BMJ: Rapid response to 'Updated NICE guidance on CFS', 2021, Jason Busse et al, Co-chair and members of the GRADE working group

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by rvallee, Feb 25, 2021.

1. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly we are hearing lots of descriptions of GET which actually isn't GET at all but is pacing - it may explain why some people are saying that GET works because they aren't actually doing the purist form of GET!

Peter Trewhitt, Sid, inox and 24 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I think many people just presume it to be a generalised description of a pretty vaguely defined form of therapy involving exercise, and then also assume that GET is just a shorthand way of referring to it. From that they then come up with their own variant of exercise therapy, and just colloquially refer to is as GET. Which then runs the risk of giving true GET way more street cred than it deserves (i.e. zero).

When trials seek to reproduce results of other trials, it is presumably pretty simple to identify if the treatment being tested is the same as in other trials, if the treatment is medicinal. The medication and its dosing simple to reproduce presumably. But for other therapies it can be far from obvious, yet scarily easy to presume the treatments to be the same. This is a really fundamental sanity check that should be done when designing any trial attempting reproducibility. I mean, what is the point of seeking to reproduce the results of a trial that tested the health benefits of eating apples, if in your reproducibility trial you test the health benefits of eating pears!

And by the same token, one of the first sanity checks that any systematic review should do when assessing trials, is to ascertain whether any of them fell into this trap, and failed to actually test what the authors asserted they were testing. And that means the reviewers really do need to know their stuff, and not fall into the same trap everyone else has along the way.

It is fundamental to any testing that the test specifications are right in the first place! Suppose someone writes up a flawed test specification for a repaired bicycle wheel, stating that when you turn the wheel the rim must not run out of true by more than 1.0 cm, when in fact the rim is supposed to stay within 1 mm. The wheel could be seriously damaged, but still pass the test because the test is wrong. Although my example here is blatant, it is actually a very easy trap to fall into in many cases if not careful.

I find it mind boggling that such elementary mistakes seem to be happening. I thought engineering had its share of such problems, but some areas of medicine seem to have a hell of a lot to learn.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There certainly does seem to be a lot of confusion about what GET is.
    On the other hand, I think some clinics saying they are doing pacing are actually doing a version of GET, or at least were some years ago when I was in touch with our local one. It's so tempting for an OT who doesn't really understand ME to encourage patients who they think have stabilised to make plans to add activities each week, all under the guise of pacing.

That's why I think the section on physical activity programs for those who 'want' them in the draft guideline is so dangerous. Of course we all 'want' to be able to do more, and if a program of gradually increasing gentle exercise is on offer, it can be hard to resist something that is provided by the clinic, so assumed to be helpful.

Peter Trewhitt, Sid, inox and 20 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed! OTs I've worked with have explained pacing to me in various ways, but all could be summarised fairly as 'removing activities'. There seemed to be a recognition that people with ME need encouragement to add activities like Labradors need encouragement to eat.

Peter Trewhitt, Sid, inox and 19 others like this.
  5. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because the only NICE recommended approaches were GET and CBT, these were generally the only ones that would be funded by CCGs, therefore any clinicians who realised that GET or directive CBT didn't work still had to use those terms.

6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are books with chapters on what GET is written by the people who started it all.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/wolfson/media/wolfson/current-projects/6.get-participant-manual.pdf

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Especially if as a new patient you are inevitably naive about all these things, and assume the professional would never guide you wrong.

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the issues I am beginning to see with GRADE is the idea of a graded recommendation to be dispensed to GPs. That seems inconsistent with the policy that doctors and patients should make shared informed decisions. Basically, GRADE should aim to identify the arguments in favour of using a treatment and the arguments against. Those should be crystallised in such a way that GPs can present the arguments to the patient and they can decide the strength of the evidence. If the patient wants the GP to advise r'recommend' then the GP should be in a position to explain why they do so strongly or weakly, not just say 'oh well people using GRADE come out with a medium recommendation, although goodness knows why'.

9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This.
    I don't think.people realise how difficult it us to not do things.

For children especially , the urge to regain abilities can be acute.
    Schools push and try and ramp up, friendships are strained when promises are broken: the deliciousness of a good day, and the accompanying adrenaline rush are so dangerous .

It's a hard lesson that's learned, made harder by official guidance.

10. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately the GRADE handbook does not explicitly suggest that clinicians should know (the quality of) the evidence behind a graded recommendation in order to give their patients an informed explanation. For weak recommendations but not for strong ones, it merely gives a wording that could be interpreted as such:

11. Jonathan Edwards

That seems to be waffle and the strong recommendation advise looks pretty close to coercion.
    I wonder who these GRADE people think they are to give this advice?

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

GET is the use of regular, physical exercise (and consider exercise in its broadest sense, including lifting a finger or rolling in bed) to aid recovery from CFS/ME.

Spot the problem.

13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But, but, there is more than one problematic part of that sentence!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, there is. For the benefit of those who aren't aware of the idiom, 'lift a finger' is used in phrases such as 'you never lift a finger to help me/yourself/someone'. It's used negatively to suggest that someone couldn't be bothered to do even the smallest possible action.

It surely isn't coincidence that, of all the physical actions that could have been chosen to illustrate GET, 'lift a finger' was chosen. I doubt very much that anyone had in mind a program of graded finger lifting.

15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Graded Finger Lifting is just ridiculous. Obviously we need to start with Graded Eyebrow Raising, and work our way up. :p

16. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They have evidence that doctors like their advice:

Ignacio Neumann, Holger J. Schünemann (2020), Guideline groups should make recommendations even if the evidence is considered insufficient
    CMAJ Jan 2020, 192 (2) E23-E24; DOI: 10.1503/cmaj.19014, https://www.cmaj.ca/content/192/2/E23

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's weird. So are they saying 'recommend something, even if the evidence for it is very weak and it may cause harm, so doctors feel more comfortable, and to prevent them doing something that may be even worse (or better).'

Surely the aim when you don't have an effective treatment should be 'first do no harm', and be honest with patients that there is no known effective treatment. And provide support, including ensuring the patient has care and financial support, and symptomatic treatment where available.

That was my problem with the draft NICE guideline for ME/CFS. They rejected unevidenced treatments, but then made recommendations for CBT and physical activity provision that is equally unevidenced. It was like saying we have all these CBT therapists and OT's and physios, so we have to give them something to do to keep them happy and employed, and somewhere for the GP to send patients to do something that's in the guideline.

18. Jonathan Edwards

Because clear practice recommendations are highly valued by clinicians and may prevent the use of unproven interventions, we believe that guideline panellists should always endeavour to make recommendations in the context of uncertainty.

Yes, this is parentalism, which I have discovered is the way to say paternalism without being sexist and without using maternalism either.

But there is some confusion here. I had raised the point that grading recommendations looked suspect. I am not against a guideline panel giving their opinion in terms of yes or no. But that should be accompanied by a resumé of the reasons. That resumé may make it clear that the case is strong or weak but nothing needs to be graded. Grading is a pseudo-concept here. And grading is all that GRADE is really about beyond making rational decisions after careful consideration evidence, which is obviously what should be done anyway.

Grading gets you into the business of 'you've got to have it to make you healthy' or 'I'm not going to offer it because we are skint and I don't think you deserve it'.

19. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mind you there are certain forms of finger lifting, involving two at a time.....which may be quite appropriate for patients to use!

20. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Then you could progress to raising just one eyebrow at a time. Takes a lot more concentration and practice. I never got beyond one eyebrow, but my husband can alternate.