Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

quite apart from the ME community, the Long Covid Community have excluded him from many of their online groups.

Sean, Missense, Deanne NZ and 8 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that is rather overestimating what she found. The levels of some rather obscure cytokines shifted a bit after about 3 years I think. Enough to be statistically significant maybe but nothing that we would normally take as relevant in clinical practice.

When those data came out I was impressed by the careful methodology and that something ad been found but I saw it as a tiny clue rather than anything to hang a theory on. Since then we have not heard more. I suspect that Hornig realised that there was no obvious way to build on the story.

ukxmrv, Sean, Missense and 9 others like this.
  3. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really think they’re best ignored, they can shout into the void because hardly anyone is buying it.

We are not “stopping people getting well” people are well able to hear about GET, LP, Brain-training App (I forget what it’s called) just as they are also able to read NICE guidance and NHS guidance, and make their own decisions. Free speech innit?

Why aren’t they lobbying the NHS to roll out their miracle cures, rather than attacking patients and patient groups for not believing they work?

ukxmrv, Sean, Missense and 6 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They probably are. Garner has published yet again criticising the NICE guideline, and supported by PACE authors and Wessely.

rvallee, Medfeb, Sean and 11 others like this.
  5. Maat

Maat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who's to say they're not doing both when there has been no method of officially reporting harm from psychosocial treatment similar to the yellow card scheme? That only changed in Oct 2023 when the HSSIB relaunched, but it has not been tested yet on this subject matter.

Sean, Missense, Deanne NZ and 5 others like this.
  6. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do agree, and I think providing an opposition can just add fuel to the fire, but it’s easier to spread a catchy one liner than it is to get all MECFS X users to agree to ignore this sort of thing.

Sean, Deanne NZ, MrMagoo and 3 others like this.
  7. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Biopsychosaurus works for me, as does “first, do no harm”

8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Some posts discussing possible journalists who could cover the story have been removed as off-topic

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They very accurately embody the expression of people being so accustomed to privilege that they perceive equality and fairness as injustice. That they should have to provide evidence for their claims beyond their own opinions, when they have had the privilege of doing so for decades, is basically lèse-majesté as far as they're concerned.

As if they should have to do what everyone but them has to. They never had to before! Why should this start now?! Instead we see a move away from it, the only way they can keep on pretending that their clownish nonsense is anything but vapid delusions.

EzzieD, Sean, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.