Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is Cochrane actually answerable to anyone?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The government funding agencies that fund them, presumably.

3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea, you're supposed to read from a large dataset to (help) interpret the specific --- not the reverse! You would have thought that would have occurred to Paul Garner!

ladycatlover, Louie41, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  4. FMMM1

Possibly another question - are the users of Cochrane actually answerable to anyone?

After all if you base your decisions on unreliable data then you should be answerable for that!

Louie41, EzzieD, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  5. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm in agreement with you here, I'm just explaining why I think his behavior makes sense, and why we should have empathy for him.

Louie41 likes this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You would think so but not necessarily. If the system you work within states that's a legitimate source of reference material then you're covered.

Anyone remember when BS5750 became a big thing? It was supposed to be a quality standard and if you were BS5750 compliant then that was a selling point.

I somehow managed to end up with the task of writing up the procedures for our section of engineers. I agreed to it because I thought it meant we could look at how we worked and see what we could do better, more efficiently etc.

Nope. All they wanted was procedures to be documented. Then we each had to have access to the material for reference. So we all had to carry a great big folder around in the boot of our cars. Long time ago before t'interweb.

We didn't have to know or understand the procedure, just demonstrate that we could look it up on the spot. The documented procedure didn't even need to be particularly good or efficient. It just needed to be documented.

Of course, someone will then go and assume what's documented is best practice, or is 100% accurate or whatever. Isn't always the case.

BS5750 has long since been superseded by various other standards. I would hope they are better but....

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes and clearly being regularly updated unlike the Cochrane central database with regards to ME/CFS research.

ladycatlover, Sean, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Yes but not with the BS number I always thought of it as ISO9000 (or TQM) and some of the good parts have become standard practice in terms of applying a process and making sure things are reproducable etc. In my world (of IT security) there are a whole set of standards for code production to help it become secure (or at least less bug free) and lots of that follows the same basic ideas. Microsoft pushed a lot for the creation of such practices as they were doing such a bad job.

The notion in ISO 9000 is around continual improvement so that once the way you do things is documented then you can start to improve. But I think that rarely happens unless something goes really wrong.

The way I see Cochrane is they kind of have a methodology but how they deal within seems entirely random and dependant on the skill and prejudice of those involved. Which then becomes an issue. As you say documenting such processes may help meet a standard but doesn't help achieve quality - for that you need good processes and procedures. Ones that are reviewed, checked for how they deal with identified risks etc. That tends to happen more these days (or that is the impression I get)

ladycatlover, Sean, Louie41 and 5 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

To me it looks as though he was well on his way to recovery when he was captured by the Norwegians with particular views.

How would you have us demonstrate our empathy for Paul Garner?

Paul Garner was uniquely well placed to make a positive difference to people with ME/CFS. He's benefited from years of education. He has professional roles as a Professor of Infectious Diseases; roles in Cochrane related to infectious diseases and evidence-based medicine. He is comfortably well-off. I think he has a close relative with ME/CFS; he had a small taste of how awful post-viral fatigue syndrome can be; people with much experience with ME/CFS reached out to him to help him and support him. He recovered, so has the energy to advocate. He could have been an enormous force for good.

Or, he could have just kept quiet and planned his next overseas holiday. Either would have been fine.

Instead, he chose to add to the stigma, propping up pseudoscience and suggesting that people can overcome post-viral fatigue syndrome with willpower and moral fortitude. He has used his platform and his connections to make it more difficult to get the research we need done, and it doesn't look like he's going to stop doing it anytime soon.

There are people who develop ME/CFS when they are young, and so never get to experience so many of the joys of life. There are the people who developed ME/CFS after Ebola - in countries with no welfare systems, who lost their families to the acute illness, who had their homes and possessions burned by neighbours afraid of Ebola, who now can't work to support themselves. There are people who lie in darkened rooms, with their lives, and those of family members who care for them on hold. All of us who have had our lives turned upside down and have lost so much; and all of the people yet to develop ME/CFS before an effective treatment is found. Those people are a long way further up my list of people worthy of empathy.

Sure, I'll give Paul Garner the respect that any human deserves. And yes, I don't know everything that made him do what he has done. But I'm not going to excuse what he has done, or understand how he keeps on doing it.

ladycatlover, Sean, Mithriel and 25 others like this.
  10. petrichor

You can have empathy towards people whilst still aknowledging what they're doing is bad. I'm not excusing what he's doing or suggesting it's okay.

And ME/CFS does ruin people's lives horribly, including people in countries with no welfare systems who got ebola and lost their families to ebola. But society and people in general have no understanding of that and don't think about that. The nature of the condition means that people just don't consider those things, think of the consequences of their actions regarding ME/CFS, or care about or empathise with people with ME/CFS like other conditions. There are probably homeless people with ME/CFS, who spend their entire time lying on the side of a street, people on the brink of starvation with it in developing countries (and developed countries), and many who commit suicide before getting diagnosed. There's a lot of horrible things about ME/CFS which people just don't think about.

I don't think that changes that you can have some empathy towards Paul Garner though. The lack of empathy and consideration for people with ME/CFS in his actions is more of a reflection of the status quo than that he's a bad person undeserving of empathy.

Louie41 and Tia like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Empathy comes from within when we see others suffering. We can't instruct others to have empathy for someone. I felt some empathy for Garner when he wrote about his suffering while he was experiencing post covid symptoms, no more nor less than the empathy I feel for anyone else suffering similarly, and who I don't know personally. People with ME reached out to him and offered him lots of empathy and support, as did his support group of long Covid sufferers.

