1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Red-brown speckles on palm of hands and fingers

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Dechi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, fingertips, by other places I meant fingers I hadn't used as BG test sites.
    As I suggested above I had pretty much assumed they were "just one of those things", that occurs with aging - not inspecting strangers fingers that closely on a regular basis tends to that sort of conclusion about a lot of things.

TiredSam likes this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well until I find an explanation it remains "just one of those things" for me too.

Wonko likes this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You should be more cautious when preparing your tintypes.

[​IMG]

TiredSam and Wonko like this.
  4. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards thank you for shedding some light on this. I don’t have any around the cuticles. They seem to be exclusively on the inside of the hand. I do have nail fungus though that I am trying to get rid of with Jublia (but the speckles started before the Jublia came along). I’ve had the nail fungus for more than 20 years, so it would be odd to start spreading now (and I don’t think nail fungus spreads to skin anyways).

I do have low white blood cells though. Borderline low, the last two times I had blood taken. My GP wants another blood work in a few weeks (she wanted to control 2 months after my last blood check).

The last few weeks they have started spreading faster. I had only a few for a long time, but now there’s probably more than a hundred. I’ve started having a lot of dizziness lately. Mind you I’ve been doing renos (managing) and then moving, which has been really hard on me. I’ve had to push through and I’m not pacing like I should. The dizziness and malaise is so bad I have to sit and lie down on the floor many times a day. It’s difficult to stand and walk when it happens. I don’t know if this is all linked or not.

Wonko, Hutan and TiredSam like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@TiredSam I had the exact same thing for years. Hardened flat vesicles just under the skin, filled with liquid. Not painful. Mainly on fingers and a few on the palm of the hand as well. Mine were less dark though.

Dechi, Wonko, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Curiouser and curiouser.

The interesting thing about the spots on @TiredSam's photo is that there is a slight pale halo around them. That indicates that they are not just tiny haemorrhages. They involve some sort of mediator release as in inflammation.

And I wonder if that nail fungus is really fungus @Dechi? Could it be a nail dystrophy as seen in Reiter's or psoriasis?

The one thing that intrigues me is that various clues make me think of something called keratoderma or KB. KB marks are usually larger and slightly raised but occur on the palm and sole. They are due to T cells.

Edit: Sam did say his were slightly raised I see.
    I think if there are actual vesicles, as @strategist mentions, the problem is more likely to be a variant of eczema called pompholyx.

andypants, Dechi, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  7. Hoopoe

Googling for that led me to this image on Wikipedia which is pretty close. I just didn't have a many blisters, and they were not raised much if at all. So seen from the side, the blisters in the picture look different, but seen from top they look identical.

Finger_Pompholyx_1.tif.jpg

andypants, Wonko and Forbin like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Sorry I probably wasn't too clear. I don't have blisters as in @strategist's photo, I have brown speckles just under the skin, which do not cause the surface to raise or blister. Neither do they rise to the surface, they just hang around where they are, appearing and disappearing.

I also tried to describe what was happening on the surface of the skin above these speckles. Not much, but it feels a bit rougher than usual sometimes, as if there is a micro rash or blisters there, but there's nothing to see really, it's just how it feels when I run another finger over it.

EDIT: and it's not like that now, all smooth and correct above surface.

Marky, Wonko and Forbin like this.
  9. Forbin

As a teenager, probably up to about age 20, I had the blisters seen in @strategist's photo (though mostly larger and fewer in number). It was generally between the fingers, but sometimes it was on the palms (both hands) as well (where it was flatter and deeper under the skin).

I assume this is what is known as "dyshydrosis" (aka dyshidrotic eczema, or pompholyx eczema). In fact, the photo in @strategists post can be found on the Wikipedia page on dydhydrosis.

Much more rarely, it would show up on my feet. It could be pretty widespread on my hands as a teenager. As an adult, I have only had isolated and much more limited recurrences of it on rare occasions.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Keebird, Wonko, Hoopoe and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also have these, they come and go, but rarely go completely, had them for a long time, over a decade. I had associated them getting worse/spreading with general deterioration of my condition.

Before anyone puts up another photo of something different I would then post saying I have the main other skin thing I have had is hard tiny white spots, start off as one or 2 and then proliferate, and die back after a while, mainly on hands and feet. The only thing that I have noticed shifts them is carbamazepine (clears them up overnight). They come back every few years.

Hutan and TiredSam like this.
  11. Dechi

@Jonathan Edwards I will check into nail distrophy, I have never heard of that ! I have the supposed fungus on my toe nails also. I didn’t mention I have vitiligo that comes and goes on some spots, and permanent on others. Not severe.

Was the part about at-cells for me or Tiredsam, or both ? :)

12. Jonathan Edwards

I cannot see the detail of your spots quite so well. They look a little different but may be the same thing.

13. Dechi

hyoomen likes this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

yes, I don't see pale rings but that may only happen early on.

15. Forbin

FWIW, I have similar red/brown dots (see below) that reach from my ankles to about midway up my calves. The "freckling" is actually staining of the skin left over from previous dots. This started when I was about 40 and has nothing to do with sun exposure.

It might be a benign form of capillaritis called "Shamberg's disease," which principally affects the lower legs but can occasionally be seen elsewhere, including the hands.

[ I don't recommend doing an image search for "Shamberg's disease" because Google will mainly come up with a lot of disturbing images of other, more serious, forms of capillaritis. ]

123.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Dechi likes this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

This is gravitational purpura, which is common and benign. I think Shamberg's disease is a bit of an overkill diagnosis, although there may be a few people who have it rather markedly rather young. It mostly occurs over 40.

The reason for getting these spots on the legs is hydrostatic pressure in capillaries. The puzzling thing about the spots on the palms is that they do not fit with anything as simple as that.

Dechi and Forbin like this.
  17. Dechi

I went to see the pharmacist and ask if it could be from Aspirin or Nimotop. She didn’t think so amd said I should continue Aspirin. I take it in prevention because of a transcien cérébral ischemia the doctors think I had about 5 years ago.

Now I’m afraid to take Aspirin, and I’m afraid not to take it... :-(

18. Jonathan Edwards

Those spots are not a reason not to take aspirin, to my mind. Even if aspirin made them easier to form they are not doing any harm.

Dechi, Indigophoton and Trish like this.
  19. Hoopoe

I'm a bit disappointed that this thread has not yet yielded any grand theories on how all these skin problems tie into ME. :D

I'm joking. Skin problems are fairly common aren't they?

Dechi and Wonko like this.
  20. Dechi

I noticed they’re not only on the palm of my hands. They’re on the I side of my arms too. And probably other places, except I can’t see well enough to tell.