Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don’t be daft! only bad vibes cause problems but good vibes don’t solve them? Pffft.

MEMarge, Kitty, Sean and 5 others like this.
  2. MrMagoo

Has Fiona been silenced as well or is it just Paul?

MEMarge, Kitty, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And some don't even get that far " sleep hygiene" knocks then for six .

MEMarge, Kitty, Sean and 8 others like this.
  4. MrMagoo

Ah I used to be mild. I was in that sweet spot of being diagnosed, had the treatment, was still working, got worse then got told I wasn’t nearly sick enough to have ME, just depressed or something.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2024 at 8:52 PM
    MEMarge, Kitty, Sean and 6 others like this.
  5. Maat

Maat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is she describing 'stop' and visualisaton techniques - the Lightening Process?

Definition of heretical
    of or relating to adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma : characterized by heresy
    heretical writings

: of, relating to, or characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards : unorthodox
    It would be heretical to suggest changing company policy.

Heretical Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

MEMarge, Kitty, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, Francesca Steele did Lightning Process. I'll make that clear in the post.

MEMarge, Kitty, Sean and 5 others like this.
  7. Brendan Rob

Brendan Rob New Member

Does anyone know the exact date that Paul Garner started his ‘mind therapy’ I think it was late October 2020 but need to know for sure as am giving information to a Journalist. As Garner was emailing me prior to this date saying he was walking 5 km daily and that he had started riding a bicycle. also that he “didn’t have problems” with “pushing through” i’ve got those emails still but I need the date he flip-flopped into pseudoscience mind-therapy. as well prove he is lying through his teeth

8. MrMagoo

Yes I know people who saw him exercising regularly, in public, around July onwards. He was doing more than 5k.
    When did he go scuba diving and catch Dengue fever? October?

MEMarge, tornandfrayed, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Binkie4, MrMagoo and 5 others like this.
  10. MrMagoo

11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Edit to add:
    September 29
    Paul Garner and colleagues describe how a self-help pacing group has helped them manage their long covid

Last edited: Oct 26, 2024 at 4:00 AM
    MEMarge, Kitty, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  12. Hutan

From a post earlier in the thread, Garner quoted in December
    He was in Grenada in November.

MEMarge, Mij, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  13. Hutan

WHO Press conference 30 October 2020
    So, in 30 October, Garner said that he had begun to improve two weeks ago.

MEMarge, Lou B Lou, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  14. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Curious how Steele's story changed over the course of four months. Archive links:

Times article (November 2022) | Earlier Telegraph article (July 2022)

In the earlier article, she describes a wide variety of interventions, from slightly quackish to entirely quackish including antihistamines, brain retraining courses, low-dose naltrexone, "biodynamic touch" therapy and hyperbaric oxygen, and says that "[a] few months on, I am getting better – about 80 per cent back to my old self. . . [m]ost of it helped a little. . . I now feel time is the missing ingredient to getting me to 100 per cent well, which luckily comes free" and said that she had improved to "about 80 per cent"; in the later article she is at "80-90 per cent".

MEMarge, Kitty, MrMagoo and 4 others like this.
  15. Friendswithme

Friendswithme New Member

Hi, I'm new here. I've been lurking for a while. I hope to contribute to other discussions over time. I used to have M.E (for many years). I don't now so maybe have a different perspective to some here.

Please don't do this (talking to a journalist about PG). You can if you want to but I would ask you please not to.

There is arguing with the science you don't agree with and there is behaviour like this. What do you feel will be achieved? Many people with M.E have varying symptoms over time (sometimes over months but sometimes in one day). That is used to tell people their symptoms aren't real, when that isn't the case. So don't go out there getting a journalist on side to say PG's symptoms varied. What will that achieve? By trying to discredit someone's personal story, you risk turning more people against the community. Who are you to say what PG experienced or didn't experienced, anyway - you might not want to hear that but its the truth, just as some others have differences in their symptoms and don't understand why but have a right to be respected as being unwell.

If you do this, it feeds into the idea that people with M.E are out to get researchers. You risk actually putting others off in case they put a foot out of line and also have their lives dug into.

Ad hominems are made by people who are losing a debate. Don't play that game. Very disappointed the charities aren't putting out a clearer message about this to prevent harm being done.

Deanne NZ and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  16. MrMagoo

I think they’re speaking to a journalist about how what he was doing in real life was different to the story he gave in the press. Which is something widely discussed at the time locally, as he was publicly doing lots of exercise.

Deanne NZ, Amw66, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Friendswithme.

I disagree with your analysis. (You are probably aware that I am a professor of medicine.) Paul Garner's behaviour has been absolutely terrible. The level of hypocrisy is astonishing. He is supposed to be an expert on evidence quality in medicine yet is prepared to tag his name to almost anything that denigrates people with ME/CFS, however appallingly bad the evidence.

A clear demonstration that Garner's story of so-called recovery from mind-body intervention is inconsistent seems to me entirely legitimate. Garner has been trying to make use of his personal story from a position of authority as if it was scientific evidence when he above anyone should know that he should not do that.

The behaviour of the ME/CFS community has not deterred any good researchers. It has finally pushed out a lot of very bad research and good researchers are increasingly signing on and quite a few are members here - including of course Professor Ponting, who became interested because of the plight of someone who has long been a member here and part of the campaign for good science rather than rubbish psychology.

18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Crossposted with the 2 posts above this one.

Hi @Friendswithme, welcome to the forum.

I see this a little differently.

We have a forum rule that does not allow speculation about any individuals' health, but does allow careful discussion about information that is in the public domain.

In the case of Paul Garner, I think it's legitimate to collate his own published articles about his experiences with Long Covid, including his public switch from thanking and praising people with ME/CFS for help with pacing advice, and his switch to denigrating that advice and attributing his recovery to what he now publicly calls neural plasticity.

It is up to a journalist what they make of that series of public articles, and Paul Garner's openly declared campaign against the NICE guideline and in support of the BPS approach and brain training methods.

I don't think it's about ad hominems, I think it's about seeking clarity and trying to understand why Garner is acting so vigorously against us, and making accusations against the ME community, and it is about the legitimate efforts of pwME in trying to counter those accusations.

The fact, shown by the timeline of Garner's illness and recovery he has himself stated, is that he recovered in less than a year, as happens to many people with Long Covid. His choice to attribute this recovery to a particular approach that has no scientific backing is his choice, and his business, but he has made it our business too by his subsequent actions.

With my mod hat on, please everyone focus on the facts as revealed in Garner's own words and actions, and avoid speculation about the details of his health.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2024 at 12:37 PM
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a very important confusion going on here.
    Nobody will be suggesting that Garner did not experience what he experienced.
    What is suggested is that Garner's belief in the reason for his recovery is likely to be baseless because it does not fit even the facts in his case.

Missense, EndME, Deanne NZ and 18 others like this.
  20. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nobody here is arguing with science. Dr Garner's opinions about ME are a belief system, though, which is a different thing.

Please don't believe that old meme, nobody is being put off going into ME research. There are loads of good new researchers going into the field. The only thing 'putting them off' is lack of funding!