SugarSquared
Senior Member (Voting Rights)
I couldn’t agree more. It’s a no brainer to me honestly. Buspirone is probably easy to get, prolactin is easy to test. The method used sounds like the challenges I’ve done before for investigating diabetes and lactose intolerance: get a baseline, ingest something, wait, take another measurement, repeat as often as necessary. I’ve never worked in a lab, but this seems just so simple to me.In my opinion, the prolactin response line of research should be a top priority. It should have been a top priority 20 years ago. There were fairly consistent results finding increased prolactin response in ME/CFS in the 1990s and 2000s, and then, for no clear reason, it just..stopped? As far as I can tell, the most recent study testing prolactin response was published in 2010 (Weaver et al).
Surely there must be straightforward avenues to continue this research. It seems that after those old studies, there were still disputes about whether the findings implicated serotonin or dopamine. Aren't there many safe agonists of serotonin or dopamine? Why not try more of them, to help triangulate which specific neurotransmitters or receptors are involved?
I don't know what's going on. It doesn't make sense to me that the research into this just stopped. I'd think that an objective marker like this would be seen as an amazing opportunity.
I’ve gotten increasingly frustrated seeing funding being announced for studies into immunology and metabolism but seemingly less for neurology. As you say, this should be top priority. We could see if dopamine, serotonin, or some other neurotransmitter is not functioning normally as was proposed thirty years ago.
I reached out to a lab at UBC a month ago who seem like they would be perfect for this. They’ve never done ME/CFS research before, so I sent them an email with my story and asking if they’d consider researching our illness. I got an initial positive response, so I sent a follow-up with research including this one. I unfortunately haven’t heard back yet.
I’m also considering reaching out to the people who did the Loss of vesicular monoamine transporter 2 in striatum of long COVID and relationship to neuropsychiatric symptoms paper. It’s a loose connection of dopamine between the two, but I think it could be worth it. It would be cool to have them use their neuroimaging at the same time as measuring the prolactin.
I think we need to reach out to as many people as possible to tell them about this. Hopefully someone will end up picking it up. We can’t let this be forgotten again.

