You sent me down a rabbit hole.
I couldn't find the blood part but ...

... he does seem to be a particularly arrogant type of person.

I came across a YouTube video titled A Career in Psychiatry by the NHSMedicalCareers channel.
I thought the subtitles are worth archiving. I put them in a spoiler to facilitate quoting.
[Reporter]: I'm with Simon Wesley, Professor of Psychological Medicine at the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College.
[Reporter]: Simon, tell us a little bit about yourself and what led you to psychiatry.

[Wessely]: Well, I was doing medicine because I wanted to be a doctor, although I can't quite remember why that was now, but I did.
[Wessely]: And I was enjoying it.
[Wessely]: But as I was going through the medical curriculum and courses, I went first to Cambridge and then I integrated an art degree, then I went on to Oxford.
[Wessely]: I was more and more interested in some of the wider issues. It wasn't just about putting up drips, doing cardiac arrests and learning the practical side of medicine, although that was crucial.
[Wessely]: But I found myself more and more being drawn to some of the wider issues and things that we were talking about and the more complicated parts of medicine.
[Wessely]: And more and more into psychiatry that seemed to take a broader view of people than just seeing it as a collection of cells or a collection of organs.
[Wessely]: Psychiatry did see people like that, but also it was the main discipline that saw people actually as people as well. And I found that fascinating.

[Reporter]: So who makes a really good psychiatrist?

[Wessely]: Well, psychiatrists, I think there's for certain things that they're not. They're not normally quite as decisive action figures, superheroes, like our surgeons like to think of themselves.
[Wessely]: We are a little bit more patient, a little bit more reflective. But I think most of all, we are more curious about people, how they are, how they think and what they do.
[Wessely]: What is the things that make them tick? And we are fundamentally those who see people as more than the sum of their parts.

[Reporter]: Do you think psychiatry has got an image problem?
[Wessely]: We do have an image problem. It would be ridiculous to say we don't. I mean, within the trade, I think it's the most exciting part of medicine and it's on the cutting edge of modern neuroscience.
[Wessely]: But outside, we're either seen as Hannibal Lecter or Sigmund Freud or a whole series of stereotypes. And the truth is also just as our patients are stigmatized, so sometimes the psychiatrist. And I'm afraid that is a problem that we just have to live with.

[Reporter]: But as a consultant, what are the developments and hot topics in your area that are keeping your interest?
[Wessely]: I mean, there's just so much going on. I mean, psychiatry is a bit like neurology was a hundred years ago. We're just starting to understand some of the neural basis of behaviour, thought and cognition and how that's been translated into diseases such as schizophrenia and autism.
[Wessely]: Just last week, there was a huge new finding in the understanding of the brain behaviour of autism, which is really fascinating. On the other hand, there's also issues about the impact of psychiatric disorder on physical health and vice versa that I find enthralling.
[Wessely]: And then we have the kind of broader ethical issues.
[Wessely]: Yesterday, we were involved in a huge debate on suicide and euthanasia. These are really hot topics being debated across society and they're fundamentally about psychiatry and mental health.

[Reporter]: It sounds a fascinating area, but do you have a problem actually getting enough people?
[Wessely]: We're not the most popular specialty. We know that. A lot of people go into medicine either because they really want to do surgery and the highly active stuff, or let's be honest, they want to make a lot of money.
[Wessely]: We're not going to be.
[Wessely]: We do tend to attract the people who are more widely read, who are more thoughtful,
[Wessely]: I think also are more empathic and more able to get on with people and understand people. And I'd like to say that's every single medical student.
[Wessely]: The truth is it isn't.
[Wessely]: We tend to get the people who are more patient and can actually have a genuine curiosity in people and their lives. So you do have a skill shortage.

[Reporter]: What makes psychiatry a particularly good
career?
[Reporter]: What sort of opportunities are there that you could sell this career through?
[Wessely]: I mean, first of all, there's the intellectual fascination of what we do. And, you know, whatever else you do in psychiatry, you're not going to get bored because we deal with so many aspects of life.
[Wessely]: And then within psychiatry, psychiatry is a huge discipline.
[Wessely]: And there's an enormous difference between my colleagues here who are doing neuroimaging and neurosciences as psychiatrists, my colleagues who do forensic psychiatry and look at the problems of the law and behaviour and criminality, those who do child psychiatry, work with children, those who do family therapy, those who do psychotherapy and talk to people and understand their emotions and development.
[Wessely]: And myself, I work in a general hospital. My background is in general medicine and I work alongside our physicians and our accident and emergency specialists to look at the kind of psychiatric problems and physical illness.
[Wessely]: The whole of human life is within that
word psychiatry.
[Wessely]: Just saying you're doing psychiatry, you could be doing a huge variety of things, all of which are very different. Very flexible in its subject area.

