The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I guess you will only be allowed one question, and the chances of getting your question picked from a lot of questions would be pretty small. I suggest you just leave it here and see whether anyone else makes a suggestion.

Alternatively you could click the 'contact moderators' button on your post and ask moderators to use your post to start a new thread, if you want to start a forum discussion about it.

MSEsperanza, ladycatlover and Andy like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Steven Holgate may speak for himself but I don't think he can say Covid-19caught us all by surprise. A lot of people with expertise in the field, as well as a lot with general medical knowledge, were entirely expecting it. Moreover, the failure to respond had nothing to do with it being unexpected. It was simply that all the necessary procedure were either not available because of decommissioning of facilities or because of sheer stupidity. People like Costello, Pollock and Sridar knew exactly what needed to be done right from the start and were not listened to.

All we need to learn is not to have stupid people in charge. It is not even as if they were protecting economic interests - it was clear from the start that policy would be the worst possible for economic outcome.

ukxmrv, obeat, sebaaa and 16 others like this.
  3. Frankie

Frankie Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’ll wait and see what is suggested here and put together something that might result in a thoughtful response from Stephen Holgate.

Couldn’t agree more about putting stupid people in charge - words fail.

sebaaa, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea if it caught us all by surprise then how come the German Government had set up a network of laboratories to diagnose cases i.e. in advance of this pandemic? Answer is other countries had put systems in place after bird flue, SARS 1 ---.

ukxmrv, sebaaa, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  5. Frankie

It was announced today that Professor Holgate is to be Sir Professor Holgate for service to the country in addressing COVID19. I look forward to the day when someone will be knighted for services to PwME. :trophy@:)

ukxmrv, sebaaa, MSEsperanza and 4 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Canada we were reassured early in the pandemic that we were 'prepared' and learnt from the SARS outbreak in 2003.

We were given a false sense of security and nothing was done.

mango, sebaaa, MSEsperanza and 6 others like this.
  7. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hasn't Wessely been?

sebaaa, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  8. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, the devil has advocates so surely it also has doctors.

ukxmrv, obeat, Leila and 1 other person like this.
  10. Frankie

My understanding is the SW was knighted for being eminent, also for retiring and making way for someone else to try to do a better job. Good of him. :whistle:

Simbindi, MSEsperanza and Leila like this.
  11. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trying to understand the sense behind the quarantine rules applying to people with unclear symptoms and not tested.

Is it dependent from the course of the illness how long one will be contagious?

So if you have mild symptoms from the beginning and symptoms are still present after 10 days, how likely is it that you're still contagious? Would it make sense to get tested at this stage?

Another question, as the commom cold is spreading over here, too: How likely is it to have both Covid and a common cold at once?

Apologies if that has been discussed already. I didn't manage to follow this thread and now am too brain-fogged to search and skim.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    merylg, MEMarge, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure if this is an answer to you, but if someone develops symptoms and you have been in contact with them it is possible they gave you the virus while they were still asymptomatic.

It will take a few days for you to develop symptoms but you also could be spreading the virus before then so it makes sense to self isolate for a few days to see what happens rather than risk making someone else sick.

If the original source is negative then you are fine but if they are positive you need to stay away from people for the 14 days it can take for symptoms to develop.

A negative test at this point could be a false negative so it is not useful.

If your contact tests negative but seems to have covid anyway it could be a false negative test and you could still become sick.

ladycatlover likes this.
  13. MSEsperanza

Thanks @Mithriel . Perhaps I should provide more background.

Had a look at the NHS England website for advise on possible infection with the Corona virus and it seems much easier than what the RKI in Germany advises. But as I don't know on which evidence they base their advise I can't decide which of both makes more sense.

The NHS advises to self-isolate and take further action if you have one of 3 symptoms -- fever, new, persistent cough or loss or change of smell/taste.

In Germany, you don't need to have one of those symptoms to qualify for self-isolation if you instead have one of the following symptoms: shortness of breath, rhinitis, sore throat, headache and aching limbs, general weakness.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ...gshilfe_Buerger_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

It's not easy to find this information on the RKI Corona website even in German. So if people with mild symptoms bother at all, they still need patience to find any official advise.

Also, we don't get testkits for testing at home. At the doctors' offices that offer testing and at the other testing sites in the hotspots there are long waiting times. People have to stand in a queue or sit in a room or tent with other sick people for hours.

So, many people that should self-isolate but don't need sick notes or don't need medical treatment won't get tested and won't stay at home either.

In addition, in the hotspots here, many infections now can't be tracked back anymore.

Hence the question, if you still have (mild) symptoms that qualify for self-isolation 10 or more days after the first symptoms occurred, how likely is it that you are still contagious?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    merylg, Mithriel and Leila like this.
  14. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merylg and ukxmrv like this.
  15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But this doesn't demonstrate whether people are able to be infected through such contact.

merylg, FMMM1, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Under lab conditions in the dark, I believe.

17. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm surprised not to have seen more discussion in the news about the prospect of a diagnostic, mass-produced 'chip' where you'd put a drop of blood on it and it could diagnose Covid-19, like this sort of thing. Do the bioscientists among us here fancy its chances? Surely such a thing could be a game-changer.

merylg, Sean, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2020
  19. MSEsperanza

Kreye, J., Reincke, S.M. & Prüss, H. Do cross-reactive antibodies cause neuropathology in COVID-19?. Nat Rev Immunol (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41577-020-00458-y

Kitty, merylg, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neurologic and neuroimaging findings in patients with COVID-19

https://n.neurology.org/content/95/13/e1868