1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

People with invisible disabilities like me are routinely disbelieved — and it can have long-lasting effects (mentions ME)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sean, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

2. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree Sean, I have a invisible disability of autism. I have had big troubles with doctors through the years. Especially one time a neurologist tried to diagnose me with conversion disorder based on my father inlaw passed away. He was so ignorant and wrong and didn't know nothing about autism

obeat, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have trouble communicating with doctors as well. Also, when I told one neurologist I applied for disability, he expressed doubts I'd get approved because he claimed they rarely awarded it to young people. I got approved. For autism. They decided I became disabled when I was 21. On a date before my ME onset.

obeat, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a somewhat similar experience. Many years ago, when at the emergency ward, my treatment for a very real physical problem was derailed for a time.

It was starting to look like my physical problem was going to be dismissed, because a relative had recently passed away, and the staff were blaming my problem on stress.

I did finally receive the treatment I needed.

livinglighter, obeat, Sean and 7 others like this.
  5. ToneAl

I wonder how much bias there is in diagnosis and how much misdiagnosis because of it.

6. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've never seen research about this. It would be hard to fund/publish because the results would shock people and be highly controversial.

But imagine if we could follow a large cohort, and carefully track their symptoms and what conditions those symptoms are attributed to over time. Perhaps giving them workups from doctors critical of psychosomatic medicine. The numbers could be scary. Like what if 5% of people in the general population experience, at some point, a medical condition that's initially diagnosed as mental or minor.

7. ToneAl

Redfox how did you react to your autism diagnosis To me it was a relief but also angry because it should have been diagnosed earli

8. ToneAl

I suppose we will never find out because doctors want to protect their image and stature. Plus you may have to a have long period of time to v track patients and medical records can be fractured