Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently, Jamieson Hurry's book was preceded by his like-named article published in the BMJ in 1914 (a year before publication of the book.).
    https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/1/2791/1404.full.pdf

The article is probably a fair summary of the ideas in his much longer book and I thought it might be useful for those who aren't inclined to read the 90 page volume.

He helpfully concludes by writing that Hippocrates' dictum that "Nature is the healer of disease" is a "delusion" when it comes to neurasthenia, but fortunately (his) "Art triumphs where Nature fails."

[ ".. and pride goeth before a fall." ]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Midnattsol, Hutan, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So he thought the condition was characterised by "nosophobia", fear of disease. Or to put it another way, hypochondriasis.

Ash, cfsandmore and Mithriel like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to see that statement from PG dissected.

I don't know anything about confidence in various types of research results but I did find a historical perspective on this from 2012 although I cannot read that much nor follow it all. I don't know how well this does on the subject:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3124652/

5. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Corrupt? As in, when the NICE resignations took place, and one of the resigners happened to work in the same building in the same University of Paul Garner and the BMJ happened to interview not an me/cfs researcher, not a clinician but PG? Just a remarkable, unrelated happenstance.

Is defending publicly Per Fink?

Kirsten, Anna H, Midnattsol and 4 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mean truly working behind the scenes abusing the power of professional associations and personal connections in their leaderships, trying to corrupt the CEO of NICE and pressuring who knows how many people behind the scenes really is an unprecedented level of corruption. And that's on top of years of abusing statutory authority and fraudulent behavior.

It's 100% projection with these people. They're talking about cherry-picking and selective reporting, people who have done nothing but that their entire career, turned it into an art form. And about corruption and pressure from "activists", while theirs is pretty well documented. And only listening to the opinions of some. Damn it's like layers of projection, like some corruption cake of some kind. Or maybe pastries.

What sucks even worse is that it works. It's so dumb but it still works. Because politics. But wow will this look vile and scandalous when the ground shifts. Because this kind of correspondance doesn't get retired into archive boxes anymore, it will be searchable and categorized. I will personally make sure of this, hopefully, if I make it. It will have very friendly and usable user interface and experience.

I wonder if Garner could be goaded into being especially libellous, given UK laws being what they are, but I assume NICE would have to make a complaint and I don't see that happening.

MEMarge, Mij, Anna H and 7 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting how they go on and on about evidence that has been disregarded, yet never speak of the reason why: the very poor quality of that evidence.

Kirsten, MEMarge, Anna H and 5 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can't be bothered with PG any more. His writing is such a sad caricature of scientific reasoning. I can't see anyone being able to persuade him he's got this badly wrong.

Michelle, MEMarge, Mij and 16 others like this.
  9. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering if it meets the standard of libel, but like you said, it would require NICE to pursue it...

EzzieD and alktipping like this.
  10. Barry

If people ignore him then he will probably make wilder and wilder self-incriminating accusations.

ukxmrv, EzzieD, Sean and 2 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Im wondering at what point NICE do defend themselves?

Kirsten, Daisymay, Barry and 7 others like this.
  12. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's hard to say since I couldn't read the whole Lancet article. You'd assume that NICE would be pretty annoyed by that and PG's tweets. It's an attack on the integrity of NICE maybe even more so than the me/cfs community.

Ash, Daisymay, Anna H and 7 others like this.
  13. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NICE probably wondering why this silly man is still banging on….too much LP…:laugh:

Kirsten, MEMarge, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  14. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clip of Garner talking about a doctor he knows who sees people with similar conditions to Long Covid. The doctor says that people who believe it is "entirely biomedical" don't get better. He then does 20s of laughter therapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBwZP7mWlDg

Ariel, SNT Gatchaman, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Toxic positivity and patient blaming. Ugh.

Ariel, Wits_End, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  16. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be honest, I have this belief that at some point in the future someone will make an award-winning documentary on how nasty the BPS crew was towards this disease, how they twisted everything, how much politics was involved, how they made so many people's life miserable and so on. And honestly, these people provide great material for it. So whenever I see these kinds of comments from them, I just think "Just keep them coming! These will sound great in that docu!" :rolleyes:

Ariel, rainy, Wits_End and 21 others like this.
  17. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh my, watched it and truly feel embarrassed for both of them. Of course they disabled comments on the video. AND, YouTube has this new policy of Dislikes no longer being allowed. So that makes for a perfect little echo chamber. It's hard to understand how someone in such a prestigious position as he is, can be utterly unaware of how silly he makes himself look to any rational observer.

18. Barry

I think that NICE might feel no need bothering to defend themselves against such poorly evidenced tirades.

Ariel, MEMarge, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who is the women interviewing him?

20. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan and Mij like this.