1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News about Long Covid including its relationship to ME/CFS 2020 to 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Hip, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I dont know if this has been covered but this looks like the right thread to mention that Dr William Weir has expressed an opinion on longcovid as ME.

https://meassociation.org.uk/wp-con...ome-and-MECFS-by-Dr-William-Weir-09.09.20.pdf

However if one reads the opinion it is clear that he believes ME is an inappropriate immune response without ongoing pathogenic cause.

This is speculative and in my case definitely not true, as I have empirical evidence of recurring virus diagnosed by visible lesions and repeat PCR which I consider conclusive and indisputable evidence my own illness (diagnosed as ME /CFIDS) involves ongoing active viruses. From what I understand I am not alone but this kind of condition may represent only a subgroup of all PWME. It is possible that other PWME may have different kinds of ME.

IMHO I dont believe the perspective he expressed is evidence based and because of my evidence I (constructively) dispute this view and urge caution in making any such assumptions and instead we should regard this as an hypothesis which needs testing, in accord with the scientific method.

Colin, alktipping, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had ME for 30 years. Sudden viral onset and PVFS for 5 years or so. Started improving with no noticeable viruses for 6 years after that. After taking immune modulators in 2001 and relapsing (reactivating HHV6 and EBV), I continue to have reactivations for the last 20 years.

I've had PCR testing when I felt 'viral', but the tests come back negative for several viruses. I also get visible lesions but don't make appt's with my doctor to get tested. and she wouldn't do for me anyways.

I don't think I have 'ongoing viruses' despite reactivations. It's more complex than that, and I feel that my immune system is not keeping them in check. Taking antivirals for years is not going to 'fix' the problem, it can possibly make things worse long term according to Dr. Ron Davis.

My lymphocyte phenotype indicates my CD4, CD8 etc are all below normal range and not functioning properly.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wonder whether it would be possible for you both to be right. That sounds contradictory, but would it be possible for the initiating virus to trigger an abnormal ongoing immune response, like the stuck gramaphone needle, irrespective of whether the virus is still present or not. And for any flare up in active virus activity to be a result, not the cause of downturns in the ME. Otherwise, if the person has continuously active virus, they would surely be diagnosed with unresolved active viral infection, rather than ME/CFS.

4. boolybooly

That is an hypothesis for a different kind of trap, but the gramaphone idea as described by Weir is based on the provably false assumption that virus is no longer present. It is suggested as a way to account for immune activity without a virus, which is a defining characteristic of the hypothesis. So if virus activity is present its not the same situation /hypothesis.

I would also caution that the needle stuck in a rut analogy is shades of Garner and habitual neuroimmune pathways etc.

A competing hypothesis would be that viruses are present but not detected in many PWME due to the limitations of observation methods. I dont think there is any "surely" about it. Virus diagnosis is very hit and miss. People are beginning to acknowledge that virus behaviour includes proliferating in localised refugia in specific tissues, as is being discovered with COVID in relation to ACE expressing cell types like heart and kidneys and lungs and we know next to nothing about any of this.

And by ye olde Occam's razor, it is a less complex hypothesis to consider virus activity could occur in all PWME given that recurring virus is proven to occur in some.

However that does not make it true. It just means that should be the first logical port of call when considering experimental designs.

We have to be very careful about not making any assumptions at all and find out what is really going on.

A third hypothesis and way we could both be right would be that some are stuck in a gramaphone trap and some are not and have a recurring virus trap but per Occam that is more complicated and you have to prove it, not just assume it then speculatively bung a kid in a swimming pool to see if the shock sorts them out.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Mij, Colin, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The biology of a virus is different from every other virus. That's why they're different viruses. Or so people keep saying anyway. Nevermind that the immune system obviously plays a huge role and causes most of the symptoms.

What an odd statement, clearly someone trying to reconcile that post-infectious chronic illness should exist, given LC, but can't possibly be the same as this silly thing that's been trivialized forever. Otherwise the implications... they're really bad. Which, yeah, they are.

Science: both the cause and solution to many cases of doublethink.

inox, Hutan, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  7. Colin

Colin Established Member (Voting Rights)

As someone with a background in the physical sciences (okay, BSc drop-out, due to the bother), and who has always had difficulty in remembering, let alone understanding, the basics of biology, I find it quite amusing that favouring simplicity in biology should be proposed. In physics, they were fond of saying that it is the only real science and that all else is stamp collecting; which I concurred with even after the great stamp collector in the sky stamped all over me. I've become more respectful of complexity since but I'm still routinely appalled by just how complex the human body is. My point is that I'd caution against favouring simplicity, or what appears to be simplicity, just for the sake of it. As you say:
    That said, I'm quite interested in biofilms as resilient refugia. The hypothesis accords more with Blore's Razor in that it being possible for the enormous, proud, complexity of the human being and all the co-operative mechanisms that humanity has developed to be brought low by a little citadel of complicated, pond scum, by a political arrangement between the biological kingdoms, as it were, would be pretty funny; funnier than the cause being some, simple, little, design error.

8. boolybooly

Well, we are crawling out of the dark ages on a lot of fronts, in a few hundred years I am sure people will look back at this time and laugh or recoil in horror, or both, just as we do when contemplating the superstition and barbarism of the past, either that or the bacteria will be in charge... again. And I hope to goodness noone actually designed this shambles, that would be a fairly hefty class action lawsuit in the making right there.

