Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"I write this to my fellow covid-19 long haulers whose tissues have healed. I have recovered. I did this by listening to people that have recovered from CFS/ME, not people that are still unwell; and by understanding that our unconscious normal thoughts and feelings influence the symptoms we experience".

His downplaying and clueless account of ME is seriously maddening. We are not 'still unwell'.

Mithriel, sea, Nellie and 18 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Kelland pieces had significant influence, but well before that just the tone of some criticism encourages other academics to be 'loyal' to their colleagues, want to avoid adding to their burden, etc. They also mean that any criticism that is unfair and unreasonable is viewed as part of a wider problem. There are so many ways it's counter-productive. These sorts of things shouldn't really matter, but they do.

Sean, lycaena and alktipping like this.
  3. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well i disagree, i think reacting platonic when someone spits on u is counterproductive when no one is watching

bobbler, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think there is a real problem here in that where there is a chance of recovery (such as with post viral fatigue or early ME if you prefer that label) then it is easy to credit what ever was tried with the recovery. Its quite natural to do. But this is why proper science and trials are needed to remove easy to make correlations. I sometimes think it is worse in that I wonder if people start trying things as they start to feel better and credit what they try.

sea, Wits_End, Snow Leopard and 20 others like this.
  5. Adrian

I think we should have a push for good scientific standards rather then using anecdote to push treatments. Especially from those with 'science labels'.

Mithriel, Wits_End, Anna H and 19 others like this.
  6. Adrian

Doesn't it say alot about the standards of academics who work on 'evidence' in the medical field. Surely they must understand the basics about bias?

Wits_End, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 16 others like this.
  7. Adrian

Other academics should worry when they see the standard of reasoning that puts anecdote above the need for evidence. As someone who works in a different area I know people who get upset by bad research (some people can become standard jokes like the person who proposed music based cryptography). I don't understand how other academics can support such poor thinking.

bobbler, Anna H, sebaaa and 15 others like this.
  8. Esther12

Absolutely. And we want to avoid doing things that might make that harder to achieve.

I can't claim to understand what we've seen, but here we are. We have to try to move forward from where we are.

Wits_End, sebaaa, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

(This is me speaking personally, not as a moderator.)

While I appreciate temperate responses are almost always the best strategy, I think we have to acknowledge the great harm Paul Garner has done with his recent statements. He has been educated in science, and holds positions where he has the capacity to influence the treatment of many people. That he ignores the evidence around recovery curves from post-viral syndromes and instead turns to pseudoscience to attribute his recovery to moral fortitude astounds me. (That someone qualified in infectious diseases would think it was appropriate to head off on a long trip during the middle of a world pandemic, and put himself in the position of contracting dengue fever at a time when medical resources have many better uses also astounds me.)

I think wanting to express our anger in some way* is quite a reasonable reaction (threats of violence and the like aside). Those who use our reactions to Garner's statements against us to further their own goals should be ashamed of their lack of empathy.

* The hedge in my garden has just been cut down to size in a fairly aggressive way.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    bobbler, Wits_End, Anna H and 41 others like this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rusty.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    bobbler, Anna H, sebaaa and 27 others like this.
  11. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I send my best withes to Paul Garner, with the hope he maintains his recovery over time, and that he will not spontaneously relapse down the road, or having a second hit that sends him back to the ME pool.

i take offence by the comment he made in regards to not having psychological problems which results in the maintenance of ME. It is also unfortunate that he is in a position of power, and because of that he was given a bullhorn at BMJ, to share with the entire medical community, including physicians who take care of COVID patients. The harm that he is doing will without doubt cause further trauma to a community of patients who will be told they are not trying hard enough, and re-traumatizing a whole community of ME patients.

Mithriel, Wits_End, Anna H and 29 others like this.
  12. Esther12

I'm conflicted over how anecdotes should be treated, and I worry that being too critical of people who use their own anecdotes to push a particular narrative can be counter-productive. I'm really unsure of my position there. I certainly don't like making reference to anecdotes, and would avoid speaking of my own personal experiences when discussing ME/CFS.

