1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Red-brown speckles on palm of hands and fingers

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Dechi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Keebird

Keebird Established Member (Voting Rights)

I get the tiny blisters followed by red/brown speckles on the sides of my fingers, palms, and bottoms of my feet. They always appear as I’m coming out of a crash. After a week or so, the affected areas become slightly scaly and itchy. The first few times the blisters were very tiny so the speckles were much more noticeable. I suspect it’s dyshydrotic eczema in my case. The allergist agreed, although I did not have any spots for him to examine while in his office.

Forbin, andypants and Dechi like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well here's an interesting business - same finger, a few days later:

upload_2018-7-26_12-45-52.png

They appear to be rising to the surface. The one on the right is still under the skin with halo. The middle one is on the surface. The one on the left has I suspect broken through, and the bigger crater above is where 2 were before (visible on previous image) so it looks like they've risen to the surface and broken through. My finger seems to be emitting small bodies with haloes which get brighter as they rise. I suspect a miracle of some sort.

EDIT: corrected "right" to "left". I don't do right and left, never really understood the concept or why anyone would want to.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Keebird, Indigophoton, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  3. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@TiredSam I am curious to know how you’ve compensated for not distinguishing left and right ? And if you don’t find the concept necessary, how would you efficiently convey informations that are pertaining to that concept ?

I just moved and had to rewire my home cinema and hi-fi stereo. That’s just one example of left and right being crucial.

Indigophoton, Trish and TiredSam like this.
  4. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unhelpful illness beliefs perhaps?

5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I'm afraid I haven't, it just keeps causing problems all the time, and I haven't found a solution.
    Again, I'm afraid I don't. I say left when I mean right, right when I mean left, or sometimes get lucky and pick the right one. The person I'm giving directions to turns right and is surprised to find me getting annoyed and saying "I said turn right" in a peeved voice. We then have the "but I did turn right" conversation.

If I stop and think for a very long time I can usually work it out, but that's no guarantee. In Germany they have the traffic rule "right before left" in very quiet streets, so when I drive out of our housing area if there's a car coming from the right I have to give way. I could never remember who was supposed to go first, remembering "right before left" was no help because it meant nothing to me. I now cope by braking hard if someone is about to crash into my passenger side door (and it's always the passenger side door they go for - no-one's ever tried to ram me on the driver's side. Don't know why, must be a German thing). I can distinguish between passenger side and driver's side because the driver's side has got a bloody great steering wheel on it and it's the seat I'm in if I'm on my own and the car is moving.

I could fill this thread with countless hilarious examples of where it's nearly cost me or someone else their life or caused great inconvenience.

It's not that I don't find the concept unnecessary, I just find it really annoying and wouldn't miss it at all. I'm sure if people around you kept breaking into Chinese and expecting you to understand what they were talking about you wouldn't mind if they stopped either. As for a home cinema, I don't have one. If I did, I'd ponder over the set-up manual for a very long time. I once assembled a table-football for my kids, it had to be assembled upside down, then when finished you turned it over and played with it. When I turned it over all the blue players were facing the blue goal and all the red players were facing the red goal. Took me two hours to take it all apart and put it together again (because of course fitting the player rods in was one of the first steps, following which you spent ages assembling the rest of it, which then all had to be disassembled so I could get to the rods again and turn them round).

Forbin, Indigophoton, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personally I would have been tempted to swap the goals over, paint them both white, or institute house rules, such thins are, after all, just a point of view, literally, and who is to say that you're wrong :grumpy:

Indigophoton, Hutan, Dechi and 2 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to climb with someone who said he couldn't distinguish left and right and consequently wore different coloured socks. Advice from me, safely ensconced as the second on the rope, had to be given in terms of the colour of the sock.

Sarah94, Indigophoton, Dechi and 3 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I distinguish left and right by imagining myself picking up a pen (or anything else). I am so strongly left handed that I never fail to pick the correct hand.

