1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sun article - INVISIBLE ILLNESS The 5 signs your constant tiredness is actually chronic fatigue syndrome – as 90% of cases are missed (Aug 2019)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Contibutions from Dr Sarah Jarvis, Charles Shepherd (MEA), Sonia Chowdhury(AfME), Leonard Jason.
    although they do say it's not just 'tiredness' they do seem to focus on it!

at least they didn't ask Michael Sharpe for his opinion..

full article here
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9...c-fatigue-syndrome-as-90-of-cases-are-missed/

2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Worth looking at the patient info. It’s pretty good. We discussed it on Facebook previously, it’s not perfect eg activity management, reverse therapy promo & severe definition but it’s much better than the usual establishment stuff and the dr Sarah Jarvis is a media dr so useful to have onside.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's actually not a bad article! If this sort of story is filtering down to papers like the Sun, then it's getting to lots of new people. And it's not pitched as a them-and-us ME article, but as you-might-be-suffering-from-ME, which possibly makes people more likely to read.

Hutan, DokaGirl, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I have no respect for this newspaper whatsoever - not from Liverpool myself but it was appalling on Hillsborough.

However I decided to read the article and agree that this is a positive development. 1. People who read the Sun are just as entitled to get help with health as anyone else. 2. Healthy People who read the sun need education about ME just as much as anyone else.

Along with the Mail the Sun is now also putting the Guardian to shame with unbiased article. I’m not counting the opinion piece by Frances Ryan i mean health content by staff journalists.

MEMarge, Hutan, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish I'd known (when I had the mild version of the illness without knowing it) that the following were symptoms:

- light sensitivity
    - waking up too early

Webdog, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wow, that was quite a good article! What a pleasant surprise.

this bit
    made me laugh... I mean if only! right?
    I think she meant brushing your teeth or turning over in bed, rather than walking to the shops, I'd love to walk to the shops, they really have got no concept of how severe it gets do they.

But hey other than that it's excellent, top marks to the Sun

7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree the patient.info site seems to be pretty good, that is the 'for professionals' page at least, it aint perfect but crumbs it's the best mainstream thing I've seen in yrs.
    The non professional page persists in going on about 'tiredness'.... ugh! but otherwise it's not bad.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

ahimsa, Barry, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.