1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Traumatic brain injury - similarities with and differences to ME/CFS, including PEM

Discussion in 'Neurological diseases' started by livinglighter, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone ever had all their pituitary and hypothalamus hormones tested (there are quite a lot of them) after severe illness or injury affecting the brain?

According to this link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_hormones

(I'm dubious about the following numbers because I wasn't sure which column I should be counting!)

Anterior pituitary produces 8 hormones
    Posterior pituitary produces 2 hormones
    Hypothalamus produces 8 hormones

I don't think its true that if one hormone from the pituitary or hypothalamus is low that they will all be low. Nor that if one hormone is absent they will all be absent - but they might be.

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I used to eat a lot of fruit but have a lot less now, after learning about the issues with fructose. Try to stick to the recommended 1-2 pieces a day, and shift the balance towards more vegetables.

Not always easy with lots of delicious tropical fruits available here, and often quite cheap. Mangosteens, of course, being the possibly the nicest food I have ever tasted, are exempt from that rule. :woot: But they are one of the expensive ones, even here where they are actually grown, so are self-limiting anyway.

3. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I want to look into this as I have a few abnormalities indicating I could have some hormonal issues.

Peter Trewhitt and Arnie Pye like this.
  4. Mister Person

Mister Person Established Member (Voting Rights)

Could PEM be, when neuron action potential fires, use of atp, atp require mitochondria and defective mitochondria generates more ROS, and then ROS causes DAMPS release from within the cell itself that the mitochondria is in, and that DAMPS released then activate glial cells which causes Inflammation cause pain and fatigue via activating pain nerves?
    Do ROS damage the cells that they are released from?

Here i am just learning the very basics of biology and wondering

bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.