Indigophoton, Dechi and TiredSam like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole of the epidermis is made up of cells that are constantly making their way to the surface of the skin, so the spots may just be along for the ride. It takes about 7 weeks for the cells to move from the bottom to the top layer (it might take longer on the hands because there is an addition layer in the palms and soles - or it might be the same due to more "wear" on the hands and feet).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermis#Cell_division

[ ETA: When I google "blisters with brown dots/spots" there seems to be a fair number of people reporting the same thing - tiny brown dots accompanied by blisters on the hands/fingers. The blisters sound like dyshydrosis. Of course, you can google anything and get some kind of result. ]

Indigophoton, TiredSam and Trish like this.
  10. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

«No, no, no, your other right

Back to the topic at hand (haha) - I also get the tiny blisters below the skin like @Keebird describes. No brown spots, other than the one billion freckles :woot:

11. Dechi

@TiredSam I guess it’s like me having no sense of direction at all. When I stop for directions, if people tell me to go north, I don’t know where to go. Sometimes I just pretend I get it, leave and find someone else to explain.

This is not dangerous but very, very annoying.

Keebird, Trish and TiredSam like this.
  12. Forbin

I have trouble with right and left when giving directions, but I know which is which internally. I blame years of daily group recitations of the US Pledge of the Allegiance in primary school. The teacher would always begin with "Right hand over heart. Ready. Begin." I think this somehow formed a connection between the word "right" and the placing of my hand on the left side of my chest. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

On the other hand (no pun intended), this article claims that "a significant proportion of our population has difficulty in telling right from left."

Keebird, Dechi, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  13. cargova

cargova New Member

I have exact same dots as @Dechi describes on my palm. Halo and everything. I think the halo might be before they turn into the brown dot. I do believe they appear more in times of stress. Just bumping this in case anyone has figured this out.

Attached Files:

TiredSam likes this.
  14. Dechi

@cargova wow, they do look exactly like mine ! Is this a picture of the palm of your hand ? Did you have them for a long time and do they disappear/reappear ?

15. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

you also have small bumps in the palm ?
    (on the pic it looks so, above the brown spot)

16. Lagertha

Lagertha New Member

I have a similar spot on my left palm. It's been over weeks and seems like it got slightly bigger. I work in a lab too and wear gloves all the time. I was curious so went and took a picture of it today under the microscope and it looks like a burn with roots just under the skin.

Attached Files:

ladycatlover, Dechi and andypants like this.
  17. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pictures in post 1 and post 6 look like a condition I've had before, and I remember my mother had it too (much worse than me).

In both cases it arose as a result of mild trauma - and on the worst occasion we were preparing a mountain of carrots for freezing (peeling, slicing, blanching(?) and bagging, as far as I remember). My mother was a keen gardener and had those speckles often, particularly as she got older and her skin became more fragile and dry.

ladycatlover and Dechi like this.
  18. Dechi

Interesting hypothesis, thank you ! I will try and remember next what I did before new ones appear. It could indeed be from cutting vegetables or other, although I really don’t do it often, because it hurts.

Arnie Pye and ladycatlover like this.
  19. Forbin

Come to think of it, when I had dyshidrosis as a teen, some of the smaller blisters would often merge into a larger blister. The larger surface of the resulting blister was thin enough to be transparent. Since they were filled with clear liquid, you could use a magnifying glass to look inside the blister.

The odd thing I remember now is that there was often a very tiny red/brown "dot" seemingly suspended in the center of the blister, like it was the "nucleus" or the "seed" of the blister. I don't known if those dots have anything in common to the red/brown "dots" mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but it kind of makes me wonder if the blisters I had were an attempt by the immune system to isolate the "dots" inside them.

On the other hand, the "dots" might have just been some skin pigment caught in the blister as it formed - though they always seemed to be in the center of the blister.

Dechi likes this.
  20. Dechi

I think yours is a different type if « dots » but it’s interesting !