1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Exertional Malaise Is Associated with Hypermetabolism, Hypoacetylation and Purine Metabolism Deregulation in ME/CFS Cases, 2019, McGregor et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Maria1

Maria1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for this info @Kitty.

It sounds like I’ve been taking them differently to you.

I started out on a daily dose as per the bottle, which was 2 tablets. Weirdly I felt too wired and I reduced the dosage to half. I was taking this as well as a vegan protein shake and I really felt it made me feel more ‘normal’ and able to get through the daily tasks without too much trouble.

In fact I was feeling so ‘normal’ I went to a wedding, drank a bucket full of rum punch and danced all night. Then I went home, vomited, had a dreadful hangover and I haven’t felt alright since! That was 5 weeks ago.

I think I’m just in a bad crash but I haven’t actually had one for a long time.

All the best and thanks again

Kitty, MeSci, andypants and 3 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were a few threads re BCAAs at the other place.
    Many used them for "PEM busting ability"

Kitty, Maria1, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lordy, I don't even understand the basics presented in that thread. I'm glad they took the time to do this, though.

What does this bit mean? In the 3rd tweet in the thread:

Is this referring to the patient's activity (i.e. pacing), or is it referring to activity in bodily systems that we don't really have any control over?

Kitty and Andy like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It is attempting to stay below the anaerobic threshold as advised by Workwell by keeping any exertion short in duration.

mat, Mithriel, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  6. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you!

Kitty and Andy like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

May be a ridiculous question but If the purine metabolite is reduced does that mean there’s also more purine still going round in the system? On my postage stamp understanding it is the purine that causes the problems & pain in gout. Could this be causing pain in ME.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Kitty likes this.
  8. mat

mat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to reopen the discussion on this study because it shows more significance than usual CFS studies thanks to their PEM differentiation.

As a first note, there might be a measurement bias regarding the measured purine metabolites in the urine. Here are two quotes from their original study that has been published in 2015 (10.1007/s11306-015-0816-5). The new study used the same collection methods.

They should have switched to 24h urine since this is the only other way of normalization that allows a total quantification with blood levels. I don't think that hyperfiltration is untypical for CFS, so this is a general issue when CFS studies try to analyze single urine samples. The only value of the result is the concentration relative to each other.

Marky, andypants and Mithriel like this.
  9. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an interesting paper and thread!

This seems to have been a retrospective analysis of data they had gathered over previous years.
    This is the talk Neil McGregor gave in 2019 at the Australian ME/CFS Conference. Worth listening to if you have not already. The paper was published shortly after.
    https://mecfsconference.org.au/videos/neil-mcgregor/

andypants, Michelle, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  10. wigglethemouse

andypants, Michelle, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  11. mat

mat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mistakenly assumed that the second study referred to an extended sample set and that the first one was on data from 2010 only by how they mentioned "second urine sample" and "first specimens".

I'll eventually read these papers and come back with some more information and references. Especially the comments here drew my attention and I'd like to elaborate on some of them. At least some of the open questions I could explain by data that has recently been published and would fit into my COMT hypothesis. Where I'm still not sure how the altered lipid metabolism fits into this.

For mannitol in particular, I can think of three possibilities at the moment. It interacts with the fructose metabolism. One possibility would hence by an aldolase defect, which also affects glycolysis, ATP recycling, and phosphorylation severely, as well as it fits into the emerging Diabetes 3 hypothesis, which basically classifies diseases of glycolysis-dependant neuropathy (in my words). If this was the case, and the aldolase defect was hereditary, the DecodeME study could identify it. If this was the case, it's probably not a critical hereditary disease like HFI but rather like hereditary lactose intolerance - a silent condition that requires certain triggers like an infection and if untreated will still become more and more severe. Unknown compound heterozygote mutations are difficult to filter and identify, though. It could be overlooked in a study because not every patient will have the same mutations.

A second explanation would be that it is the overburdening of glycolysis that also overburdens the fructose metabolism indirectly by their shared metabolic pathways. I have to look into this one first to confirm the possibility.

The third explanation fits into my COMT/methylation hypothesis where NADPH-cycle-dysbalance is induced in multiple ways. Previous research has already linked this with xanthine oxidase as well, which was one point previously mentioned here (10.1096/fasebj.26.1_supplement.678.10). But I still have to look into this one. Specific immunological signals can affect xanthine oxidase to create ROS, which normally is a physiological reaction (10.1155/2016/3527579). Overall, the sample size of NADs in CFS patients is quite limited unlike the data around the methionine metabolism.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    andypants, wigglethemouse and Amw66 like this.
  12. wigglethemouse

Mij, Andy and Amw66 like this.
  13. wigglethemouse

Michelle, Amw66, Mij and 3 others like this.