Well-known, famous people with Covid-19 and Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Forbin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There remains the issue of who is the party legally responsible, I guess in most cases it would be their respective governments, but a lot of professional athletes have a strong case of losing out on millions in income as a result of the negligence surrounding Long Covid.

Not that millions matter that much when you lost so much, but money drives everything so that may be a stronger legal case than a humanitarian one, which clearly means very little after so many governments have openly let vulnerable people to die just because it would be too hard not to, even said so out loud.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2023
    Ash, Amw66, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof Bob Wachter (UCSF Chief of Medicine).

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1679322231003033600.html

TLDR: First Covid infection. Syncope in shower and gave himself a (small) subdural haematoma and an uncomplicated/stable cervical spine fracture, along with face and scalp lacerations.

Ash, Binkie4, livinglighter and 9 others like this.
  4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I often read his opinions in our local paper and thought him slightly cavalier about covid risks. I am sorry to hear how serious this turned out for him. Not pleasant at all.

And yet, he wasn't going to increase his mask use, back several months, after his unfortunate shower sequelae.

Edited to add: I realize from the photo of him in the SF Chronicle that he is a lot younger than I am and therefore at much less risk of serious outcomes of covid. Hence my comment made about "cavalier attitude" of risks. I was and still am quite strict in protecting myself because of age and having already enough physical limitations not to risk acquiring more, or worse.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
    Starlight, livinglighter, Mij and 7 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Mij

7. Mij

Ex-Canuck Brandon Sutter set to start his NHL comeback after long-Covid battle.

And he went to get vaccinated, because that was just the right thing to do. But, it seems, the vaccine triggered bigger symptoms, putting his off-season training to a halt.

His heart-beat would race to extreme levels during exercise and then wouldn’t settle when he would rest. He struggled at times climbing stairs. He would get exhausted helping out around the house and playing with his kids.

The universe just wasn’t on his side, something he long ago came to terms with. Getting vaccinated was the right choice; his timing was just very, very bad he believes.

“I wish I would have waited until I felt 100 per cent healthy before getting the vaccine, but at that time, nobody really knew the answers on this stuff,” he said. “It was trial and error and really didn’t work out for me. I’m in no way an anti-vaxxer.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hock...ter-set-to-start-his-nhl-comeback-in-edmonton

Ash, Binkie4, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  8. Mij

Yup, I'm definitely not getting vaccinated this fall for that reason. It seems the booster I got last December and this past May triggered something and my legs felt weak without exertion. I got Covid December 4 of last year.

Ash, Binkie4, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  9. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. rvallee

I mentioned Jonathan Toews (pronounced "taves", if you're unsure) a few times before, pro hockey player in the NHL, who has been struggling with what appears to be Long Covid. He was a star player, with some good years left if he was healthy.

It's pretty frustrating how the doctors made up this chronic immune response syndrome to avoid saying ME/CFS, or something like it. As far as I'm aware there is no such thing. Here there is a mention of LC, but as a similar thing. I've seen several announcements and most don't give the actual reason.

So he has taken a full season off 2 years ago, returned to play last season, with poor performance for him, he was 35 years-old so far from washed up, and is taking another season off. Professional salaries are fully insured so he hasn't lost any earning so far, but for the next season he is foregoing income, as he is unsigned for now.

Ariel, RedFox, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler, NelliePledge, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

CNN: First lady Jill Biden tests positive for Covid-19

Ash and MeSci like this.
  13. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I always feel really sad when I see a tales of a celebrity with a long term illness in anyway similar to ME or LC or Fibromyalgia or any condition circling the MUS drain. Having to explain or minimise or deny this in front of a massive, as we all well know a hostile audience, must be terrible. Simultaneously I also feel intensely envious that they get to deal with the personal catastrophe of failing health while luxuriating in all their money and connections. I’d take a relative loss of status over an absolute one any day.

The exceptions to my envy are children/teenagers of celebrities or celebrity children who get sick and have adults talking about publicly. That’s awful.

In any case this thread can be real downer huh?

14. Mij

COVID-19 rampant among musicians despite “end of the pandemic”
    A remarkable number of musicians—from Ringo Starr to Harry Styles—have canceled concerts and other appearances in the past year due to acknowledged cases of COVID-19 or, more frequently, due to undisclosed illnesses. While governments have averted their eyes from the COVID pandemic, halting its reporting of cases and other crucial data, observable phenomena such as an epidemic of canceled shows demonstrate that the deadly, highly contagious disease is still very much with us.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/09/24/uhyn-s24.html

bobbler, Ariel, Ash and 6 others like this.
  15. Mij

Young Egyptian actor, director Ahmed Samy El-Adl dies of cardiac arrest.

Ahmed Samy El-Adl, a Young Egyptian actor and director and the son of the late prominent actor and producer Samy El-Adl, died on Saturday morning due to sudden heart failure, his family announced.

His condition was likely connected to previously detected blood clots in his lungs, which were a result of a prior COVID-19 infection, according to his family.

The young filmmaker, who was in his thirties, was set to undergo surgery to treat the clots affecting his heart performance.

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCo...tian-actor,-director-Ahmed-Samy-ElAdl-di.aspx

bobbler, Ash, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  16. rvallee

Unfortunately, according to experts in so-called evidence-based medicine, he just wasn't motivated enough to get over his anxieties and recover from the sick role to make millions of dollar. Or whatever it is they tell themselves.

Ex-Canuck Brandon Sutter retires after long-COVID comeback stalls
    Sutter did not play for the Canucks in the 2021-22 season due to dealing with symptoms of long COVID
    https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ex-canucks-brandon-sutter-retires-long-covid

Sutter did not play for the Canucks in the 2021-22 season due to dealing with symptoms of long COVID and he was not re-signed by the team for the 2022-23 season.
    “I’m grateful for the opportunity that (general manager) Ken (Holland), (head coach) Jay (Woodcroft), and the Oilers organization have provided to me the past few weeks,” he said in his statement. “You need to be 100 per cent healthy to compete in the NHL and although my health continues to improve, in consideration of my health and family, I am officially retiring from hockey.​

bobbler, Hutan, Ash and 4 others like this.
  17. Mij

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2023
    RedFox and Ash like this.
  18. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. SNT Gatchaman

Paul Lynch, winner of the 2023 Booker Prize.

https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/features/paul-lynch-interview-prophet-song

Guardian

20. Mij