1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Paediatric chronic fatigue syndrome: 25 year perspective, 2020, Loades, Crawley, Chalder et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Dec 12, 2020.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. In the US, these sorts of stumbles would probably present something of an issue--or maybe not, who knows? In the UK in this domain of science, it's fine to engage in what appears to be research misconduct, get caught, make pretty excuses that everyone understands are bullshit, and have the journals whitewash it away. Really shameful.

MEMarge, EzzieD, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

good point. I forgot to mention that little error.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sly Saint

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Immersive technology sounds to be what we need. Are ducking stools available on Amazon?

6. Sly Saint

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TL;DR: they learned absolutely nothing. Lots of useless speculation, emphasizes CBT and LP as effective treatments. And the music therapy + CBT trial, for some reason. Only one mention of GET, without labeling it as such, a pilot program. The rest is basically a slightly longer version of Wessely's "well, we thought it was depression, but could not confirm it" (not a quote, loose paraphrase).

Seriously they learned absolutely nothing and are boasting about having accomplished nothing.

Also because it's especially relevant to Long Covid: I did not see any mention whatsoever that this is related to infections. They simply don't bother with any of that, just generic idiopathic fatigue.

I remember a Crawley (IIRC) paper from a few years ago that analyzed letters sent by teenaged patients to fatigue clinics, basically describing their situation, their symptoms, etc. And the #1 term was virus. There is no mention of symptoms, or illness, in this review, only fatigue as a vague concept.

What a failure. This is decades of efforts by thousands of people and expenses that amount in the billions already, psychotherapy services aren't cheap when they're used to excess.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Sean, EzzieD, SNT Gatchaman and 3 others like this.