Well-known, famous people with Covid-19 and Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Forbin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guardian: Lobbyist turned psychotherapist Derek Draper dies aged 56

2. SNT Gatchaman

Emma Samms, Long Covid SOS patron, writes about living with an Invisible Illness - Long Covid

hellytheelephant, Nellie, Ash and 9 others like this.
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Lean on the counter, definitely. In the early days of ME I carried on having a couple of friends round to play darts in my cellar. I quickly learnt that sitting down and standing up again between turns exhausted me, leaning against the wall in the corner between turns was definitely the lesser of two evils. I don't try to play darts at all now and feel much better for it.

hellytheelephant, Ash, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The trouble for me is that it is the muscles at the backs of my legs that are most affected, so the best option for me is to kneel on the stool that is near the cooker, for example, when cooking.

I also often suffer brain fog when standing, so shopping would be much easier sitting down.

Ash, Nellie, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My solution to the kitchen sit stand dilemma is to sit on a high stool.

Ash, NelliePledge, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  6. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find i can't get close enough to the worktop with a high stool, so end up at a weird angle and keep having to get up to the cooker, sink etc.

I have low stool I can sink onto while waiting for thing to boil, cook etc.. which works for me.

Ash, bobbler, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

ThreadReader — "It's been nearly a yr of long COVID: POTS, PEM, debilitating fatigue. Here's what I've learned about my illness in the past year"

Ash, Sean, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Hutan, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mij

10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I've heard Bryan Johnson on the radio this year, talking about the extraordinary lengths he is going to to live healthily and so extend his life. That's a really interesting article about him suffering long term consequences from Covid-19 in 2022.

JohnTheJack, Ash, Mij and 2 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dude is just not motivated to live healthily.

Is the biopsychosocial explanation for his illness. What absurd crockery.

Solstice, NelliePledge, Ash and 2 others like this.
  12. Hutan

:) The post-infection illness is probably because of his perfectionism. Or alpha personality. Or hyper vigilance.

There's always a reason that blames the ill person, that's the joy of the BPS theory.

JohnTheJack, V.R.T., rvallee and 6 others like this.
  13. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You missed out that the illness is also probably an excuse to do nothing. So it is due both to people wanting to do too much and also wanting not to do anything.

V.R.T., rvallee, obeat and 9 others like this.
  14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The Goldilocks theory of disease, and how to cure it.

rvallee, Solstice, Trish and 5 others like this.
  15. SNT Gatchaman

Martin Griffiths: UN relief czar says long COVID is forcing him to step down

“The truth is that my health has been affected by long Covid and this has limited my strength to undertake the breadth of travel essential to my position,” Griffiths, the under-secretary-general in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, or OCHA, wrote in a parting note to his agency’s staff, which was obtained by Devex. “Because I cannot be sure to regain that strength fully, I need to step aside for someone to be selected and to take over.”

Griffiths, a former British diplomat and humanitarian, has served for years as a leading U.N. troubleshooter, heading U.N. peace efforts in Yemen and serving in U.N. humanitarian posts for UNICEF, Save the Children, and ActionAid. He was appointed to the U.N.’s top humanitarian relief job in May 2021 and took up the new task in July of that year.

“Within 10 days I was in Tigray, Ethiopia, at the time the global epicenter of crises,” Griffiths recalled in his note, paying homage to the corps of humanitarian relief workers he has led for the past three years.

---
    (I guess it was the pandemic stress that got him...)

NelliePledge, Eleanor, Trish and 5 others like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

Zurich Insurance’s responsible investment head resigns because of long Covid | Archived

17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Did they pay out her disability/income insurance policy, or make her fight for it?

:p

18. Mij

Fans Say Lady Gaga 'Should Be in Prison" After Performing with the Middle of the Crowd While Sick With COVID

She even continued to walk directly through the audience after testing positive for COVID-19

In a video uploaded to X, she explained that she disclosed the diagnosis to every member of her team, assuring them that they didn't have to work or perform that day if they weren't comfortable with it, but that she was going to go on with the show. "I just didn't want to let all the fans down," she explained, further defending the decision by suggesting that "the fans were all putting themselves in harm's way every day coming to the show" anyway. :emoji_thinking:

LINK

Sean, mango, Solstice and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mij

After Lady Gaga's recent bragging that she performed for FIVE NIGHTS while fully infectious with Covid, her make-up artist, Sarah Tanno, reveals devasting struggle with long covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PPp7_Nm0Q

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Yann04 like this.
  20. Hutan

Peter Trewhitt, Yann04 and Trish like this.