Petition: S4ME 2023 - Cochrane: Withdraw the harmful 2019 Exercise therapy for CFS review

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Hutan, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Trial By Error: What's Going On with Cochrane's Exercise Review Mess?

quote:
    Cochrane’s ongoing failure to update the public on developments is troubling, especially since the 2019 review continues to be cited in defense of the crumbling treatment paradigm based on graded exercise therapy and cognitive behavior therapy. The matter is especially urgent given that the same cabal of investigators that has promoted this approach to ME/CFS for decades has now latched onto Long Covid in seeking to reverse its declining fortunes. The continued existence of the discredited 2019 review provides cover for this group to continue their harmful antics.

Cochrane should remove the 2019 review now and then, as quickly as feasible, produce a new one that actually adheres to acceptable evidentiary standards. The entire episode threatens to batter Cochrane’s reputation, if it hasn’t already.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2023
    Michelle, Kitty, bobbler and 24 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, @dave30th.

One small correction at the beginining. Our first letter was sent on 28th August, not 4th September. It was the petition that was started on the 4th Sept.

Kitty, bobbler, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hi all just a reminder as we come up to two months of the petition being live that if you’ve shared it on social media or in any groups it is a good idea to post it again as algorithms often mean that people who follow you don’t necessarily pick up posts in their feeds.

MeSci, MEMarge, Kitty and 12 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

Many thanks to Millions Missing Holland who have signed the letter and support the petition.

Binkie4, MeSci, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks for pointing out. I've corrected it.

MeSci, Kitty, Laurie P and 8 others like this.
  8. Science For ME

Science For ME Forum Announcements

Today the Science for ME Committee sent a letter of complaint to the Cochrane Complaint email address covering five specific complaints. It has been posted here:
    S4ME: 2023 Open Letter to Cochrane - request for action on the ME/CFS Exercise Therapy Review

We have also posted an update on the petition which summarises the letter of complaint and notes that another 5 organisations have added their support to the campaign. The update is copied here:

Petition update
    30 October 2023

We have sent formal complaints to Cochrane

Cochrane has a system whereby complaints, defined as 'an expression of unhappiness about a failure of process or an important misjudgement' are accepted and are responded to.

Today, the Science for ME committee sent formal complaints to Cochrane. The document can be found here [link] and covers the following topics:

Complaint A: A failure of process - no removal of an outdated and incorrect review in the time frame promised.

We linked to the Editor-in-Chief's own statement that made clear that the 2019 review was to only stay in place for two years, when it would be replaced by an updated review.

Complaint B:
    A failure of process - failure to follow normal procedure on a critical comment

Cochrane has a facility where comments can be posted about reviews. In August 2020 Michiel Tack notified Cochrane of nine major problems with the Larun et al 2019 review. A Cochrane Senior Editor acknowledged the comment, saying that the review was 'in the process of being updated as a priority'. Lack of progress on the new review leaves the nine problems unaddressed for over 3 years to date, and the flawed review in place unchanged.

Complaint C: A failure of process - failure to take effective action for over two years by the Editor-in-Chief on the stalled new review process.

Cochrane set up the process for the new protocol and review in early 2020 with planned publication of the new review in early 2022. We spell out the two years of broken promises on regular updates, public consultation and the lack of response from the IAG email address. Cochrane managers have failed to intervene effectively, or possibly at all, to set the process back on track.

Complaint D: A failure of process - the Editor-in-Chief's failure to address serious concerns from the public, and passing them, inappropriately, to the IAG that has no power to act on our requests, and has a non functioning email address.

We inform the complaints department of our letters to Cochrane starting on 28th August 2023, this petition, and the brief and unsatisfactory replies from the office of the Editor-in-Chief. We point out that redirecting our concerns to the IAG is wholly inappropriate, since the IAG is not responding to any correspondence, and has no power over what happens to the 2019 review. We conclude that Dr Soares-Weiser, the Editor-in-Chief's unwillingness to take responsibility is a major failure of process and judgement.

Complaint E: An important policy misjudgement - making the withdrawal of the 2019 review contingent on the publication of a new review.

We cannot accept the Editor-in-Chief's judgement that the question of withdrawal of the 2019 review is closed four years after its temporary publication when circumstances have changed. We highlight more up-to-date evidence reviews by NICE and the CDC which do not support the conclusions of the 2019 Cochrane review, and spell out harms from the review remaining. We say that failure of the process to produce the new review should not be used as a delaying tactic to keep the old review in place. We asked Cochrane to consider in whose interests it is to keep the outdated review? Clearly it is not in the interests of science or patients.

We noted that if the IAG resumes its regular updates in the next few weeks, that will not resolve any of our complaints, since the process of completing and taking the new review to publication, if it ever happens, will take many more months, if not years, while the old review remains and continues to harm people with ME/CFS.

We will keep you updated about Cochrane's response.

THANKS

Thank you very much to Trish Davis for her great work putting the complaints document together.

Thank you also to the five organisations who have added their names to the now 59 organisations who are supporting the campaign since the last update. You can find the full list here [ https://www.s4me.info/threads/s4me-...fs-exercise-therapy-review.34973/#post-491234]. If an organisation you are associated with isn't listed there, please ask them to add their name - they can contact us at moderators@s4me.info.

RME Jönköping - Sweden [https://rme.nu/rme-regionforeningar/rme-jonkoping/]

ONG PEM - Spain [https://www.ongpem.org/]

ME Support New Zealand [https://www.mesupport.org.nz/]

LocalME [https://groups.io/g/LocalME]- comprises 52 local support and advocacy groups across the UK as well as outside UK

MillionsMissingHolland [https://www.facebook.com/MillionsMissingHolland/]

Thank you also to David Tuller for his coverage of the campaign [https://virology.ws/2023/10/28/trial-by-error-whats-going-on-with-cochranes-exercise-review-mess/] and to everyone who has signed and shared the petition.

The Science for ME committee

9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you yet again to all who have put in the hard work to try to force progress on something Cochrane have been failing to adequately address for a decade now. Given the Editor in Chief’s current refusal now to even take any responsibility for the failure to progress her own promises of 2020 this must feel like banging your heads against a brick wall.

Generally as a forum we are collectively very aware of what is happening across the ME/CFS world, so I can only assume that this lock down on any information out Cochrane about what has and what is currently happening in relation to the exercise review is a deliberate policy. It appears that Cochrane is strongly resistant to withdrawing the 2019 exercise review, despite their recognition that this update was seriously flawed at the time it was published, and despite the American CDC and the UK’s NICE now drawing the opposite conclusion from their own evidence reviews. This leaves us with the question what on Earth is going on behind Cochrane’s closed doors.

This is such an important issue given researchers, clinicians and service planners continue to cite this flawed review to recommend an intervention known to harm people with ME/CFS and now being seen to harm those with Long Covid who also experience Post Exertional Malaise.

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I could not agree more Peter.

12. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perfect thanks so much @Trish for expressing this all so clearly.

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Laurie P, Amw66, Ash and 8 others like this.
  16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to AfME for promoting the petition again - there's been a noticeable uptick in signature numbers from the UK today.

MEMarge, Laurie P, Amw66 and 14 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

Many thanks to Lost Voices Stiftung for signing the letter and supporting the petition

MEMarge, MeSci, Laurie P and 11 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Great to have CFS/ME Associazione Italiana joining the campaign - the first Italian organisation to sign as a supporter. Grazie, Giada Da Ros.

Thanks also to Sian at the World ME Alliance for her ongoing help to promote the campaign and to connect people.

dave30th, MEMarge, MeSci and 20 others like this.
  20. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed

oldtimer, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.