1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Research news from Bhupesh Prusty

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sarah94, Feb 1, 2020.

1. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's a positive sign he's not throwing out findings on twitter anymore, looking to find funding from institutional sources and testing against similar illnesses. As for his reasearch, I don't know enough to say if it excites me or not.

2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The virus reactivation I'm skeptical of, but the first publish then discuss approach seems to me to be the right one.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may depend on what is meant by viral reactivation. Full-blown bursting-out-of-cells so the bloodstream can carry it all over? Very likely not. But before viruses can do they must first replicate within cells. In the acute phase, the replication is probably happening without enough defenses to control it and so it reaches that critical intracellular threshold that tells it it's time to attack. Here it may be doing that but with defenses in place, kept in check but at a cost to the organism, a controlled stalemate which can cause symptoms depending on where it is happening. It does not reach that critical level that triggers the signal to burst out and go hog-wild into neighboring cells, but virions are not stable, they won't stay intact indefinitely. If a virus is latent, it must have some ability to replicate minimally, ideally on its way to reach critical mass, but unable because intracellular defenses are able to keep in check.

We know viruses can live for years within cells. They must have that ability to slowly replicate, likely itself an adaptation to avoid triggering the immune system.

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards

Aren't these antibodies found in normal individuals too? Is there a genetic factor?

I remember when I was thrilled to find out that my lymphocyte immune markers were 'abnormal', only to discover that abnormalities are genetically controlled.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ad/2012/189096/

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe Viking HLA genes are different??

10. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1362572697968992256

"The first grant that came our way last week is funded by ME Research UK. I am so excited to get this support from Scotland. Scotland always remains in my heart. Beautiful place and lovely people. Was planning to go back in 2020 but couldn’t happen. Hope for next year."

Amw66, Milo, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Google translation, https://translate.google.com/transl...long-covid-auf-der-suche-nach-den-ausloesern/, from this original link, https://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/aktuel...long-covid-auf-der-suche-nach-den-ausloesern/

"Lots of money from two foundations

Whether this is actually the case: Prusty will be able to research it with particular vigor in the years to come. Two foundations provide him with a lot of money: Prusty receives a total of 900,000 US dollars - the equivalent of around 750,000 euros - from the Amar Foundation. The US charity is funding Prusty's work on SARS-CoV-2, the origin of chronic fatigue syndrome and mitochondrial dysfunction in ME / CFS.

A British foundation is supporting Prusty's work in the same area with around £ 200,000 - the equivalent of a little over 240,000 euros: ME Research UK, an organization that aims to “provide high quality scientific research into causes, consequences and treatment commission and finance myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome ”."

ukxmrv, Hutan, brf and 23 others like this.
  13. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, sebaaa, cfsandmore and 6 others like this.
  15. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, cfsandmore and Ariel like this.
  17. tmrw

tmrw Established Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, diwa, Lisa108 and 5 others like this.
  18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I had a look at the Würzburg clinic website. There's a lot about cancer patients and the fatigue they have, and also a lot about palliative care. In the absence of further information and speculating optimistically, hopefully they are referring to palliative care.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)