News from Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Hutan, May 19, 2018.

1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Otago Daily Times: Marathon run to raise money for research

(TW: article hints at suicide)
    Her Givealittle page has raised NZ$2155 at the time of writing. Here's hoping Dr Elder gets a taste for marathons and does a @Mike Harley and just keeps on running

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/marathon-run-raise-money-research
    https://givealittle.co.nz/fundraiser/running-for-me

ukxmrv, rvallee, Ash and 5 others like this.
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Always makes me happy to see healthy people doing stuff to help us. I don't always comment on @Mike Harley and I can't find his thread at current but I love what he, Megan Elder and so many others do for us.

mango, ukxmrv, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  3. Mike Harley

Mike Harley Senior Member (Voting Rights)

mango, rvallee, Ash and 8 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Quackery against ME/CFS in New Zealand
    Blog by Nina E. Steinkopf

Quote:
    The following is offered as information to anyone who is considering recommending or attending Mel Abbotts “Empower Therapies» as treatment for ME/CFS.

Mel Abbott is a certified Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and Lightning Process (LP) practitioner. Both NLP and LP are pseudoscientific and considered quackery. Claims of recovery from illnesses due to LP (or versions of it) are undocumented. Before you decide to recommend or attend a course, you should be aware that:

1. LP-courses are not held by certified health care professionals.
    2. ...
    Continues at link.

ukxmrv, Ravn, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solstice and Ravn like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The people at ANZMES mean well but the organisation has problems. That last video demonstrates some of them.

It's old news, but what was Auckland ME is now ME Support and they clearly have big ambitions, including extending their influence beyond Auckland. They come across as professional.

What I didn't know is that membership is free. https://www.mesupport.org.nz/

ukxmrv, Solstice, Ash and 4 others like this.
  7. Ravn

Press Release – ANZMES Awards Academics 25K Grants to Boost ME Research
    For more, see "New Zealand: ANZMES"

Dolphin, Solstice, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hutan

9. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

HRC grant: Evidence-based management of Long COVID
    NZD 1.4m over 36 months.

This was awarded in Dec 2022, but announcement was deferred to Feb 2023. I don't think it has been noted on S4ME.

Lay summary
    Long COVID (LC) is increasingly recognised as a public health concern, with the magnitude of the problem in Aotearoa New Zealand likely to grow considerably due to the current SARS-CoV-2 Omicron outbreak. We propose a multi-disciplinary study that integrates the disciplines of immunology, kaupapa Māori evaluation, co-design methodology, epidemiology and health services research with the clinical interface. By the end of the project, we will have developed i) a set of bio-markers of immune dysfunction, to contribute to the accurate diagnosis of LC; ii) a template for evidence-based, primary care services, co-designed with people with LC and iii) recommendations for the improvement of existing and development of future LC clinics to further meet the needs of patients. The work will be supported by our extensive network of LC Stakeholders, including people with lived experience of LC, Māori health experts, health professionals, health service researchers and co-design experts.

10. Hutan

The project has ambitious aims: biomarkers of immune dysfunction and recommendations for primary care services, developed by listening to what people with Long covid say. But, it looks to have a good team. Here's a few notes on the researchers involved in this study, as I think it's useful for those of us in NZ to be aware of them:

Associate Professor Mona Jeffreys
    Mona has done some good work in the media, making the link between Long Covid and ME/CFS e.g.
    https://pacificmedianetwork.com/art...ore-than-just-a-debilitating-health-condition

Here, in a video from ME Support with Mona talking about Long Covid. Mona says that she has had ME/CFS since 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzwXODMungM

Just noting this from the video - important in the epidemiology of post-infectious syndromes in groups of people who are more likely to have more co-morbidities such as diabetes and heart disease:
    This set of reactions from the Science Media Centre (NZ!)
    https://www.sciencemediacentre.co.n...rt-for-those-with-long-covid-expert-reaction/
    features Mona, and Lynne Russell who is also part of this project.

Dr Lynne Russell
    Dr Lynne Russell works as a Senior Research Fellow - Māori Health with the Health Services Research Centre (HSRC) at Victoria University of Wellington.