[Reporter]: What about the flexibility in the training approach?
[Wessely]: I think we are a more mature discipline. We are flexible in our training approaches. First of all, we like people to have done other things. We're very keen that people have had wider experiences across medicine. We want them to have fundamentally got a grasp of their fundamental medical skills.
[Wessely]: Absolutely, totally part of medicine. And therefore we want you to be a good doctor and confident in your medical skills. And then if you've done other things, maybe in neuroscience and basic sciences, or maybe working in very complicated, difficult situations as well, or maybe in acute medicine and A&E, we welcome all those opportunities.
[Wessely]: We're not in a hurry for you to come and join us. And the second thing is, psychiatry, its training demands are probably less than those of some of the other craft specialities. We're very open to part-time working.
[Wessely]: People do can have career breaks and come back in a way that's harder in some of the upfront specialties like Obst & Gynae or with surgery.
[Wessely]: So we can do that.
[Wessely]: I think we're probably closest to general practice in the way in which people can develop and structure their careers.
[Wessely]: But finally though, at the end, we're going to want to have a highly trained, highly competent consultant work body who are able to do the same missions of clinical work, teaching and research as all our colleagues in every other speciality.
[Wessely]: We're no different in the standards that we have.
[Reporter]: Do you have any advice you'd offer someone who is just starting out and thinking about a career in psychiatry?
[Wessely]: Well, I think the first thing is to see what it's like and put your toe in the water and see what it's like.
[Wessely]: Not to be put off by some of the Hannibal Lecter stereotypes that are around, which are actually quite humorous and real life isn't like that.
[Wessely]: And also take your time.
[Wessely]: You've got time.
[Wessely]: This is a decision you don't have to make immediately.
[Wessely]: Get a broad range of experiences that are going to help you.
[Wessely]: Read widely and that's in my speciality probably more than anyone else.
[Wessely]: To have a very good, broad cultural knowledge of how people are from history, from literature and from many other aspects of culture is actually going to be more important to us than it probably is in any other bit of medicine.
[Wessely]: So don't just read art textbooks, you know, read some great novels, read some bits of history, read other things as well.
[Wessely]: We'd like to see well-rounded people who can understand what is it that makes people tick.

[Reporter]: Professor Wesley, thank you for your time.
[Wessely]: Thank you.

There's also an e-Interview on cambridge.org in which, I think, he tries to be funny.
Note his emphasis on his own career when asked about the most admirable living or dead psychiatrists:

Thanks for that @Chandelier. There is still, somewhere, a quite explicit statement that he realised he didn't want to work with bodies.
 
There is still, somewhere, a quite explicit statement that he realised he didn't want to work with bodies.
Ok, I'm still searching.

Some nice sound bites in the meantime:
Jim Al-Khalili: OK, fine. [Both chuckle.] But you say you were interested in lots of things, you had a deep love of history. What was the trigger then, firstly for your decision to study medicine, then to go on into psychiatry?

Simon Wessely: Medicine I genuinely cannot remember. I was 15 at school, and you have to decide what you’re going to do, and for some reason I decided I wanted to do medicine. I was much better on the arts subjects than the science, sorry, Jim, but that was true, and so I end up going to medical school. How I did psychiatry is a bit clearer. It was in fact the person you’ve just mentioned. It was reading Anthony Clare’s Psychiatry in Dissent. Clare was a brilliant journalist and um I was hooked.
Jim Al-Khalili: And at the beginning, you didn’t really see yourself doing medical research?

Simon Wessely: No, not at all. But you couldn’t keep that going at the Maudsley, you really couldn’t. The research culture was very strong.
And as I got a bit older I had a stroke of luck that I went to Queens Square, The National Hospital for Neurology and that was in this fantastic hospital, surrounded by neurologists, so there were only three psychiatrists, and that’s when I really started to get interested in research, and that’s where I got interested in “chronic fatigue syndrome”.

And because these patients were being seen there. I have to be honest, and say nobody really liked them.
 
It is telling that he said “nobody really liked them”, not “no body like treating them”.

When I had a general caseload I did not enjoy treating stammerers, this was partly because it was an area of work I was not interested in, but also I was never fully confident in what I was doing. But I never thought that was a property of the patients who generally were interesting and likeable people. I hope I listened to their needs and agreed an intervention strategy that we both felt would be useful.
 
