News from Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Hutan, May 19, 2018.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pleased to report the article has now been pulled. (Was here.) Well done to the NZ ME community who responded.

https://nitter.net/TheSpinoffTV/status/1708620781155176711#m

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What is nitter.net?

Subtropical Island, Ravn, Ash and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Ravn and Solstice like this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Equivalent of twitter for people who don't want to post on twitter I think.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole framing about the solution being so damn simple, requiring no skills at all, all you have to do is to be open-minded, to not be such a downer ruminating about that illness-so-severe-it-left-you-bedbound-for-days that didn't even happen, since most cases stem from mild illnesses anyway, is so creepily similar to the common tactic of tyrannical governments calling their enemies (usually people with no power at all) all-powerful, capable of toppling society in a heartbeat, but also being very easy to beat, all it takes is the will to do it. And every one of their failure is because of that nefarious enemy.

It's not even similar, it's the same thing. The enemy is both weak and all-powerful at the same time, so easy to tame, but capable of destroying everything from within. Coming from expert professionals this is catastrophic. It destroys trust and credibility in all expertise that they have to lie so much and make up fake scenarios that almost never happen. This is as good an example of opening Pandora's box as it gets.

Long Covid has revealed all of this as a giant scam. We even have good data about natural recoveries being the norm, and the more so early on. All of which completely nullifies any weak attribution for a particular treatment. And still it's happening anyway. We even see people saying "this thing helped me", which could just as well have been drinking cow urine on a full moon for all that it matters, and MDs are gushing over it, despite knowing fully that this is not a valid way to demonstrate causal evidence.

It's not just Long Covid, COVID itself made medicine massively regress. It's basically abandoning science as the only valid method of determining what is true and what isn't. It's all feelings now. It's truly baffling what's happening right now. I'd be so depressed if I wasn't so confident in AIs changing everything soon.

alktipping, Sean, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately, this is also actual medical advice you can get from MDs behind their desk in an actual clinic or hospital. And that is the most terrifying thing about it. It's as if geologists were going on about hollow Earth in their normal every day work, integrating it as part of it. Not in their spare time in the week-end but in actual professional work, using it in earthquake prediction models and the like.

You can in fact get this very kind of advice going back decades and routinely so. It's been plaguing medicine for a long time, having essentially built the foundations of the profession not on the scientific method, but rather on some complex mix of various practices and beliefs. Until medicine is actually built on science, it's only going to get worse.

alktipping, Ravn, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

It's an unofficial "mirror" of twitter and allows you to actually read threads and replies without being logged in. I don't know how long it will last, but for less important links that don't need to be permanently recorded here, it seems convenient. From https://nitter.net/about

Nitter is a free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy and performance. The source is available on GitHub at https://github.com/zedeus/nitter

No JavaScript or ads
    All requests go through the backend, client never talks to Twitter
    Prevents Twitter from tracking your IP or JavaScript fingerprint
    Uses Twitter's unofficial API (no rate limits or developer account required)

8. SNT Gatchaman

That's the same link as in my original post. It results in "page not found". Perhaps he had it locally cached.

Ravn, Ash and Trish like this.
  9. Trish

How odd. It worked for me when I posted the link, and now it doesn't.

Ravn and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  11. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you know if it's a recommended watch or is this something best avoided? Video is more than an hour long.

Ravn and Ash like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

It's actually a listen not a watch, as audio only. No need to listen though - the content is good (in my biased opinion) but only represents an overview of the scientific thinking to date, which is probably well understood already here on S4ME. There's certainly nothing in the content to avoid but a positive recommendation only for those that might like to hear a rundown of where the immunology/metabolic arm of LC/ME research is coming from and heading to.

The audience for the talk were prospective donors to the University, so it's a conversational and relatively easy listen with lay descriptions, although as Anna herself says at the beginning "I can talk a lot." :)

13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There are some interesting bits/speculation about immunology, I'm not sure that I can even remember them now and more related to Covid-19 (e.g. the accuracy of the rapid tests) than Long Covid. Good to get to know Anna a bit more though.

14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.wgtn.ac.nz/health/centr...-centre/recent-projects/long-covid-collective

"Long COVID Collective
    A platform for collaboration between researchers, professionals and those with lived experiences of Long COVID to drive the future direction of health delivery.

Upcoming opportunities
    Research should always be fit for purpose - for who it serves.

We'd greatly appreciate your input in identifying crucial Long COVID questions that will shape future studies. We invite you to a one-hour Zoom session to brainstorm ideas. Your contribution will be invaluable. We look forward to your participation.

Key dates
    • Tuesday 24 October 2023, 10–11am: We're keen to hear from individuals with lived experiences of Long COVID.
    • Tuesday 31 October 2023, 10–11am: Researchers and health professionals interested in Long COVID, your insights are crucial.
    • Monday 13 November 2023, 10–11am: Calling all kids with Long COVID and their parents parents to join the discussion.
    Your participation is greatly appreciated, and we're looking forward to these engaging sessions."

There's also a link to the Long Covid Registry, and monthly summaries of Long covid literature.

Ravn, ukxmrv, Sean and 6 others like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fatigue study uses population data

https://www.odt.co.nz/the-star/fatigue-study-uses-population-data

16. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article (appalling headline btw) is about one of the two $25,000 ANZMES research grants. A worthwhile project but unfortunately a bit limited by how much you can do with $25,000 (not meant as a criticism of anybody involved, any criticism must be directed at all the government health research funders past and present who should have funded this sort of thing long ago).

Another limitation is this bit
    The article doesn't say how they're going to address any potential biases arising from this approach and which could involve significant proportions of the total ME population, such as
    • inclusion of people misdiagnosed with ME/CFS
    • exclusion of pwME without a formal diagnosis
    • exclusion of pwME not in contact with the benefit system (e.g. those with a partner earning above the threshold and children fully supported by their parents)
    Still, it's a good start and especially good to see someone from outside the very small circle of established ME researchers taking an interest in ME. Looking forward to the results

17. Ravn

I want what they've got!
    More seriously, it's impressive what the LC people have managed to do in a short space of time (short compared to ME, I'm sure it feels too slow to them)

18. SNT Gatchaman

"monthly summaries of Long covid literature."

I think our weekly News-in-brief is a pretty strong resource though!

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MECFS Canterbury
    Financial Assistance from Work and Income when we are chronically ill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgTxw5iS9GE

20. Ravn

RNZ: NZ must prepare for Long Covid implications, researcher warns
    Continues at https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national...-for-long-covid-implications-researcher-warns