1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE and Cochrane sign collaborative agreement to deliver ‘living’ guideline recommendations

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 1, 2021.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For some inexplicable reason I become nervous when I see links to McKinsey in a CV. Once McKinsey always McKinsey.

2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It sounds very much like current corporate speak.

3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.mycoted.com/Assumption_Surfacing
    Assumption Surfacing
    The aim of this technique is to make underlying assumptions more visible.

• Identify a particular choice you have made, and ask yourself why you feel it is the best choice – i.e. what assumptions guide this choice.
      • List the assumptions, and beside each write a counter-assumption - not necessarily its negation, but the opposite to the issue it represents.
      • Work down the list and delete ineffective assumption/counter-assumption pairs i.e. where it would make little difference to your choice whether the assumption or the counter-assumption were actually the case.
      • Assess each of the remaining assumptions in terms of high or low potential impact (how critical is its truth to justifying your pattern of behaviour?) and high or low plausibility (how confident are you that it is, in fact, true?).
      • Plot the assumptions on a 2x2 matrix (high/low impact on one axis, high/low plausibility on the other).
    High impact/high plausibility assumptions are clearly the most crucial, but high impact/low plausibility assumptions need to be taken seriously, in case they turn out to be true, so check them out if you can.

The assumptions in the ‘high impact’ cells are those that the user sees as largely justifying their actions. Are they over-estimating them? What could change these assumptions? What benefits would there be and for whom?

The assumptions in the ‘low impact’ cells are seen as less critical, but it might be worth checking this out – are they being under-estimated?

Michelle, Missense, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"surfacing and understanding points of divergence"

Is this English? What does it mean?

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That there should be a new white collar criminal code for torturing language?

6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

can you translate for Americans?

7. chrisb

Perhaps it is an example of what Austin call a "performative utterance".

8. sneyz

sneyz Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have a vague hope it's a reference to NICE's surfacing aspirations to school Cochrane in the basics of calculus.

NICE: "So, here we have two time series from a repeated maximal grip strength test. The upper one is of patients fulfilling the Oxford criterion only, the lower one is of patients also fulfilling the ICC. Can you see how the lower series start to diverge from the upper one at timepoint 2?"

Cochrane: "Oh, yes! So that's divergent then? But what does it even mean?"

bobbler, Michelle, Missense and 4 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or it might just be rhyming slang?
    As in Butcher's Hook and Bristol City?
    Or a man about a dog?

10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"So I imagine will not have a clue about all this"

11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, if they're teaching vector calculus, then I'm very supportive of this action.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergence

12. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry -cockney rhyming slang - scooby-doo = clue

13. Caroline Struthers

I must be the exception to what seems to be the rule, once Cochrane, always Cochrane ;-) I don't know about McKinsey, but i will educate myself!

bobbler, Missense, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  14. chrisb

15. chrisb

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    bobbler, Michelle, Missense and 6 others like this.
  16. chrisb

The sections of this dealing with the infiltration of the NHS by McKinsey should be compulsory reading, and then we can set about verification of the information.
    McKinsey & Company - Wikispooks

EDIT this section from the linked article is instructive.
    Lobbying for tech
    McKinsey has long advocated the use of more technology in healthcare, the digitisation of whole health systems, and the opening up of provider and patient data.

For example, a 2012 McKinsey report – The ‘big data’ revolution in healthcare: Accelerating value and innovation - looks at the impact of data and analytics on the healthcare sector. Big data, it claims, will both cut costs and improve the quality of services by: empowering people so they look after themselves better; promoting more evidence-based care (tailored more to individuals); providing accurate assessment of healthcare providers and the quality of their services, and by 'improving innovation'. The consequences, it says, will be improved health and a reduction of potentially hundreds of billions of dollars in healthcare costs. It does, however, include a few (important) caveats:

'Patients will not benefit from [big data] research on exercise, for example, if they persist in their sedentary lifestyles. And physicians may not improve patient outcomes if they refuse to follow treatment protocols based on big data and instead rely solely on their own judgment.'[26]
    Another 2010 McKinsey report on technology in healthcare published with GSMA, which represents the interests of commercial mobile operators worldwide, is called mHealth: A new vision for healthcare and similarly discusses the benefits from healthcare systems adopting mHealth (the use of mobile technologies to deliver healthcare services). This includes texting people to remind them to take medicines; remote diagnosis and even treatment for patients; and remote health monitoring devices that track and report patients’ conditions. Remote monitoring, for example, 'could help overweight adults... by tracking activity levels and nutrition intake,' i.e. whether they exercise and what they eat

Is this behind all the silly Apps which are being trialled for ME? Normally this would not be a problem for someone who left an organisation 13 years ago. However when that organisation claims a lifetime hold over alumni the potential for COI is enormous

EDIT
    And this is from the CV
    Chief Executive of the Accelerated Access Collaborative
    NHS England and NHS Improvement
    May 2019 - Aug 20201 year 4 months

London, United Kingdom

The Accelerated Access Collaborative (AAC) is the umbrella organisation for UK health innovation. Bringing together the Government, NHS and industry leaders, the AAC will act as the front door for innovators looking to get their products tested in or funded by the NHS and will provide a tailored package of support to overcome barriers in the health system which can prevent the best medical innovations from reaching patients.
    The new and boosted Accelerated Access Collaborative (AAC) was launched in M

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Michelle, ukxmrv, Sean and 2 others like this.
  17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not quite sure which organisation you are referring to.

Re NICE - it occurred to me that the Cochranites, within NICE, are analogues to free masons --- if you want to make it up the NICE career tree, then a belief in the principles of GRADE/Cochrane are fast track routes.

As for Cochrane, yes if Gillian is prepared to dig in and hold out for evidence based reviews then good luck to her --- seems to be a lonely post with plenty of demons ---- I'd suggest a pleasant beach to sit on instead. But, lets see, she may be made of sterner stuff.

bobbler, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  18. chrisb

I was thinking in terms of NICE and its proposed collaboration with Cochrane. I suspect that the Masons are old-hat. It now looks as though the entire system is handed on a plate to McKinsey. Who was it said that "business ethics" is an oxymoron.

bobbler, Michelle, Missense and 5 others like this.
  19. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty shocking --- filling your pockets from the public purse and wrecking the health service under the guise of "improvement" - no wonder @Jonathan Edwards packed it in (retired).

--- the title of the new organisation ---National Institute for Health Protection ---- seems Orwellian

bobbler, Missense, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  20. Caroline Struthers

I have read quite a lot into it!

bobbler, Missense, Ariel and 6 others like this.