1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Human Herpesviruses Are Back! 2021, Ariza

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EBV testing here is just positive or negative. They don't do serology to know which virus caused it.

Wyva, Kitty and Milo like this.
  2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really? Hm, mine was quite detailed, they looked at five different values, two of which showed 1) fresh EBV infection, 2) past CMV infection. I had no idea this is not the same elsewhere.

Kitty and Trish like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps different in paediatrics ( my daughter was 15 ) .

Just states positive, when I queried the paediatrician she advised that they don't do serology

Given we were at the start of a potential chronic illness and the different impacts EBV and CMV have longterm, I found that weird, but put it down to cost in a socially provided system .

Kitty, Trish and Wyva like this.
  4. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to see this :)
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1363893912155348995

cfsandmore, Amw66, Mij and 10 others like this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea I immediately thought of Bhupesh Prusty's work. I'm not suggesting that you assume that mitochondrial fragmentation is in fact a biomarker for ME. Bhupesh has been looking for a biomarker for mitochondrial fragmentation --- tome this paper is looking at the same problem from a different angle.

cfsandmore, Helene, Ron and 2 others like this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bhupesh Prusty has an HHV6 research test for the small non coding RNA's such as U14. Ariza and Williams are now looking at HHV6 in addition to EBV and I'm hoping they will be able to incorporate some tests for HHV6 in their work.

By the way, from reading the tweet I'm assuming Bhupesh Prusty has a collaboration with them, but I could be wrong and that may not necessarily be the case.

Hutan, cfsandmore, FMMM1 and 4 others like this.