The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Snow Leopard @Jonathan Edwards rumour mill is that the UK will approve the Oxford vaccine (on 28th December). Is there a phase 3 trial ongoing in the US on this vaccine?

Grateful for any info.

merylg likes this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks.
    I don't have any information.

MEMarge, merylg, TrixieStix and 2 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AstraZeneca claimed at the end of November that there were ongoing trials in US, Japan, Russia, South Africa, Kenya and Latin America.

I personally wouldn't approve it as for many people vaccine choice will be either-or and the AstraZeneca vaccine has substantially inferior efficacy, such that using it will require 20-30% more of the population to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity compared to the two mRNA vaccines.

Notably, for drug approval, subsequently developed drugs generally have to prove they have at least equivalent efficacy/safety to be worthwhile.

Sid, merylg, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Following on from my previous post:

"Modelling of COVID-19 vaccination strategies and herd immunity, in scenarios of limited and full vaccine supply in NSW, Australia" 19th december
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.15.20248278v2

The bold claim is why the AstraZeneca data is currently problematic.

5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, I heard Vincent Rancaniello (TWIV microbe TV virology podcasts) say that 75% of the population needs to get the vaccine for herd immunity to occur.

FMMM1 and ukxmrv like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

It all depends on the assumptions about transmissibility and network behaviour. If the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines need 75% to be vaccinated, then it is even more likely that choosing to use the AstraZeneca vaccine over the alternatives is a big mistake.

merylg, Sarah94, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  7. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does that vary by country?

FMMM1 likes this.
  8. FMMM1

I wonder if EU has rules re this; however, if you're not subject to an "external" regulatory framework then I guess that leaves flexibility.

9. FMMM1

Thank you @Snow Leopard if the new variant has higher transmissibility (OK that's disputed) then the vaccine may need to be more effective i.e. to achieve herd immunity.

Snow Leopard likes this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That may depend on the amount of wastage. There have already been two reports that I have seen of refrigeration failure leading to loss of product.

11. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with what you are saying but what about countries which won't get either the Moderna or BioNtech vaccines next year, would they be better off having a less effective AZN vaccine?

merylg and Binkie4 like this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Loss of product has nothing to do with number needed to vaccinate for a given threshold of "herd immunity".

In the long run, they'd be worse off. There are going to be more vaccines available next year that may also have superior efficacy. All the claims that poor countries deserve an inferior vaccine because it is a little cheaper just make me feel quite angry.

If anyone wants to use the AZD1222 vaccine, they'd have to have a good reason to do it right now, e.g. vaccinating healthcare workers right now, or selective ring-vaccination. I don't think the general population should be vaccinated with a clearly inferior vaccine.

lunarainbows, FMMM1, merylg and 4 others like this.
  13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, but it has an effect on the comparative cost/benefit anaysis.

14. Snow Leopard

Yes, a strongly negative effect as herd-immunity will not be able to be achieved regardless of how many people are vaccinated.

FMMM1, merylg, chrisb and 2 others like this.
  15. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bloody hell this is dystopian stuff!

lunarainbows and merylg like this.
  16. Sarah94

17. Jonathan Edwards

My reaction would be that this was obviously the situation anyway, even if there was no new variant. The level of spread has been allowed to rise such that we are bound to have more deaths next year than this unless there is complete lockdown for a couple of months.

Everyone seems to have been living a fantasy watching the figures rise.

The relevance of the new strain is just that people will have to do things properly to get levels down like last May. All flights need to be cancelled. There need to be bans on moving from county to county except for food delivery and so on. Schools must stay closed. It can be done but people need to get real.

18. Sarah94

I think I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the new variant spreads more easily because less viral load is needed to get ill? Is that true???

JemPD likes this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

I don't think anyone knows yet.

An important thing to remember is that if the faster spread of the new variant is due to something easily avoided - like talking to people without a mask or touching plates and glasses and not washing hands then if people are careful and avoid these things the new variant will spread no faster than the old one.

MEMarge, FMMM1, merylg and 7 others like this.
  20. Sarah94

Thanks

MEMarge, merylg and JemPD like this.