1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Red-brown speckles on palm of hands and fingers

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Dechi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About 9 months ago, I started having those little brownish-red speckles on the palm of my hands and inside of my fingers. I showed it to 2 doctors but they thought nothing of it.

At first I had only one. I thought I had a little scratch. I removed it and a few others came back. Now I have a lot and they are starting to form clutters.

I am wondering if it’s an auto-immune response ! And if so. To what ?

I’m a little worried. Anyone has an idea ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You say you removed it - does that mean it's just on the surface of the skin? I have no idea what it could be.

Dechi likes this.
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I have exactly the same. They come and they go. My doctor told me they appear during times of stress. I think that means he doesn't know what they are.

But really, my fingertips look exactly the same as that.

Dechi likes this.
  4. Dechi

It looks like it. I took a needle and just took off the first layer of skin (very thin, no bleeding) and it came off. Then others grew other places.

5. Dechi

Ha Ha Ha, you made me laugh. I hate it when doctors pretend it’s nothing. It’s not nothing. Our bodies are reactimg to some trigger, but which one ?

I’ve seen the same thing happening to people who are in contact with silver nitrate, but I am not.

I do have a lot of stress at the moment. Maybe the immune system overreacting to stress ?

Hutan and TiredSam like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you been handling any materials that might be considered corrosive? This webpage discusses something that looks very similar (see image below) and it turned out to be from handling a jar containing corrosive silver nitrate. Another possible source of silver nitrate might be from the tips of wart removal sticks that use silver nitrate (see below), but I suppose other corrosives might do the same thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dechi and TiredSam like this.
  7. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It might be minor spontaneous micro-bruising. Nothing to be alarmed about. It may happen if you are on blood thinner but also for other reasons or no reasons at all.

TiredSam, Dechi and Forbin like this.
  8. Dechi

I don't see what I would have been touching that has silver nitrate but I guess you never know. :)

Forbin likes this.
  9. Dechi

I take nimotop which increases blood Flow to the brain and also preventive aspirin. Maybe one of these two?

Milo likes this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It could be anything that is corrosive, like cleaning chemicals. If so, I'd think it would have to be a fine powder or mist to cause little dots like that.

I'm virtually certain I've seen this on my own hands, but, dang it, I can't recall what caused it. :banghead: :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    TiredSam likes this.
  11. Milo

Bingo! Both of these meds can cause bruising. I would not worry too much unless you have excessive and apparent bruising everywhere.

TiredSam and Dechi like this.
  12. Dechi

I do have other bruises. I have always bruised easily. Do you have the same issue ?

13. Milo

I did have bruising while on Aspirin following each of my surgeries. i am not on Nimodipime but i looked up the side effects and bruising is one of them.

Dechi likes this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These look like tiny micro-infarcts or micro-haemorrhages. If they come away without causing bleeding they must be in the epidermis - the outer layer of keratin forming cells. Micro-haemorrhages from low platelet count or just fragile skin (worse with steroids, ageing) are not in the epidermis. What I think is happening is that individual tiny capillaries are breaking up right at the skin surface and a tiny amount of blood pigment is leaking into the epidermis.

The pattern in the photos is not something I have seen before. That suggests that it is not a sign of any well known disease but it is a bit puzzling. i would be interested to know if there are any marks like this in the cuticles around the nails, where they can be helpful diagnostic clues.

hyoomen, Marky, Dechi and 2 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

I have three such speckles on my forefinger this morning. I was about to take a photo and upload it, then I realised I would be putting a photo from which my fingerprint could be extracted on the internet so chickened out.

Nothing in the cuticles around the nails. They come, stay a while (few days, weeks) then disappear without trace. Then return again at some point in the future. Only started within the last couple of years. They seem to be just under the surface. The surface feels a little rough and bumpy, but not one bump per speckle or related to the exact location of the individual speckles. As if there are tiny blisters or a rash on the surface, but barely visible, over the area where the speckles appear.

Dechi and andypants like this.
  16. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had spots similar to the OP on the fingers, though not in the same quantity. I have also had vertical splinter haemorrhages in the nails, but again its sporadic so I thought perhaps just a result of trauma. That said I have also seen a change in nail appearance, vertical ridges, horizontal bumps and pitting on one or two nails.

I would love to know what that might tell me but it always seems to be a spread of mild issues rather than one dominant feature.

Hutan and andypants like this.
  17. TiredSam

Allow me to present ...

finger.jpg

Dechi, Hutan and Wonko like this.
  18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

oh I've got them, in as much as I gave is any thought I assumed everyone did.

Prior to thinking that I assumed that they were from my blood glucose testing but I've also got them in other places, that I know I've never used as test sites, so that initial assumption is probably incorrect.

They is probably just 'things'.

Dechi, Hutan and TiredSam like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So there are six, in various stages of development. I am intrigued. I don't have these and I have most sorts of cutaneous disfigurement.

Dechi, Hutan and TiredSam like this.
  20. TiredSam

When they started to appear I was intrigued also, but I couldn't find anything by googling, and my skin doctor (who I see every six months since I had a basaliom removed) said "I don't know". I paraphrase, what he actually said was "blah blah stress blah blah".
    Just fingertips for me. Might have noticed a couple on the palm of my hand when it started, but not since then. Only my right hand too, which is odd because I'm left-handed so if it was to do with anything I've been touching or holding I'd expect to see them on my left hand. Can't think of anything I use only my right hand for, except for stirring my stocks of silver nitrate of course.

TakMak, Dechi, Forbin and 1 other person like this.