For the time being I am just concerned that some clinicians look at PWME without distinct viral symptoms and assume the virus has passed and been resolved because that is what they are used to seeing happen in other people. I am just saying that I dont think that is a safe assumption to make, given my own experiences.

9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Evolving Phenotypes of non-hospitalized Patients that Indicate Long Covid
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.25.21255923v1

Covid-19 led to an increased risk for #ChronicFatigueSyndrome.
    One of the more rigourous #LongCovid studies e.g. had a control group.
    An easier-to-read article on the paper, "Most long COVID-19 sequelae affect people under 65, finds study"
    https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...uelae-affect-people-under-65-finds-study.aspx
    #MEcfs #CFS
    Thread about the published paper:
    Evolving phenotypes of non-hospitalized patients that indicate long COVID, 2021, Estiri et al

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2022
    Hutan, Snow Leopard, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  10. rvallee

I basically view the ME-BPS model as the medical equivalent of classical mechanics textbook examples of the like: suppose a cow is a spherical object of uniform density. Which for the simple mechanics of inertia mostly works, at least for F=ma and balistics trajectories.

Except it's actually serious. Simplification is useful. Oversimplification isn't.

11. rvallee

Equal parts pertinent and infuriating article. It truly depicts two incompatible realities, one in which the patients know what they are talking about and the experts are incapable of listening to the point where they can't stop themselves from asserting that the very thing that makes people ill is what should cure them.

I think it did a good job of reporting two viewpoints without taking a position and letting the facts and arguments speak for themselves. The quoted medical professionals are completely clueless and clearly incapable of learning from experience or listening to patients.

And it shows a rare understanding of the widespread implications of millions of people being personally subjected to blatant medical incompetence and gaslighting and how it destroys trust in a system that is supposed to be based on trust and competence.

Jane and her son went to see a new pediatrician, showing him the daily journal they had kept of her son’s ongoing symptoms. Yet the doctor — as Gemma, Eliza, and Rachel also experienced when seeking care for their children — said that the cause was likely “psychological.”

This experience, Jane told MNT, “profoundly […] affected [her] trust in the medical profession.”

Jane also sought the opinion of another pediatric neurologist and a pulmonologist. However, their diagnoses and ensuing prescriptions did not help with her son’s symptoms and, in some cases, even made them worse.

“I am untrained in medicine, yet I feel that I’ve not only been on my own to try to diagnose and treat my son, but that I’ve actually been misled by several of the doctors we saw, and given [medications] on two occasions which exacerbated [my son’s] symptoms,” she went on to say.

“After these negative experiences with medications, along with the many blood tests, imaging, etc., my son has suffered medical trauma,” Jane added.​

Also from the description, MIS-C is clearly basically ME. Or PVFS, whatever.

Long COVID in children: Personal and expert perspectives

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/long-covid-and-children-the-unseen-casualties-of-covid-19

Joh, Hutan, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  12. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

who exactly wants to use cows as projectile weapons . there are some strange people in physics .

Wilhelmina Jenkins and Wonko like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Simbindi, Michelle, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  14. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i get the angry birds reference but have no knowledge of a game that flings cows about via catapults . made me laugh thanks wonko.

Simbindi, Mithriel and Wonko like this.
  15. Colin

Colin Established Member (Voting Rights)

16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CTV News Canada: Some COVID-19 long-haulers are developing a 'devastating' syndrome

quote:
    “I’ve heard people say, ‘long COVID isn’t ME/CFS.’ Well, they don't understand what ME/CFS is, right? The case definition of ME/CFS describes the clinical presentation. And if people with long COVID meet the ME/CFS criteria, that’s ME/CFS,” she said during a telephone interview with CTVNews.ca last week.

Moreau is also studying COVID-19 patients who have developed ME/CFS. He said that experts know that more than 80 per cent of people with ME/CFS developed the disease after they had a viral infection such as the flu, mononucleosis primarily caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), or a bacterial infection, such as Lyme disease.

He said they also know from past studies that other coronaviruses, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), can lead to ME/CFS so it makes sense that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could have the same effect.

It’s a worrying prospect for both Moreau and Bateman."

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2021
    lycaena, Hutan, Simbindi and 12 others like this.
  17. rvallee

The entire point of the BPS ideology is to keep people out of medical care. Apparently some health care professionals are surprised that people who are deliberately mistreated, for the purpose of making it clear that they should not be using health care services, stop using those services. Which is the whole point to begin with. Mass gaslighting leads to people staying away.

It works very well. It keeps sick people out of the health care system. Out of sight, out of mind. Perverse incentives lead to perverse outcomes.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1390209445192425478

merylg, EzzieD, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. rvallee

The EU executive is apparently pushing for €95M to fund demographic studies and trials with the purpose of having 5 effective treatments for Long Covid by the end of the year.

That's adorable. Sounds a lot like that computer science professor who tasked a single PhD student in the 60's or 70's to solve the problem of computer vision over their summer break, which is still unsolved to this day.

https://www.nicematin.com/sante/cov...r-5-nouveaux-traitements-dici-fin-2021-680908

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.nicematin.com/sante/covid-long-lue-veut-avoir-5-nouveaux-traitements-dici-fin-2021-680908

Mithriel, geminiqry, Sean and 7 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But if we have no idea how to treat Long Covid surely there is no point in sending people to Lung Physios who want to be kept busy? I cannot think of anything aLung Physio could help with in this situation.

merylg, tmrw, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.