However, he is now, in his own words, fully recovered and able to live a full and very active life. Moreover he is now acting in a way towards others still suffering with ME and/or long Covid that is no less than gaslighting, and using his status to do so. Why would anyone expect me to go on feeling empathy for someone doing that?

ladycatlover, Sean, Mithriel and 23 others like this.
  12. petrichor

When I say empathy I guess I mean empathy for what he's been through, and having some understanding for the context in which he's acting this way, which is partially a result of what he's been through.

Louie41 likes this.
  13. FMMM1

Since I don't follow this closely I'm really just guessing here. The NICE review has uncovered a pile of poo - poor quality psychological and/or exercise studies which are unblinded an have subjective outcomes. On the face of it the next step is easy --- NICE works on the basis of evidence so all of these studies have been downgraded and they cannot be included in the revised guidance. However, the "other" factors kick in --- vested interests (folks who benefit from flawed strategies), politicians (who haven't a clue/don't care) supporting the vested interests---.

One big push to get this right --- NICE's raison d'ĂȘtre is to assess the evidence and act on that; if they surrender on that, then they've removed the basis for their existence. I suspect that's why @Jonathan Edwards found himself being grilled by competent people, when he gave evidence to the review team - NICE wants to get back on track.

Some of the other stuff is just surreal @Caroline Struthers seems to have been told that the "user friendly" version of the NICE guidance doesn't have to align with/reflect the actual guidance.

I'm grateful to the folks who are challenging this crap --- the system needs that challenge.

EDIT - I think one of the things we can do is highlight that the real victims here are people who have lost their healthy lives - not those who are winging about loosing the pay check for treatments that don't work/research that doesn't deliver. That way we highlight, to the uninformed/uncaring politicians, that they should support us not the folks who are winging about supporting flawed psychological/exercise treatments.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    ladycatlover, Sean, Louie41 and 17 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

The other problem is the way the "system" works.

New guidelines aside -

NICE makes recommendations but allows caveat that practitioner has to use their judgement (not in itself unreasonable)

Practitioner applies guidelines incorrectly (such as prescribing or referring a severe ME patient for GET)

Patient gets hurt.

It's extremely difficult & stressful to make a complaint and the PALS (support group for patients isn't very helpful).

NICE don't take responsibility they just make recommendations and the practitioner uses their judgement. The practitioner doesn't take responsibility because he was following "best practice" / the guidelines / what is considered gold standard & of course can point to the likes of the Cochrane exercise review to make their case.

The renaming of one size fits very few treatment allows it to carry on. Instead of being open about the standard treatment people get they say it is individualised so that exercise or activity increments are based on the individual - but that was always the case with GET. A % increase based on what the individual could do.

While ever shifting terminology and the sly adoption of and reinterpretion of terms patients use is allowed to continue we have to make sure that gains made by the people who have worked so hard on our behalf actually make a difference where the patient meets the healthcare professional.

While it remains possible for everybody to stand around pointing the finger at everyone else to deny responsibility then it will still be possible for patients to face the same problems.

I too am very grateful for all that everyone has done for the community and working on guidelines, dealing with Cochrane and so forth. That is still just one part of the battle, making sure that progress actually results in change for the patient is a battle we will still have to fight.

Arnie Pye, ladycatlover, Sean and 8 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Yes the BS (!) was later replaced by ISO. Documentation should help improve and drive forward quality of procedures where the will to do so exists. Unfortunately, without the desire to continually assess and improve the same documentation can be used to hide behind and duck responsibility. A two edged sword.

16. Invisible Woman

Where is his empathy for patients with ME?

In his role he should understand that most people who become ill with a virus him & develop post viral fatigue syndrome will recover in the first year. The vast majority of people who contract a virus of one form or another do recover - again he knows that.

When it comes to the experience of the majority of patients who filled in at least four different patient surveys indicating that exercise harmed them he dismisses that and instead believes his own personal experience trumps the lived experience of thousands of others.

I feel empathy towards anyone who has suffered & even though I have been ill for decades I clearly remember how hard those first years were. On the other hand I'm afraid I have only contempt for someone who is using their own good fortune to further the suffering of an already vulnerable and neglected patient group. Especially when that someone is in a position, thanks to his training and job, to appreciate that his chances of recovery were always very good - even if it didn't feel like that at the time.

ladycatlover, Sean, Louie41 and 19 others like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like what is wrong with traffic engineering. No other engineering profession would tolerate such high rates of injury and mortality...

FMMM1, Louie41, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are you questioning the beauty of the emperor's new clothes? That's a paddling.

Cultural pressure is one hell of a drug.

Louie41, Kitty, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

re empathy - We can also try to empathise with people who are not facing any particular reason to suffer. We should be able to empathise, to varying degrees, with everyone.

If people only try to empathise with those who seem to be suffering then they're likely to end up with less and less of an understanding of those closer to the top of society, and how their own behaviour will be viewed by those who are not seen as suffering. It's often this group whose judgements hold the most sway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021
    Sean, Louie41, Michelle and 1 other person like this.
  20. Invisible Woman

Responding to a deleted paragraph from another post.

It is perfectly possible to have empathy with a person for one thing but feel contemptuous about them for another.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021
    ladycatlover, Louie41, Kitty and 4 others like this.