Garner's anecdote driven blog is a particularly weird one given his position and that it's published at the BMJ. But haven;t his other blogs often been like this? Here he intermingles his story with medical claims lacking any sort of reference ("I learnt that our primitive and unconscious defence mechanisms against injury and infection in the brain and other parts of the body sometimes get disturbed, giving false fatigue alarms. A vicious cycle is set up, of dysfunctional autonomic responses being stimulated by our subconscious. These neural tracks become established like tyre tracks in mud. I learnt that I could change the symptoms I was experiencing with my brain, by retraining the bodily reactions with my conscious thoughts, feelings, and behaviour."). I understand why people see it as calculated to promote Recovery Norge style PR, but I feel much less critical of Garner than someone like Vogt. Garner has been through a really strange experience that he will not have had time to properly digest yet. I expect that his colleagues will see any anger expressed by patients as more reason to view the concerns of ME/CFS patients dismissively rather than take them any more seriously.

I think that on this issue it's worth emphasising that the only reason anecdotes, and which anecdotes are selected to be amplified, can be such an important issue around ME/CFS is because of other more important problems.

Wits_End, sebaaa, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will be interesting to see if objective evidence shows up of his recovery. As was highlighted again over the weekend with a Swedish or Norwegian newspaper article, you are trained to lie after LP. I know less about the other brain training courses but the same doubt may apply to people who have done them.

Mithriel, Anna H, sebaaa and 16 others like this.
  14. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just read the BMJ blog. Easily the most poisonous thing I have ever read on me/cfs, at least in many years.

A seemingly reputable reference presenting unscientific reasoning, antecdotal evidence, wish-washy makeup pathology, a dig at behavior of me/cfs patients. Certainty in what happened. Total disregard for post-viral recovery,and the usual course of post-viral fatigue.

In fact he lumps the two together as "...post viral fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME) years ago..."

Misleading use of references (except to back-up what happened, what program was used, or the typical course of post-viral fatigue).

Right, because they might not have recovered from the same things... so let's ignore them?!

This is a invitation to fill-in-the gaps me/cfs dismissal and disgust from any medical professional that wants a reference that seems reliable but isn't. And how many people will know the difference between a proper body of research and the opinion of a reputable doctor?

I mean he literaly just exercised out of it. No one has ever tried that before!

Atle, sea, Wits_End and 25 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

An old quote of Esther12's. It seems that with ME/CFS, it's hard to be too cynical.
    It occurs to me that, if you were in charge of protecting the BPS edifice, 'turning' Paul Garner, with his potential influence on Cochrane reports, would bring about a lot of benefit for a relatively small amount of effort. It probably isn't hard, when someone is beginning to recover, to fill someone's head with the idea that ME/CFS is due to moral weakness, but they are superior to those others who aren't getting better.

I suspect I am not as disappointed with Paul Garner as some.

Atle, Wits_End, Joh and 27 others like this.
  16. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The difference is what the person does with his/her anecdotal experience, the reach of that anecdote and the framing of it.

Trish, sebaaa, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  17. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A response via BMJ Disqus and Facebook:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Atle, Mithriel, Wits_End and 24 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I had shared his previous BMJ blogs on my Facebook which open to a small number of friends and family. It really won’t make any difference but I really didn’t feel comfortable having his articles on my timeline so I’ve gone back and deleted those posts.

I hope he is doing as well as he says.

In the light of the advantages he had from the start of his post viral experience in terms of support from the ME Community and good information from people like Charles Shepherd given the comments he has made I feel no vestige of solidarity with Garner. As it would appear he has no solidarity with people with ME

Atle, Wits_End, Joh and 23 others like this.
  19. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2021
  20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spot on. Patients are taught that the LP doesn't work unless you tell everyone you have recovered (even if you haven't).

The whole article sounds like he has fallen for this scam hook, line and sinker. In fact, it reads as though it's written by someone who has been indoctrinated into a cult.

Mij, Atle, Wits_End and 24 others like this.