1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Presidential election RCGP

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Estherbot, May 21, 2019.

1. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Royal College of General Practioners (RCGP) is having its Presidential election soon.

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/about-us/ne...s-seven-candidates-for-college-president.aspx

There are 7 candidates...

Could we canvas & lobby the the candidates for their views on matters such as...?

• NICE guidelines
    • PACE
    • CBT/GET etc

GPs are the first medical professionals PWME will typically meet seeking a diagnosis & treatment.

Simon Wessely's wife Clare Gareda has been an influential member of the RCGP and its attitude towards the illness.

2. Estherbot

The 7 candidates are

• Professor Rodger Charlton: Professor of Undergraduate Primary Care at the University of Leicester and GP partner and trainer in Solihull
    • Dr John Chisholm: RCGP nationally-elected Council Member, Deputy Chair of the RCGP Trustee Board and Vice President of the BMA
    • Dr Sunil Gupta: RCGP Council Member, MRCGP examiner, GP trainer and GP in Essex
    • Professor Amanda Howe: Immediate past-President of the World Organisation of Family Doctors (WONCA), Professor of Primary Care at the University of East Anglia and RCGP East Anglia Faculty Provost
    • Professor Roger Jones: Editor of the British Journal of General Practice (BJGP) and Emeritus Professor of General Practice at Kings College London
    • Dr Imran Rafi: former Medical Director of the RCGP's Clinical Innovation and Research Centre (CIRC), Senior Lecturer in Primary Care Education at St George's University of London and GP in Surrey
    • Dr Carter Singh: GP partner in Nottinghamshire, RCGP Vale of Trent Faculty Board Member, Nottinghamshire Local Medical Committee member

Maybe we could canvas their opinions via email or social media

3. Estherbot

Esther12 likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see any mechanism by which S4ME can later the outcome of the election - none of us will vote. So maybe the sensible thing is to lobby the winner?

Presidents of Royal Colleges are generally also ran doctors who for some reason like important sounding titles. I would not expect any of them to have any vision. Pretty much like the House of Commons I suppose.

The GP situation may even be a bit like Brexit. The sensible thing would be for GOPs too violet to abolish primary care and become part of a unified hospital based system for most of the country. That is what is happening in reality (GP numbers falling) and for good reason. Proper care needs hospital facilities.

obeat and DokaGirl like this.
  5. Estherbot

@Jonathan Edwards I'm aware of your views on the Royal Colleges.:)

We're not going to agree on this.... Your scepticism is not going to put me off.

It won't stop me emailing the candidates with the same questions & publish the answers.(in the style of @dave30th )

There is also likely to be a hustings of some kind, so I'll see if a question could be submitted.

Don't worry I won't risk excessive PEM, pacing as always. :)

Nothing ventured... Nothing gained.

ProudActivist and NelliePledge like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I very much doubt there is any sort of hustings. People put their names forward and ballot papers are circulated to members - at least that is all I have ever come across for RCP.

7. Estherbot

As you say, your experience of the RCP, not RCGP :)

I'll check with my contact who is a member of the RCGP.

ProudActivist likes this.
  8. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

I think a background check would be of significanse here? We do not know who we are dealing with here.