It is telling that he said “nobody really liked them”, not “no body like treating them”.
Did you know that there's a Book-a-Wessely site?
I wonder why he decided to present this particular video interview front and center?
Is it because it comes with the most sycophantic intro you could possibly stomach?
[Pospo]: Welcome everyone!
...
[Pospo]: But let's see who we have here with us today.
[Pospo]: Professor Sir Simon Wesley.
[Pospo]: To be honest, I always mix what goes first.
[Pospo]: This is professor or sir.
[Pospo]: But Google reassures me that this time I got it right.
[Pospo]: So Simon is the president of the Royal Society of Medicine and past president of
[Pospo]: the Royal College of Psychiatrists, among the million other things that he
[Pospo]: does, like writing books, writing papers, giving
[Pospo] talks, and reviewing the Mental : Health Acts as a hobby.
[Pospo]: In fact, to be honest, I'm convinced that he somehow managed to break the time-space
[Pospo]: continuum and coexist in various different places at
[Pospo] the same time as his : multitasking is beyond human reach.
[Pospo]: For unexplained humanity reasons, he also loves going to Paris on a bike,
[Pospo]: cycling, the whole thing.
[Pospo]: So he's done this eight times so far to raise funds for the Royal British Legion.
[Pospo]: In fact, to be honest, I mean, his complete
[Pospo] CV requires a whole webinar : on its own.
[Pospo]: So let's just stop there and meet the man himself.
[Pospo]: Simon, welcome.
[Wessely]: That was a brilliant introduction, Pospo.
[Wessely]: Way, way, way over the top and very funny.
[Pospo]: Simon, so last time I interviewed you, it was for the most controversial
[Pospo]: newsletter in the history of the Mosley.
[Pospo]: That was back in November 2011.
[Pospo]: I was a core trainee and you were not even a professor, just a simple everyday
[Pospo]: professor with 600 papers under your belt, a heavy belt that must be.
[Pospo]: So what changed since 2011?
...
 

Attachments

Very telling how he used to tell the story that his greatest accomplishment is showing that CFS can be treated, but his crowning achievement is entirely missing from his own resume as a NHS bigwig, and when recently asked about it, in the context of Long Covid, which has made his "greatest achievement" more relevant than ever, he waffled a word salad worthy of a ten year-old doing a book report on a book he didn't even read, and he freaking wrote the book.

The Peter Principle in action.
 
Last edited:
Home > About us > NHS England board > Our leadership team ...


"Simon was a non-executive director on NHS England’s Board from 27 January 2023 to 31 July 2025."

That statement itself is on the "Our leadership team" page which still lists him there. So what is he still doing there on the list 15 months later? "Board adviser – mental health".

What cushy job will he be given when NHS England is abolished. It is being abolished to decrease bureaucracy.

Simon Wessely to Jim Al-Khalili:

"And because these patients were being seen there. I have to be honest, and say nobody really liked them."

I have to be honest, and say nobody in the ME/CFS community really likes him either. In fact, Wikipedia states that he has been described as the most hated doctor in Britain.

I remember reading that Wessely won a medal for his work on CFS. Wikipedia mentions he "was awarded the Jean Hunter Prize in 1997[citation needed] by the Royal College of Physicians". Imagine boasting that your proudest achievement is something which, err, earns you the title of the "most hated doctor in Britain".

Based on what we know now, if there was a physical medal, that medal is not worth the metal it was cast from. Being involved in setting up or administering a "fatigue clinic" is something which hundreds of doctors across the world have done without any pomp and show. Many "fatigue clinics" are just alternative medicine quackery.

The award for "standing up for science" was for promoting and defending a now discredited treatment, combined with playing a guiding role in the acquisition of CFS patients for the first negative XMRV study in which Myra McClure and others did all the real work without reward.

Then the GBE for his "services" to the UK, no doubt has something to do with cosying up to the British Army over decades, cosplaying as a military doctor in the green zones behind a military escort. There was something about how he advises against too much briefing after trauma in the military. He did also review the Mental Health Act, I do not know how good that was, maybe he did some good?

He complained that he felt safer in war zones than at home, all while avoiding going outside the green zone.

No one should have posted online the alleged video that Valerie Eliot Smith saw, but comparing us to being worse than actual war zones or insulting Islamists, both of which has resulted in actual deaths, was a disgusting tactic to smear us, which gullible people regurgitated and called us the "terrorists of health".

How do we know the video creator had anything to do with ME/CFS? Who would be more likely to make threats, Gulf War veterans or civilians with ME/CFS? He admires the military, but he does not see GWS as a discrete entity and conflates it with CFS, so I doubt he has much respect for veterans with GWS.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom