World ME Alliance, was previously IAFME: International Alliance for ME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Without wanting to get anybody's hopes up, it does seem there is a broad change starting to come through in the UK.

Have certain 'players' in this decades long tragi-farce been read the riot act in private about raising their scientific and ethical standards?

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there anyone in a position to do such reading who is not himself mired in this?

Mind you, it would be fun if they started falling out amongst themselves. Then we might find out what had been going on.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Very good question.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only useful action BACME can take is to be dissolved, all their members retired in shame from the profession and forever holding silence about their stupid ideas. They will never bring anything useful to the field. Any involvement of theirs should be treated with high suspicion.

That being said, I think they're just angling to pretend to agree to positive change while working behind the scenes to sabotage the whole effort. I just hope this is how the other organisations treat their involvement because there is zero chance this is a good faith effort.

It's possible they'll keep trying to be relevant by switching the framing to being palliative, but I highly doubt that given the transparent efforts to sabotage the NICE guidelines. They just understand that after decades of their ideas dominating the field with absolutely nothing to show for it, they can't control the conversation like they did in the early days. But their intent is absolutely to sabotage us, their past work makes that very clear.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Inara, TiredSam, Chezboo and 6 others like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This would be my sense of their position also.

They are not people who are professionally equipped (training) to move forward with biomedical treatment or research. They (and all the others) have strategically positioned themselves with the flawed mind/body woo (which needed to have some light shone on the concept). So that they will not loose out but continue to offer an 'important' modality of treatment for any number of illnesses based on the fact that the mind is involved whenever the body is. :rolleyes:

Defending an illness as neurological is also irrelevant as neurology has been systematically infused with psychiatric woo for some time now. It has been IMO the premiere way of keeping psychiatry from it's demise as not very relevant except in a few situations where they have expertise in handling pharmacologic treatment for things like schizophrenia, psychosis and perhaps a few other ailments that could have fallen under neurology primarily if the field had been better developed sooner.

MEMarge, Stuart, Chezboo and 5 others like this.
  7. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting that this is signed by both BACME and the CMRC, as one person is a member of both, Gabrielle Murphy, who is also a member of the NICE Guideline Committee. So she has agreed all the facts of the statement. That may be of interest to patient reps on the committee.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Dolphin and 15 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting, but membership of an organisation doesn't mean that you agree with everything the organisation signs up to.

Dr Ros Vallings, medical advisor to ANZMES, believes that people with ME are excitable and Type A personalities, and yet ANZMES signed this IAFME statement that says, among other things, that there is no evidence that personality predisposes someone to the illness or perpetuates it.

MEMarge, TiredSam, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BACME guidelines (linked to all over NHS sites etc):

"Once a diagnosis has been made, patients should be considered for further evaluation to see if
    they would benefit from the evidence based treatments (CBT–cognitive behaviour therapy and GET
    –graded exercise therapy)."

Removal of just this paragraph, or adding a caution would not be difficult and could change a lot.

(But they won't do it because it is what the majority, if not all, of their members rely on for their livelihoods).

10. chrisb

Do we have, anywhere, information as to the nature of any such evaluation and the criteria which might be used to determine whether people would benefit from such treatments? Who would they rule out?

Hutan, Sly Saint, Esther12 and 4 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an interesting point. How would anyone know how to evaluate patients and 'determine' whether they would benefit? In most of medicine it is accepted that we simply don't have ways to do this for standard treatments. There is every reason to discuss treatment options with patients and see which they might prefer, for whatever reasons, but that is quite different from 'determining' whether they would benefit.

I think it would be interesting to ask BACME where this advice comes from and on what evidence it is based.

MEMarge, Stuart, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  12. chrisb

I do not wish to drag this thread of topic but it is worth mentioning on this point that the same thought struck me about discussion of the Nick Duerden book. The synopsis provided by @Trish indicated that he was rejected by the local service for CBT apparently because his anxiety was insufficient to merit the treatment. Is this the long awaited admission that the treatment is merely for the anxiety and possibly depression, and does not touch the ME.

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think I suggested it was depression. I guess I should go back and check I have my facts right on this.

14. chrisb

Sorry if I misquoted. I know it was one or the other. The underlying point remains the same whichever it was.

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't remember that. Where did you see that?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Trish likes this.
  16. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I have misremembered so have deleted post.

Esther12 likes this.
  17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe a bit off-topic for the thread but I would have liked a diagnosis of CFS over nothing during the 5.5 years before I was diagnosed. Having lots of vague and sometimes shifting symptoms meant I got little support.

18. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

I saw this on the Facebook page of the International Alliance For ME (IAFME):

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2021
    DokaGirl, Dolphin, andypants and 10 others like this.
  19. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for posting that. I've sent off a request.

Thursday is busy as we have the UK parliamentary debate in the afternoon. I think this webinar is around 18:00 UK time though.

DokaGirl, MEMarge, andypants and 3 others like this.
  20. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a website for IAFME?
    Is this group different from IACFSME?

DokaGirl, andypants and Andy like this.