pathological changes and quantitative analyses of the infiltrates and vascular changes were performed.

All patients had multifocal vascular damage as determined by leakage of serum proteins into the brain parenchyma. This was accompanied by widespread endothelial cell activation. Platelet aggregates and microthrombi were found adherent to the endothelial cells along vascular lumina. Immune complexes with activation of the classical complement pathway were found on the endothelial cells and platelets. Perivascular infiltrates consisted of predominantly macrophages and some CD8+ T cells. Only rare CD4+ T cells and CD20+ B cells were present. Astrogliosis was also prominent in the perivascular regions. Microglial nodules were predominant in the hindbrain, which were associated with focal neuronal loss and neuronophagia.

Antibody-mediated cytotoxicity directed against the endothelial cells is the most likely initiating event that leads to vascular leakage, platelet aggregation, neuroinflammation and neuronal injury. Therapeutic modalities directed against immune complexes should be considered.

Link to DOI | PDF

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  2. SNT Gatchaman

9 patients (7 males, 2 females, 24–73 years) died during the first wave. Co-morbidities included diabetes, hypertension and substance use disorder. 5 patients had died suddenly, 4 at home. The remaining patients died within days to weeks after onset of symptoms.

The control group consisted of 9 males and 1 female, 43–74 years. They were diagnosed with pulmonary infections, systemic infections, hypertension, bipolar disorder and substance use disorder. Doesn't look like diabetes in control group.

3. SNT Gatchaman

Some quotes (slightly edited) —

4. SNT Gatchaman

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting this @SNTGatchaman

I acknowledge the important gift the people who were the subject of this study and their families made to science. I think we need more brain autopsy studies like this, especially of people with Long Covid and ME/CFS, (and of women with these conditions - there were only 2 in this study). I hope patient charities will work towards making this possible.

For those like me who missed it on the first pass, this is a NIH/NINDS study, with the senior author being Nath. It gives us more of an idea of what Nath is thinking about Long Covid, and reinforces his recent comments about the need to investigate

6. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, naively, if they think something (antibodies or antibodies + spike) is binding to ACE-2 on endothelial cells, that seems like something you could test in vitro with acute Covid or Long Covid patient plasma.

7. Hutan

There's acknowledgement of the similarities of long-covid and ME/CFS.

So, these patients were selected specifically because they showed micro-vascular abnormalities - which amplifies the concern that @SNT Gatchaman expressed (that the co-morbidities of these people might explain some or all of the brain pathology).

Fibrinogen definitely shouldn't be getting into the brain - if it is, the Blood Brain Barrier is compromised. It was getting in, in all of the cases; the controls had virtually none.

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.46.36 pm.png Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 1.46.51 pm.png

It looks as though fibrinogen in the brain is a bit like a bull in a china shop:
    Fibrinogen in neurological diseases: mechanisms, imaging and therapeutics 2018
    It's not just fibrinogen that was found to be leaking in -

8. Hutan

I'm jumping the gun here, because we don't yet know if this fibrinogen leakage is happening in Long Covid (or ME/CFS generally). But if fibrinogen is found in the brains of people with Long Covid, then this comment from the 2018 paper I quoted above is interesting:
    Perhaps any sort of fibrinogen can breach the BBB given the right circumstances. But perhaps some versions of fibrinogen can get into the brain easier than others. Maybe this fibrinogen leakage issue is something for the DecodeME team to watch @Andy, @Simon M.

9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Adhesion molecules are cell surface proteins that mediate the interaction between cells, or between cells and the extracellular matrix (ECM). There are four families of adhesion molecules: immunoglobulin-like adhesion molecules, integrins, cadherins and selectins.

ME/CFS was associated with increased expression of cadherins in a proteomics study by Hanson. Would cadherins fit with the process that the paper is suggestng is occurring?

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Watch in what way? The idea behind a GWAS is that it is hypothesis free and reports on what has been found by the analysis, rather than going searching for results in an attempt to support a particular idea.

alktipping, Binkie4, Laurie P and 2 others like this.
  11. Hutan

At one point Simon was asking for ideas about particular questions that the DecodeME data might be applied to. With so much variation around the composition of fibrinogen, it just seemed like an interesting question to look at, if it turns out that fibrinogen breaching the blood brain barrier is characteristic of Long Covid/ME/CFS. The interaction of genes is complex e.g.
    so, maybe it's useful to have some ideas of things to dig into, as well as seeing what obvious things pop out? I don't know, clearly I'm not an expert, feel free to ignore the suggestion.

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Unless I've forgotten something I think Simon was asking for particular questions to put into the optional additional DecodeME questionnaire that will be offered to participants to complete.

13. Hutan

Yes, my bad.

alktipping, livinglighter and Andy like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

The review paper @Hutan referenced above probably warrants its own thread. There's a lot in it — fibrinogen has unusual characteristics that are important. The relationship between fibrinogen and the innate immune system and neuroinflammation looks potentially very relevant. (There is also reference to rheumatoid arthritis and other peripheral inflammatory diseases.)

This thread's paper is discussing evidence for antibody-mediated BBB disruption. In part, the 2018 review article discusses the (substantial) links between fibrinogen and amyloid-β. I would also wonder whether the process could involve amyloid-form fibrinogen directly. Perhaps it might be more inflammogenic and could promote an endotheliitis, thereby disrupting the blood brain-barrier, which then allows (amyloid-) fibrinogen etc into the perivascular parenchyma. Normal fibrinogen promotes Aβ but could amyloid form fibrinogen accelerate this?

15. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Cadherins are found in the blood brain barrier and likely play a role in its integrity, they may also modulate other proteins found in the tight junctions complexes that hold cells together such as claudins:

alktipping and livinglighter like this.
  16. Midnattsol

Not that I think it would have mattered much, but I would have wanted to know the patient's vitamin D status. There are multiple compounds that influence tight junction complexes and thus barrier integrity, in cell culture studies vitamin D has shown protective effects against many of these by stopping the signal cascade that cause the tight junctions to fall apart.

livinglighter likes this.
  17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hanson et al did not report which type of cadherin was elevated in ME/CFS, if any. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7931008/

If one type of cadherin stood out from the others, it would hint which type of tissue was involved. VE-cadherin would suggest a vascular problem and whatever other tissues also happen to express the VE type. N-cadherin would suggest a brain problem. There are many types of cadherins. This approach might be a way to find out where in the body things are going wrong.

alktipping and livinglighter like this.
  18. Midnattsol

The problem with these is that their localisation, not just the amount of them, can influence the integrity of the barrier are part of. So we might have the same amount as healthy controls but if the localisation is changed by something the barrier might still be impaired.

19. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember this from when they started because of how atypical the cohort was, and therefore a stretch to connect it to me/cfs. This is@Forbin 's quoting Nath during an NIH call.