1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial of CT38 for ME/CFS by Cortene Inc.: big claims being made...

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sasha, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In looking at changes in cerebral spinal fluid, Baraniuk found
    "The changes in brain chemistry — observed in levels of miRNAs that turn protein production on or off — were seen 24 hours after riding a stationary bike for 25 minutes.

“We clearly see three different patterns in the brain’s production of these molecules in the CFS group and the two GWI phenotypes,” says Baraniuk."

inox, Simone, adambeyoncelowe and 4 others like this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From earlier in this video, in her conversation with Dr. Nahle, I got the impression that, in the event that the Gulf War Illness trial showed good results, they would proceed with an ME/CFS trial relying entirely on computer simulations - as opposed to going through the lengthy process of developing an ME/CFS animal model. It's possible that those simulations would indicate the same procedure for ME/CFS as for GWI, but I don't know. The two diseases seem to manifest in opposite ways following exercise, but it might be that both of them can be addressed by "resetting" the same underlying system. There have been indications that Dr. Klimas was going to start an initial ME/CFS trial relatively soon, if it has not begun already.

3. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I can't find is any indication the GWI trial has begun. We've all seen these interviews where Dr Klimas says she has the cash and will start the trial, but nothing more has appeared.
    Yes, she does say the diseases manifest differently after exercise, but she seemed to say the symptoms are very similar.

adambeyoncelowe and MeSci like this.
  4. Forbin

This is what Dr. Klimas says in the video above, which was recorded in mid-October 2017.
    Early 2018 could be as late as the March/April time frame. From the above, it seems like the gating issue for pursuing an ME/CFS trial at this point would be whether or not the Gulf War phase one study was "promising." I would guess that any initial trial would involve relatively few patients and would be looking to see how well the procedure is tolerated as a first step.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forbin,
    Are you saying this GWI trial is beginning in March? I thought it was already begun in Dec 2017 (at least from her other video). Klimas' had a sister with ME who died, I'm not certain of what causes.

6. Forbin

No, you are right. As far as I know, the GWI phase one trial began in Dec 2017. She says that, if the results of that trial are promising, then she hopes to be doing a ME/CFS trial in early 2018. I was just saying that a trial said to begin in "early 2018" could start as late as March/April 2018.

adambeyoncelowe, Andy and Aroa like this.
  7. Stuart

Stuart Established Member (Voting Rights)

Oy (facepalm), really? Again with this 'stress loop' nonsense. Been here, done that.

It is a rehash of the idea of heterogeneous chronic fatiguing illnesses caused not by a pathogen, but by a 'stress loop' inappropriate response. Regardless of physiological findings, this is a BPS favorite. 'Reset' ideas of the inappropriate 'stress loop' have been made before (by Cort as well, welcome to Groundhog Day).

Idiopathic chronic fatigue is not ME, ME is not a fatiguing illness, although they try to make it one. Conflating ME with the CDC whole cloth invention after the Tahoe outbreak of 'CFS' which is nothing more than idiopathic chronic fatigue disappears ME.

Creating a false illness lends itself to false illness models and treatments. We've been here before. I'm dubious and underwhelmed so far. A drug in search of a purpose and we are the wastebasket to drop it in.

mango, Hutan, Simone and 10 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Of course, psychological stress is not the only kind of "stress" there is.

What if you get into some kind of stable "loop" or altered homeostasis due to the physical stress of a severe infection ("worst flu ever")? Or the physical stress of a bodily injury?

What if your body's response to physical stress can be exaggerated by overexertion, sleep deprivation, poor diet, toxic exposure or genetic susceptibility? None of these are psychological stresses.

It is also probably a mistake to conflate the possible effectiveness pharmacologically suppressing/blocking the HPA axis with the reduction of psychological "stress" through psychotherapy. If there is an altered homeostasis in place, one which can apparently remain stable for decades, I've seen no evidence that any amount of "calming" psychotherapy is enough to break that feedback loop. Once established, the part of the loop that could be nudged by "calming" influences might not even be a significant part of the loop, if it's part of the "loop" at all. It might well be like trying to put out a burning house by blowing on on it.

And all of this has absolutely nothing to do with the dominant psychological explanation for ME/CFS, which is that patients are deconditioned by lack of exercise due to the holding of false illness beliefs which can be addressed by CBT. None of that psychobabble is done on the theory that the effects of psychological "stress," let alone physical stress, are bumping a molecular signalling system into an altered, aberrant, yet stable state.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Hutan, inox, adambeyoncelowe and 10 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but just watch it change.
    The paradigm is already shifting- but the treatment remains the same.
    Biomedical and stress are proving a bit like " sustainable"in the green context- sufficiently vague that it means all things to all people.

10. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's all way over my head and I can't tell whether it makes any sense but perhaps the proof of the pudding, etc.:

That's a very short timescale for a rapid indication. I don't know how well designed their test is likely to be.

12. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

adambeyoncelowe, madone and Aroa like this.
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Part 2 is out

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2018/02/17/cortene-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-hypothesis/

Ok.

In my experience, cortisone improves symptoms, and insulin is low (without diabetes) suggesting insulin sensitivity (this might just be my subgroup).

In my opinion another inconsistency with this hypothesis is that stressors are not equally likely to lead to symptom aggravation. Exertion stands out. I don't view emotional stress as particular problem, but a repeated walk to the park can easily induce delayed symptom aggravation.

Who knows, maybe it will all work out in the end.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Simone and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  15. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it seems this is proposed pathology?

I may be totally off, but from reading wikipedia this is how some antidepressants work.

Except for that second part.

One thought is that would a 5-HTA1 agonist specific to the ralphe nucleus be effect - there are 2, but i also read

In any case I remain heavily on the fence about all this.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  16. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few initial, unfocussed thoughts:

• It's an interesting hypothesis. Overall I'm sceptical, for reasons set out below, but it's worth noting one item that isn't driving said scepticism: it is true that were this to pan out, the BPS crew would almost certainly claim it as a vindication of their theories. However that is to do with the fact that the BPS model is almost entirely unfalsifiable - as facts emerge, just dial up or down the B, the P or the S accordingly and one can still claim any illness meets the BPS criteria. This hypothesis may be proposing a model that colloquially could be described as 'in the head not in the blood' but what it *isn't* proposing is the false illness beliefs model that underpins ineffective and potentially harmful CBT/GET approaches. So any criticism that follows is not because I'm unwilling to look favourably on any model that involves ME/CFS primarily arising in the brain rather than body (given the paucity of conclusive evidence, I don't think I could rule out either with any scientific certainty).
    • That rather long disclaimer out of the way, I do have a fairly major issue with the hypothesis as written up: there are far too many references to 'studies say' without references - I'm going to try and find links for these as I'm always suspicious the Fox News 'some people say' approach when it comes to 'studies say':
    I'm aware of studies measuring cortisol levels but this seems to be arguing cortisol levels fall but cortisol sensitivity increases? Is there much evidence for the latter?

That seems to be a reference to this study, which did at least exclude comorbid psychiatric illness, but which is small.

Need citations for this one. We should be wary of the 'early in life' claims as they have a number of issues: dubious Conversion Disorder diagnoses where the practitioner can skirt the fact that a patient doesn't have any such early trauma with the catch-all 'ah, but your traumatic memory is supressed'; also, early-life adversity claims in ME/CFS patients have often been based on studies with dubious selection criteria in which the patient group is likely to include people suffering anxiety or depression. Also, this bit doesn't tie with the later parts of the article that seem to suggest that excess serotonin is impeding the ability to use muscles, whereas this bit seems to be viewing the 5HT1A desensitisation as leading to an anxiety-related disorder.

Again, it would be good to have links here. I have two concerns: the impacts described above don't seem to tie in with what one might see in Serotonin Syndrome - and to an uneducated layman such as myself I would have expected some overlap. Similarly, as somebody who his spent his teens/early twenties out clubbing, I have *ahem* some insight into what elevated serotonin levels feel like - and sadly ME/CFS feels nothing like that...

(Right, I've run out of time so I'll keep going through the rest of the article later and edit this post accordingly...)

Hutan, Simone, Inara and 12 others like this.
  17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does it feel like?

Chris likes this.
  18. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But then antidepressants would significantly affect and even treat ME/CFS

This is snake oil, they are preying on our desperation and their own greed. That said they can try and prove themselves and if they do i will change my mind but so far this has my BS detector going overtime and i can't spare the energy to let it keep running.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  19. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's funny - my only reference point as to how bad ME/CFS could feel when I was healthy was actually how it felt the day after taking amphetamines quite a few times in my youth and dancing all night.

You feel like there's nothing left in the tank, stuff is difficult to achieve cognitively, everything feels "off" and you have to drag yourself around a lot. You just feel very empty and given the fact that you're experiencing a comedown from frazzling all your serotonin levels, very depressed too.

As my only reference point, I would say it is probably as bad or maybe slightly better than my current level of health, which is severe ME (again, a fluid term, but for me means housebound apart from doctors appointments, spending all day lying down on a bed with meals needing to be made for me, and very little ability to use distractions like Netflix etc).

J.G, Pibee, adambeyoncelowe and 5 others like this.
  20. madone

madone Established Member

No they would not treat it.

sb4 likes this.