1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

PIP claimants - email your experiences of the process to Laura Pidcock MP before Westminster debate next Wednesday

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Liv aka Mrs Sowester, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even when they get the details right, they still fix the results. Atos must have been set targets to refuse benefits by the DWP, despite the denials: my assessor actually wrote down everything I told her accurately, which should have given me about eleventy billion points, but then scored me more or less fit :rolleyes:

The report was so outrageous that even the DWP couldn't face taking it to tribunal. They sent it straight back to Atos with a request that they rethink :whistle:

Skycloud, Sean, Esther12 and 13 others like this.
  2. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry for all of you who are struggling to claim these benefits.

What a disgraceful system.

MEMarge, Skycloud, Jan and 12 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It is a deliberate cull. They know exactly what they are doing and the consequences. That is why they do it.

They really are monsters.

MEMarge, Inara, Jan and 7 others like this.
  4. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's the same tactic in the US. It's basically an endurance test. Sick and disgusting.

MEMarge, Indigophoton, Inara and 8 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Same is happening here in Australia.

MEMarge, Indigophoton, Inara and 6 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's not new here in the UK. Back in 2004 I had to go through the appeals process for Incapacity Benefit, as it was called then. The doctor who did the medical seemed really nice and sympathetic, but completely trashed me in the report, writing things that were the opposite of what I said. My official complaint was rejected, it was my word against his.

After an extremely stressful 6 month wait for the appeal, the appeal panel (a doctor and a lawyer) took one look at me drooping on the chair and asked just enough questions to get me the points I needed to get the benefit. They were really kind and concerned.

And yet, last year, expecting the worst, I had a nurse doing the medical for PIP who must have recorded my answers correctly and written an accurate report, as I got the benefit without having to go to appeal. Go figure. I think it largely depends on the integrity of the person carrying out the medical.

Esther12, MEMarge, Forestvon and 11 others like this.
  7. Jan

Jan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So sorry to hear, but sadly not surprised, how badly the experience of applying for PIP has affected you Liv. :hug: It is an inhumane system designed to cut down on the number of claimants. The short time span is particularly cruel, as is the length of the form and the ridiculous questions designed to catch you out particularly if you have a fluctuating illness.

I don't think I've ever completed a DLA or ESA renewal without it causing a relapse. Once you are relying on the income the fear of losing it is very frightening. I take supplements that I know for sure help with some symptoms (L-Carnitine, Vegepa, CoQ10 etc) if I lose my DLA I would not be able to afford them, so my quality of life would suffer hugely.

Last time I had to renew my ESA I paid to see Dr Weir privately, as his word carries a lot of weight in the benefits world. He fights in the courts for many of his patients and has a fearsome reputation for winning. I was living in Sussex then though so he was more accessible. Would it be possible to see if he could send you some supporting evidence, I'm sure you said you saw him in the past?

Sending warm, gentle hugs :hug::hug:, I hope the relapse does not last too long and that it is temporary. The only consolation is that the ESA form is slightly shorter and should be easier after filling in the PIP one.

wastwater, MEMarge, Andy and 9 others like this.
  8. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did this, as follows fyi.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Missense, Arnie Pye, Jan and 13 others like this.
  9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent email @boolybooly.

I have today gone thro' the assessment decision letter and the assessment report and will be typing this up tomorrow. There are over 20 points to be raised on the decision narrative alone.

This, incidentally is typed as one block covering about 1.3 A4 sides. There are not even any paragraphs! She does manage full stops.

We plan to phone on Tues am and cover the major errors/queries on speakerphone so that my friend, her husband and I can all contribute.
    Though tempting, it is unlikely that we will cover all the queries.
    We do not want to be unreasonable, but need to emphasise that we will proceed as far as required.

The full list of queries/contradictions/errors and "How on earth did you reach that conclusion from what was said"/"Do the assessor/decision maker/anyone in your department know anything about ME?" will be included as an attachment to the email to Laura Pidcock MP.

Skycloud, ladycatlover, Andy and 8 others like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If at all possible, I'd record the call too. Easier to do it it's on speakerphone.

Inara, Skycloud, ladycatlover and 6 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's as if the interviews should be formally recorded the same as police interviews, with both parties having a copy of the recording. That's how they got to grips with people's words being twisted by vested interests.

Edit: I see @Invisible Woman got there before me.

Jan, Inara, Indigophoton and 6 others like this.
  12. MEMarge

I've just read on the benefitsandwork.co.uk info that recording of an ESA medical assessment can be requested, which is confusing.

In my info you can ask to record a PIP assessment but only if there is a machine which can produce two identical digital copies at the end of the interview?

No, we did not have one of those available. Maybe each local ME group could club together and loan one out to all PIP claimants in their area. Should cover initial outlay pretty quickly.

13. Invisible Woman

Now, I don't know that this is actually true: they used to say you needed to provide 2 identical tape recordings simultaneously, but I have heard that this is no longer the case. Two simultaneous digital recordings is acceptable. I'll see if I can find out more

ETA: some further enquires - the person saw a program on the BBC a while ago and thinks there might be something about it on a website. Essentially, some test centres were more understanding/lenient than others. Some deliberately tried to stop recordings, some would only allow machines that would record on 2 tapes simultaneously, others would allow 2 tape machines as long as the records buttons on both were pressed simultaneously........

In other words: the usual confusing mess.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Jan, Indigophoton, Skycloud and 6 others like this.
  14. MEMarge

Thank you, @Invisible Woman
    I will try and ascertain the ATOS view from the duty manager on Tues, if he has the stamina to answer all our questions!
    Obviously the priority at this stage is to get back my friend's full mobility allowance, preferably without going to the tribunal stage as it is unnecessary toll on her health and unnecessary expense for taxpayers.

15. Invisible Woman

Be warned, if you tell 'em the call is being recorded they are likely to terminate it. This would definitely go against your friend's best interests, I think.

Yoou could raise it as a question for future reference maybe?

16. MEMarge

Did I say anything about recording? (of telephone call)

eta:clarity

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Invisible Woman likes this.
  17. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I got muddled where I said my appeal was upheld when I should have said allowed, ho hum, have sent a correction :arghh:

18. Invisible Woman

I wouldn't worry about it. I think you did remarkably well, it was a great email :hug:

ETA - good to have corrected the mistake though.

boolybooly, Jan, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  19. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Things are so bad I wonder what would happen if you just did no comment to all the questions (probably rejection for not co operating) you could say you were worried it was going to be unfair and illegal,take months to put right and may kill you so silence was sensible

Inara and MEMarge like this.
  20. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)