When is lack of scientific integrity a reason for retracting a paper? A case study.(2020) Fiedorowicz et al. (about homeopathy for CFS)

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Woolie, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This, in an editorial in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research:

@cassava7 - perhaps there is something here that could contribute to your IQWIG submission?

MEMarge, SNT Gatchaman, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

We recommend assessing the integrity of the blind for any clinical trial, particularly those utilizing subjective outcomes

How about you just make it an explicit policy to not even consider, let alone publish, trials that lack adequate controls?

RedFox, MEMarge, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  3. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Possibly, but contrary to the 36% figure from the Hjóbratsson paper, the MetaBLIND study is often cited nowadays to justify that blinding is not essential for PROMs despite its methodological shortcomings. @ME/CFS Skeptic has had a helpful article published about this in the Journal of Health Psychology, though.

MEMarge, Lilas, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't so much the percentage figure, more something like:
    Even the editors of the Journal of Psychosomatic Research have acknowledged that history provides many examples where practitioners of medicine have believed that a treatment was sound, when it turned out to be ineffective. Further, they note the importance of good quality blinding when there are subjective outcomes.

5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

We have hard evidence that PROMs are unreliable for ME (and also for asthma). I doubt they are isolated examples.

Not using adequate control of the variables breaks all the fundamental rules of science.

MEMarge, Lilas, inox and 4 others like this.
  6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard of double blinded but what does triple blinded mean?

Barry and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The person who runs the numbers on the results, in addition to the patient and the prescribing/administering clinician, doesn’t know which treatment is “real” and which is placebo.

MEMarge, Barry, Lilas and 1 other person like this.
  8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I've blogged about this editorial of theirs, and yet they still keep on publishing studies with the design we all know is shit.

9. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I may be so bold -and slightly off topic- I would pay money to have access to audio an collection of you reading out your Trial by Error blogs perhaps one short piece per month?

One of the ‘I’ve written to you about this issue before and still not received a satisfactory response’ genre might not be too onerous? :geek:

MEMarge, Hutan, oldtimer and 3 others like this.