1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea what we really need is insight like: 90% get coronavirus through close contact (via droplets in the air) i.e. in enclosed spaces and not wearing a mask ---- 1% get it through contact with a surface on which the virus has survived 24 hours +

All fictitious of course, but I'm not sure whether there are realistic ways to assess the % of people acquiring the virus through specific routes --- grateful to be corrected though.

Kitty, merylg, MarcNotMark and 3 others like this.
  2. Frankie

Frankie Established Member (Voting Rights)

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen suggestions to this effect before, but:

People with blood type O may have lower risk of Covid-19 infection and severe illness, studies suggest

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsl...es-suggest/ar-BB1a2JGS?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=ASUDHP

I'm not sure how statistically significant the numbers are, but am I right in thinking that non-O blood groups tend to be more prevalent in people of BAME origin?

5. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting! Here’s a useful explanation of blood groups: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-groups/

Edit to add - I’m not sure the differences are great enough to draw this conclusion though!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Kitty, hinterland, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty and Michelle like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SARS-CoV-2 infects the brain choroid plexus and disrupts the blood-CSF-barrier in human brain organoids

https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fulltext/S1934-5909(20)30495-1

Kitty, Michelle, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  8. Frankie

Professor Holgate spoke briefly tonight in the Southampton University Distinguished Lecture about the similarities between long COVID and ME/CFS.

In answer to the question that you put, Trish, Stephen Holgate said that the ME community is a neglected one, with the existence of the illness often being denied. He thinks that COVID will put a spotlight on post viral illness, leading to an understanding of the seriousness of the illness, and that it is an exciting time for the ME community. There is a lot to learn from us.

A link to a recording of the lecture is to come.

Kitty, Michelle, Tom Kindlon and 9 others like this.
  9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof Holgate also said something along the lines re ME "there is almost a denial in medical circles of its existence, let alone how serious it is".
    He was very pleased to be asked this question "as he has spent the last 7? years working on ME, that it is a very exciting time for the ME community...there are lessons to be learnt"

As a Southampton alumnus I heard about this early. Were you at Southampton @Frankie, or is it just your nearest Uni?

Kitty, Andy, merylg and 2 others like this.
  10. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is an article from the university of British Columbia (UBC) about a clinical trial for COVID

Drawing closer to COVID-19 treatment breakthrough

Link to article

Kitty, Mij, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  11. Frankie

Hello MEMarge. Yes, I was at Southampton Uni as a mature student from 1985 to 1988. I wonder if we overlapped?

Kitty and MEMarge like this.
  12. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty and Frankie like this.
  13. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds very exciting: https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-10-1...elop-extremely-rapid-diagnostic-test-covid-19

But:

Kitty, Michelle, Andy and 2 others like this.
  14. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Remdesivir has 'no meaningful impact' on COVID-19 survival, huge study finds

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/med...tudy-finds/ar-BB1a6un2?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=ASUDHP

Admittedly, not yet peer-reviewed, but still:

Kitty, Michelle, merylg and 3 others like this.
  15. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I finished in 1980, so no. I had such a great time there and really enjoyed studying Physiology and Biochemistry.

Kitty, Frankie and Snow Leopard like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

Title : Covid-19 Vaccine Protocols Reveal That Trials Are Designed To Succeed

Link : https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...s-reveal-that-trials-are-designed-to-succeed/

If this article is true then having a covid vaccine is unlikely to prevent people getting the disease, it will allegedly, at best, just reduce the severity of symptoms. So, Covid-19 has brought in an entirely new definition of what a vaccine is intended to achieve. So, start expecting more of these useless vaccines that we will all be expected to have in future, whether we like it or not.

17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this point is overblown. Most vaccines are not "sterile" immunisations - they do not completely prevent infection, yet we are able to prevent spread all the same, since the infection is significantly limited.
    Lots of people are talking shit about "mucosal immunity" without understanding what that is. IgG is found in the respiratory mucosa, and several vaccines have shown IgA antibodies, so the claims that there will not be any "mucosal immunity" from intramuscular injection method of administration are not evidence-based.

Fact is, that if the vaccine can significantly reduce symptoms, it will reduce spread due to lowering the number of days which an individual has high enough viral load to infect others.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  18. Arnie Pye

But not me.

I use as my yardstick the vaccinations I got as a child or young adult. I don't hear of outbreaks of (for example) diphtheria and whooping cough in the UK, and I was vaccinated against those.

Before Covid-19 the fastest development of a vaccine from beginning to end was the one created to prevent mumps, and that took four years.

I am not an anti-vaxxer. But my hackles have been raised by several things about any possible Covid-19 vaccination.

1) It's apparently going to be tested on the elderly - the frailest possible group.

2) I have never been happy about the fact that pharmaceutical companies are no longer held liable for their mistakes in connection with vaccines. I want the general population to have some kind of leverage to keep pharma companies honest.

3) Any Covid-19 vaccine will be delivered without any knowledge of possible long term effects.

4) Covid-19 is a coronavirus. There are, as yet, no vaccines or antiviral drugs to prevent or treat human coronavirus infections. So, my trust in any Covid-19 vaccine is limited by that.

19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Our fine fellow of a Prime Minister thinks that those on social security should have it first, or lose their benefits. :mad:

20. Arnie Pye

Wow! That particular idea had passed me by!

alktipping likes this.