1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial of CT38 for ME/CFS by Cortene Inc.: big claims being made...

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sasha, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the problem is that we do not yet know if anyone was helped. Feeling better after receiving a drug is not the same as being helped by it. That is why we have controlled trials.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Hank G, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I can't agree with your comment. Until there is a double blind trial, we can't know whether it works for anyone. Nor do we know whether the side effects will be worse for people with ME than GET as you suggest. That is simply not known until after the trial. I think it's irresponsible to encourage people to try drugs simply on the grounds that they are currently being tested.

I assume you are familiar with the Rituximab story which looked so promising in early trials, but turned out not to be a beneficial treatment for ME after all. And some people were give Rituximab privately before the trial results came out - a waste of their money and at risk to their health from possible side effects from what turned out to be an ineffective treatment.

3. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hello @Trish. But, was´nt the Rituximab Trial based on an untested hypothesis? I am not suggesting that the Cortene Trial would be any better but it is certainly built on a hypothesis very similar the "Metabolic Trap" hypothesis, which I personally find to be quite convincing (that is my subjective view of this). What do you think?

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Dudden. No I don't see that it makes any difference whether there is a hypothesis or not. As I understand it, the hypothesis the Cortene test is based on is unproven. We can only know if a drug is effective if it has been properly tested.

Sarah94, rvallee, Inara and 2 others like this.
  5. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. I think what I meant to say was, if Davis and Phair have similar ideas to Cortene, it would mean much. But as you say, it is quite early to tell if the trial is successful. Let us hope that it will result in a positive outcome.

Trish likes this.
  6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was an email sent to people on a mailing list. Is that hype?
    They say themselves it's too early to say more.
    It's just an update for interested people, and I'm thankful for getting this info.

7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Semmelweis and Amw66 like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They most likely will still publish something even if it is a null result. (which wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately)

9. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any results on this

10. Semmelweis

Semmelweis Established Member

Sarah94 and chelby like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or it just represents questionnaire answering bias because the study was not blinded....

Simone, Milo, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

13. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just because CRF2 activation is necessary & sufficient to produce learned helplessness, that doesn't mean that LH is the only thing that it can cause. Just did a bit of googling and there seemed to be plenty of other things mentioned in relation to CRH (corticotropin releasing hormone).

14. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the registration of the trial:

"The primary endpoint will be the change in the average total daily symptom score (TDSS), over 28-day periods immediately prior to the first treatment (pre-treatment) and immediately prior to exit from the trial (post-treatment). The TDSS is the sum of 13 individual symptom scores, each recorded daily by the patient on a 6-point scale (0=none, 1=very mild, 2=mild, 3=moderate, 4=severe, 5=very severe). [...]

The secondary outcomes will assess function (assessed by patient record and, Fitbit monitoring), effects on vitals, orthostatic intolerance (assessed by standing tests at enrollment and exit) and general health status, as well as safety assessments."

Simone, feeb, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2019-8-30_8-29-46.png
    Hmmm ... my wife has never given up, and never ceases to keep striving! But she still has ME.

upload_2019-8-30_8-28-12.png

Simone, Chezboo, ringding and 2 others like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So far this model does not even remotely capture PEM from what I can see. Its another chronic fatigue model. I hope I am wrong.

PS ... unless they are not working on learned helplessness as a model.

Cheshire, Simone, Milo and 4 others like this.
  17. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well. At least they've had the honesty to pre-register the outcome most likely to be subject to bias as the primary outcome, instead of switching it later, I guess?

Sid, Hutan, Simone and 3 others like this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How fitbit data matches with symptom scores will be interesting. For the record I was using symptom scores to titrate treatments, in a clinic, in 1993. These were used regularly, but objective measures were determined from time to time.

Trish likes this.
  19. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll want to see the paper to see the definition of 'reacted' here. Especially given the high placebo response in the Rituximab trial.

Sid, Milo, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  20. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Hutan, Simone, EzzieD and 5 others like this.