Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not sure that was the full timeline @Kitty - it’s been a long week!
    It was certainly a continuous and huge bodyblow to PwME - payback for George’s excellent article?

- From memory it was PG article on Monday,
    - blocking by TG on Tuesday (she was happy to unblock people if you had a personal sponsor) - I believe that the abuse that she had received came from the mask/Covid deniers.
    - TV programme Thursday (?). That was when TG had not heard exactly what CG had said.

A hard week for us all :hug:

Woolie, Simbindi, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In one way yes, absolutely.
    Maybe not entirely though. I agree that all the earlier posts were sympathetic but I remember from the start being sceptical that he really understood the implications of what he had latched on to.

3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I keep waiting for an appropriate moment to post this on the thread but maybe now will do.

Thank you @Jonathan Edwards. I haven't laughed out loud for what seems like a very long time.

5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Emotional lability" has alwys been cosidered a symtom of ME. I begin to wonder whether intellectual lability should also be considered.

6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Edit: @Robert 1973 beat me to my suggestion to make this point on Twitter:

Code:
    https://twitter.com/RobertHMcMullen/status/1355521422089715712
    Also I think it would be good to have a transcript of the the moderator's question (complete wording) that prompted CG's answer.

Sorry I'm not able to do that myself.

Big thanks to everyone doing all this very good work on Twitter and beyond (documentation, transcription, genuine questions, factual arguments.)

Woolie, Wits_End, Alton and 8 others like this.
  8. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Except when one of the someones in question literally did that very thing in writing in his blog post a few days ago!

9. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

Plus she said this whilst seemingly being completely unaware of what CG had actually said on TV re exercise and was then rather surprised when someone pointed out what CG had said. So she was jumoing to conclusions, backing CG's perspective, without knowing the facts and then, as far as I can see, she didn't clearly correct this error.

10. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People at the Guardian and Observer seem to be finally waking up:
    36BE20FD-CD97-4B5A-9593-7491467B3BE5.jpeg

Meanwhile, the video tweet has had 35,000 views and over 200,000 impressions.

Michelle, Ariel, Sean and 15 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always find it weird when people still trot out Pavlov. Dogs are smart. Dogs can learn. That's not conditioning, that's just learning that when the guy rings a bell there's food incoming. Smart dogs get that. Don't need to be a conditioned robot for that to happen.

Hell the entire food advertising industry is built on that: show people delicious-looking food and they'll get hungry and maybe buy your food. We can use our imagination and so can dogs, even if to a lesser degree. People have been obsessed with brainwashing for so long it seems people have missed that the whole premise has been invalidated, intelligence is far more complex than that. Militaries have tried everything, it's not that simple.

12. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve uploaded a video of the the whole interview here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/21888ojqavgjxcr/Video 28-01-2021, 14 17 39.mov?dl=0

if anyone wants to put it on YouTube and share, please feel free.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1355502860478386178

https://twitter.com/user/status/1355264884896890892

https://twitter.com/user/status/1355238676654137344

At the beginning the the interview Naga Munchetty says:
    “We can speak to two people who have struggled with long covid also: Dr Clare Gerada is a GP and joins us from London, and Professor Paul Garner is an epidemiologist.”

So I think it’s pretty clear that she was presented, and presented herself, as someone who had long covid.

I can’t reply to CG because she’s blocked me. Perhaps someone could reply for me.

13. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Did the BBC choose at all or was this a story pushed to them by a press lobby group such as the SMC?

JellyBabyKid, Sean, Wits_End and 10 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Gerada seems to have made herself the expert GP for the BBC on everything to do with Covid. She's been on the main Radio 4 news program in the mornings several times. It's all too easy for a news organisation to keep going back to the same 'expert'.

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, Chezboo, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True, but the problem isn't really going back to the same person. The problem is perhaps choosing the wrong person to go back to.

17. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had concerns about how things could turn out with Garner if he recovered - a distinct possibility having been ill for only a few months - ever since he wrote the above back in June. I was amazed he accepted such an explanation.

Sean, alktipping, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

TG's tweets seem to have lost any relation to logic or reality.
    That last one on very powerful people is completely non sequitur.

Marky, Ariel, MeSci and 18 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

downloaded it but something wrong with the video (it was sideways and out of sink with the audio, which was OK)
    did a quick transcript from around half way through:

male interviewer "another thing of course you both have in common is that you are in a way experts, I mean one a GP and one an epidemiologist, I just wonder Paul, you presumably knew a lot about Covid, you are an expert in this field and there it happens to you."
    PG: " Yes, you think you're an expert, when it happens to you you're just an ordinary patient just like everybody else, and you have to sit and reflect what's happening to you. It was an extremely frightening illness but I've learnt a lot about my own body and about how to recover and like Clare, like the importance of gentle exercise and positive thinking to take you forward out of it...............

female interviewer"you know what's interesting clare talking to you and paul, is that you are both very fit, you enjoy exercise, and psychologically it's a real shock being told as someone who exercises regularly, don't do it because you are going to damage yourself, then there's that fear that paul touched upon, that fear of getting back out there in case you get worse. What would you say Clare, to those people who are in this position and who are scared now, what would you say in terms of just living with the after effects of this"

CG:"Well there is nothing that isn't made better through exercise............"

male interviewer " ..you have two experts, two medical advisors both saying the approach mentally it's so important as well, taking that positive thought process ahead"

TiredSam, Michelle, ukxmrv and 23 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

So there is little room for doubt that this is a case of recognised expert bullshit.

Joan Crawford, Marky, MeSci and 26 others like this.