United Kingdom: Science Media Centre (including Fiona Fox)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Esther12, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow scrolling through that made me so angry. And the number of contradictions are crazy!

Hutan, Sean, Lou B Lou and 3 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yep. The internal inconsistency alone should be enough to sink that ship forever, let alone the external inconsistency with the actual evidence.

Kitty, Yann04, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Relevant since ME/CFS is generally categorized as a "functional something or another", lots of pwME have been misdiagnosed with FND, and the same is happening with Long Covid:
    I guess "anything but psychologically driven" doesn't mean "all in the mind", though? There's no point giving these people the benefit of the doubt, decades of building lies only works to support the notion that this is what they believe. We even have their own words admitting that they settled on functional because it makes it easier to lie to patients, and it looks like some are getting bored of the whole strategy and would rather say the quiet part out loud.

The comment is about this paper: Functional Neurological Disorders: Challenging the Mainstream Agnostic Causative Position 2024 Scamvougeras and Castle.

Kitty, Lou B Lou, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  4. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always assumed that Wessley and co. genuinely believe in their theories and that they are correct. But seeing this number of inconsistencies in their own theories almost makes me think they might have malicious intent. (I’m sure they don’t but it is not hard to imagine).

bobbler, Sean, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

see
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/nice-...s-now-been-published.6197/page-23#post-117533

they changed their definition of recovery (P. White):

"One recent focus of criticism has been whether CBT and GET can actually bring about recovery or remission from the illness, not just reduce the symptoms. And by recovery we mean recovery from a patient’s present episode of illness – which is not necessarily the same as being cured, as someone might fall ill again.

To address this we did another test on the data, and found that 22% of people could be considered as recovered with either CBT or GET. Though not a large proportion it was about three times more than the recovery rates achieved by the other two treatments. Other studies showed similar proportions recovering after CBT."

bobbler, Sean, JohnTheJack and 2 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neither can even do that. That's how clownish and scammy this whole thing is. We keep hearing about how the only thing doctors can do about LC or ME (or POTS, or IBS, or whatever) is to treat or reduce symptoms, but they can't even do that, and CBT and GET obviously don't either. It's so ridiculous how decades and millions of lives have been wasted arguing over how many twirls or arabesques or whatever can angels dancing on hairpins do.

In fact in the case of GET it literally makes them worse. That's how insane this all is. They're talking about imaginary gains while in real life it's real losses.

bobbler, Kitty, Sean and 5 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The 2002 Australian Guidelines had their fair share of the usual problems, and are now way out of date. But one thing they did get right was this very important statement at the end of the medico-legal issues section:

In the absence of evidence of malingering, speculative judgements about unconscious motivation should be avoided. The psychoanalytic concept of “secondary gain” has been misused in medicolegal settings and does not rest on a solid empirical base. In evaluating patients with CFS, hypothesised secondary gains should be weighed against manifest secondary losses. The notion of “abnormal illness behaviour” is contentious, and the term should not be used as a diagnostic label. [page 31]​

Med J Aust. 2002 May 6;176(S9):S17-S55.
    PubMed listing
    PDF (auto download from MJA site)

bobbler, shak8, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is one reason the "recovery" paper is fraudulent. The protocol said "recovery." The paper is called "recovery." In the text, they acknowledge they are talking about "recovery" from the "present episode of illness." There is a word for that. it's called "remission." Remission and recovery are not synonyms. They did not include this caveat in the protocol and it is disgraceful they were allowed to change the definition of "recovery" in the paper itself. This is a paper about purported "remission." Has little to do with "recovery."

9. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Just looking at this thread and wanted to read the factsheet, but the link is now dead.

Would anyone by any chance be able to help with a PDF? Thanks.

Hutan likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

11. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Great. Thanks, Andy.

Andy likes this.