Petition: S4ME 2023 - Cochrane: Withdraw the harmful 2019 Exercise therapy for CFS review

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Hutan, Sep 4, 2023.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Here are the latest numbers by country - 70 different countries, without counting the UK nations separately:

Arvo, Ash, ahimsa and 19 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

Wow I’m gobsmacked by the spread

Arvo, Ash, Chezboo and 13 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

Many thanks to Steungroep ME en Arbeidsongeschiktheid (Netherlands) who have signed the letter and are supporting the petition

Arvo, MEMarge, Ash and 10 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too!

TBH i (stupidly) never think about people on Caribbean Islands having ME, it just shows you how far the reach goes. I mean i theoretically knew that it was all around the world, but somehow this brings it home to me - the breadth of it.

Arvo, MEMarge, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

An example of why the removal of the 2019 review is so important:

New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (3 edn) published in 2020

Chapter 131 Treatment of fibromyalgia (chronic widespread pain) and chronic fatigue syndrome
    By Jonathan Price
    my bolding and paragraph break.

The chapter author, Jonathan Price, Oxford Uni colleague of Michael Sharpe, is one of the authors of the 2019 Cochrane exercise for CFS review. I can't access the rest of the chapter, but I'm sure the Cochrane review will be listed in the references.

Sharpe has a chapter headed:
    "Deconstructing dualism: The interface between physical and mental illness"
    So that will be banging his usual drum, no doubt.

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for all the hard work still being done, especially in contacting interested patient groups. There must be nearly 100 now supporting our open letter.

Sorry to preach to the converted, but …

Just think that it took a number of years of comments, concerns and complaints through the 2010s to get Cochrane to start any examination of the issues with their then extant CFS Exercise Review, which we were lead to believe would be withdrawn, but ended in only being replaced by the flawed 2019 update. This was undertaken by the previous version’s authors who failed to address many of the previously raised concerns and which Cochrane promised would in turn be replaced in two years by a completely new review, to be produced in the context of an innovative new consultation process. Now four years later that new process has resulted in no consultation at all and no up dates since 2021 on what is planned.

Sadly at least one of the patient advocates, who raised very serious concerns in the 2010s that Cochrane had acknowledged but failed to address has died, in the intervening years.

Since 2019 we have seen the publication of ME/CFS evidence reviews by NICE in the UK and the CDC the USA, both of which draw conclusions diametrically opposed to that of Larun et al. Further we have seen the emergence of Long Covid where in the region of 50% of suffers experience Post Extertional Malaise (PEM) the core symptom of ME/CFS many of whom similarly report deterioration as a result of interventions based on exercise.

However, the flawed 2019 update remains active in the Cochrane Library and has been, according to Google Scholar (see https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=2005&sciodt=0,5&cites=12684092258614883664&scipsc= ), cited 839 times in other scientific papers, including by many articles that in turn have been cited over 1000 times. This includes some 49 articles so far this year, many of which relate to Long Covid. The flawed 2019 review has directly and indirectly impacted on hundreds of thousands of papers world wide.

Cochrane admitted in 2019 that the Larun et al update failed to address the issue of PEM and harms, but in the intervening four years this Exercise Review continues to be used to justify exercise based intervention for ME/CFS, for other conditions correctly or incorrectly seen to be related to ME/CFS and now for Long Covid. Potentially millions of patients world wide are suffering because of this Review, acknowledged to be inadequate at the time of publication.

How many people with ME/CFS and Long Covid will have been harmed or will have died before Cochrane satisfactorily respond to some ten years of comments, concerns and complaints?

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is why they're not retracting it. This is good for Cochrane, at least for now. It's terrible for patients, but it's good for the organization, and clearly this is all they care about.

If you look back at past similar harmful influence that crumbled, say the psychological model of peptic ulcers, no one faced any accountability. It was all very good for the people who influenced bad outcomes, until it just all vanished down the memory hole as if it never happened. No one writes about psychological or psychosomatic ideas about peptic ulcers, even though they used to be THE primary psychosomatic disorder. Not a single lesson was learned, and the exact same cycle of failure is looping around.

They're OK with this, this is who they are and what so-called evidence-based medicine is ultimately about: influence. They are, for all intents and purposes, influencers. Just like on TikTok, but with a lot more power. And, somehow, less accountability. The more they influence, the better they do. Even if it's ultimately bad, the goal is to grow their influence, and they are succeeding at it. The rest, including patient outcomes, is irrelevant.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  10. Hutan

Wow, a great (well, terrible, but useful) bit of information. Thanks Peter.

I'd be surprised if the number of citations is a major reason for Cochrane to retain it. Rather I think it's the fervent belief of people with influence inside Cochrane that the Exercise Review is correct that is a main driver. And maybe some funding is contingent (probably not formally) on the review staying there.

I agree. The model of Cochrane is fundamentally flawed. Relying on people who are motivated to write a review, people who Cochrane does not pay, results in deeply biased reviews. NICE and the CDC still get things wrong, but at least there is the possibility of accountability.

11. Peter Trewhitt

I had been surprised by the extent and reach of the citations, and this not only illustrates how these ideas have unjustified creep into other conditions but also illustrates how deeply engrained they have become in the post viral conditions literature. For me this strengthens how vitally important it is we continue to fight for the withdrawal of the deeply flawed exercise review, however, for what it is worth, I agree with @Hutan that Cochrane’s current intransigence relates not primarily to loss of their own reputation, as their current shenanigans are likely to ultimately cause greater reputational damage than withdrawal of a single review would trigger.

Rather I also suspect that a number of individuals within or connected to Cochrane are fighting for the preservation of exercise therapy as a preferred intervention and for their personal reputations, without regard for the damage this is causing to Cochrane. I feel it is similar to the backlash trying to block the final publication of the NICE guidelines that was undertaken without any concern about undermining the status of the NICE guidelines process.

Amw66, Chezboo, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  12. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any way of seeing how many of the citations are from people who were part of the review itself ie self-citations even if they are part of a different 'group' on each occasion?

alktipping, Nellie, Ash and 6 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Some news about changes in Cochrane's management structures has been moved from this thread to
    News from Cochrane

14. Peter Trewhitt

I thought that was possible, but looking at Google Scholar I can’t see how to do it other than looking at each citation in turn. This could be my ME brain, or it could be that you need to use a different search engine.

bobbler and Ash like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's hard to reconcile that with what Cochrane's leadership is doing, especially the editor-in-chief. They only have the organization's reputation at stake there, they are not personally involved in the outcome of this particular review or research.

It's simply not true that Cochrane has their hands tied because the authors refuse to budge. This is just what they hide behind. The review, from the start, and the failed process, has long met thresholds for major failure.

17. Hutan

Thank you to the Italian organisation Associazione CFS Organizzazione di Volontariato for adding their support to the campaign, and also to Giada for reaching out to them.

Terrific to see a surge in support from France over the past day.

18. NelliePledge

Arvo, SNT Gatchaman, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Many thanks to the US organisation Long Covid Families who have added their name to the list of organisations supporting our campaign and agreed to promote the petition to their members.
    https://longcovidfamilies.org/about-us/

MEMarge, Chezboo, RedFox and 19 others like this.