Ms Jenene Crossan - has Long Covid and is a Long covid advocate

Dr Lis Ellison-Loschmann - works on Māori health equity issues
    Dr Kirsten Smiler

Dr Anna Brooks - immunologist, has been working on post-infection diseases for a while. Part of Post-Viral Research Aotearoa which signed our Cochrane Open Letter, and has done useful work in the media explaining Long Covid.

Dr David Davies-Payne - paediatric radiologist with Long Covid, definitely up with the research :). Part of Post-Viral Research Aotearoa - scroll right to see the whole team.

Dr Rosie Dobson - psychologist, University of Auckland
    Associate Professor Tupa'ilevaililigi Ridvan Firestone - works on health equity issues for Pacific people
    Dr Fiona McKenzie - along with others listed here, part of the Long Covid collective
    Dr Claire O'Loughlin
    Dr Sarah Rhodes
    Miss Bailey Yee
    Fiona Dunford

I've run out of energy to finish the list, maybe I'll get back to it. But, it's really good to know that so many smart and dedicated people are working on the issue of Long Covid in NZ, and what services for people with Long Covid should look like. And there are people in the team who understand the link between ME/CFS and Long Covid, so it can only be good for people with ME/CFS too.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  11. Ravn

:banghead::mad::wtf::bawling:

In case the emojis aren't clear, the below is not a recommendation, however convincingly written it may seem to the uninformed

The Spinoff: Getting the brain back on track: Is there new hope for sufferers of chronic illness?

If this piece isn't part of that coordinated international push linked to the Oslo Consortium it's at the very least highly opportunistic (my bet is on coordinated)

Don't want to give it any clicks so hopefully this archived link works

https://archive.ph/Y42fx

Apparently it's on X/twitter, too, if anyone feels the urge to comment (politely and well-reasoned of course)

RoseE, Solstice, Midnattsol and 3 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Thanks @Ravn, the archive link worked for me. But, ugh.

For goodness sake. The illness that seemed to start my ME/CFS and that of my two children didn't have us lying in bed for weeks. For my son and I, who still have ME/CFS 10 years later, it didn't even have us significantly changing our routines. We assumed that we would recover, just as we had with previous similar illnesses before.

Here's a roll call of woo:
    And from there it turns into paragraphs of advertising for the Lightning Process. You've heard it all before. Profiteering from the tragedy of Long Covid.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  13. SNT Gatchaman

Umm...

14. SNT Gatchaman

Writing in 2021: The body has its own traffic light system, and it’s been stuck on red for too long, this time with a different metaphor —

I wonder what her response would be to the many articles detailing how earthquakes are caused by "immoral behaviours" (not linking any).

15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Is there something in the water in NZ that makes people particularly susceptible to this nonsense?

Not that your cousins on the Big West Island can hold our heads high.

16. Ravn

Don't know about anything in the water, but them waters sure flow murky

The LP instructor Oliver mentioned in the Spinoff article co-presents at GP conferences with Arroll who's responsible for that awful Goodfellow CME. Arroll is involved in other medical education as well and makes liberal use of papers authored by members & friends of the Oslo Consortium. And so round and round in circles the circus goes (and was that a whiff of tobacco just then? or oil? either way, something stinks here)

Ash, Solstice, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Those metaphors about flood and fire are utterly ridiculous and insulting. Like you, Hutan, I continued with my normal life as best I could when I got ME, to my long term detriment. On the other hand when I got what was probably glandular fever some years earlier, I was bedbound for six months and fully recovered without any brain training or other such nonsense.

Whatever has happened to the need for scientific evidence? This madness is bizarre. Aren't humans strange?

rvallee, Ravn, Solstice and 3 others like this.
  18. SNT Gatchaman

And like others, your model still doesn't explain my disease onset, which although not proven, would seem to have followed an asymptomatic Covid infection. I never was "tired, sore, breathless, feverish, dizzy, nauseous, sad and worried".

obeat, Ash, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  19. Ravn

The Spinoff has, sort of, responded to concerns and the article has been edited:

"This piece was amended on October 1, 2023 to make clear that this is an account of one person’s recovery, not medical advice, and to respond to readers’ concerns about the Lightning Process in relation to ME/CFS."

I haven't checked to see what changes have been made.

Archived revised version: https://archive.ph/7bgd3

Ash, mango, Solstice and 5 others like this.
  20. SNT Gatchaman

Apart from the riders at top and bottom, the main change I saw was —

V1

V2