Paul Garner on Long Covid and ME/CFS - BMJ articles and other media.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by lycaena, May 5, 2020.

1. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brainfog is a terrible name for significant cognitive disfunction. The term is increasingly being used by members of the general public who say they have brainfog too, describing being a bit 'foggy' or hungover. Brainfog makes cognitive disfunction sound vague and unmeasurable.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It was quite an interesting listen, the interviewer was good, as were the three women who phoned in with their experiences. Garner ended up in a corner I thought, in a way that amused me, having to acknowledge the seriousness of Long Covid and say that more research is needed. And the interviewer said something along the lines of 'it's all very well if you can organise your life to accommodate the disease, but what about the people who have to keep working to meet the costs of living, and don't have people to support them?'.

To me, Garner did not come out of it well, he sounded very muddled. I think people who spend less time thinking about Long Covid might have believed Garner is an expert, but they would not have come away from that discussion thinking 'oh, Long Covid is the result of faulty illness beliefs and it's just a matter of staring down the barrel of the gun and pulling yourself together'. I think any BPS messages Garner might have wanted to get across were drowned out by the words from the others, who made it clear that this is a big and real problem that medicine does not yet have answers for.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  3. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The interviewer totally bought into Garner's 'fear response' narrative and proceeded to be a mouthpiece for Garner's nonsense, emphasising fear and anxiety to the callers.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pathogenesis of the inability to stand upright for long periods of time and process information is not 'brain fog'.

It's not new or 'mysterious', it's been around for a long time.

5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was watching out for something like this. One might almost imagine he wasn't well enough to carry on with a full time demanding job or something.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

One could also imagine that he is being managed out, in a somewhat face-saving way.

MEMarge, Ariel, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many years ago experts in AIDS dementia said that there was an ME dementia which was transient. Dementia is the only way to describe some of our experiences like not being able to think how to get home or what carrot is. It is a much better word for even if it is frightening. We have minimised out disease over the years to our detriment. ME Association policy in the 80s was to not mention how serious the disease could be in case it worried new sufferers. (Though, in fairness, at this time it was believed that people would just give up if they were told they had a serious disease. My father was not told he had cancer for instance)

ME has measurable cognitive deficits which get worse as we become tired but they are not a symptom of tiredness. Fatigue and difficulty thinking are both from the same biological failure to produce enough energy not cause and effect.

8. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not surprised to see this. We’ve seen other LP advocates who claim to have been cured drop out of mainstream employment and become public spokespeople for the alleged cure.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't Garner around retirement age anyway?

MEMarge, RedFox, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  10. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been trying the powerful manly thoughts protocol.

First I became a builder. Then I became a soldier. Then I became a biker. Then a police man. Then a cowboy and a Native American.

I was in the navy. I had fun staying at the YMCA. I went West, but the Petshop Boys were copying me and even they weren't having any luck.

I tried my hardest to be a macho, macho man. It just didn't work.
    Note to the editor: It's spelled "tiring". ;)

Or maybe you meant he's being tiring again?

Michelle, MEMarge, rainy and 17 others like this.
  11. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched some of this until I had to go and make dinner, and then the news about the queen was announced. At about 36 mins in he had a not very subtle dig at "patient activist groups" adding them to the list of types of people who spin and spread misinformation to hide the truth...so they can triumph....or something. I wonder which patient activist groups he was referring to? He then spoke admiringly of his "friend and colleague" from Norway Vegard Wyller...the author of the retracted and republished music therapy study. https://bmjpaedsopen.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000620ret. I expect there was more about patient activists later, but I missed it. It was recorded so we can all check it out later.

Hutan, MEMarge, rainy and 15 others like this.
  12. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely there can't be many people who could keep pace (no pun intended) with this lot --- spin and spread misinformation to hide the truth... covers it pretty accurately. Surely he should be pointing out the strategies they've used and telling the ill/those representing them to keep up/learn from the masters!

alktipping, Wonko, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

think this might be an ad for his job:

https://www.cochrane.no/aggregator/sources/1?page=0

Hutan, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. Sly Saint

15. Sly Saint

1st speaker Paul Garner: "he loves controversy...........any chance of getting on the television, he's there".
    2nd speaker slide "Are academic institutions corrupt" published in the Lancet Vol 342
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PII0140-6736(93)91738-8/fulltext
    (need registration to access).
    Paul Garner said the editorial on the article was written by him.
    Also mentions this paper
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jrsm.1599?af=R

Paul Garner starts speaking around 19:00

16. Sly Saint

17. Sly Saint

upload_2022-9-18_18-47-33.png

upload_2022-9-18_18-49-14.png

title of talk taken from ' a friend in Norway'
    upload_2022-9-18_18-53-0.png

found this on FB

upload_2022-9-18_18-54-4.png

Hutan, Snow Leopard, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

his personal experience of covid starts 57:00

Ariel, Hutan, livinglighter and 2 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like it's a good thing he's retiring if that's as coherent as he can be about Long Covid.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    TruthSeeker, Ariel, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah is it just the transcript that makes him sound incoherent, or maybe he didn't quite recover fully? Because this is a word salad with hefty "huhs" as toppings and a meandering of extra sour vinaigrette.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    ukxmrv, Ariel, Hutan and 8 others like this.